Islam Must Be Scrutinized
My friend and fellow activist Maryam Namazie posted this today. It's worth your time to read and watch.
We are indignant to learn that due to threats made on Holland, Channel 4 has cancelled a repeat screening of the historical inquiry into the origins of Islam similar to the kind of inquiry that has been applied to other religions and histories in Britain for many years.
The threats and concerted attempt to stigmatise the documentary and its producers by attacking its credibility and even legitimacy as a field of inquiry is nothing less than an attempt to impose a blasphemy taboo by stealth and coercion against programming that scrutinises Islam.
Caving in to the coercive pressure of Islamists will have catastrophic effects on free inquiry and expression where it pertains to Islam. It would not only further silence academic, historical and theological scrutiny of Islam but would also have the chilling effect of exerting added pressure on Muslims and ex-Muslims who wish to dissent from and question Islam.
CEMB spokesperson Maryam Namazie says:
- “Here’s my question to Channel 4: what about the threats on our lives for being apostates, ex-Muslims, atheists, freethinkers, secularists, 21st century human beings?"
- “What part of our thoughts, lives, and bodies do you recommend we cancel to appease the Islamists?"
- “If only there was such an ‘easy’ ‘solution’ for those who are languishing under Islam’s rules."
- “You may accept censorship and cowardly silence in the face of Islamist threats and intimidation but we cannot afford to do so. And we never will.”
The CEMB urges you to view the documentary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm8xKh8eQqU or http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=578_1347455615&comments=1 and write to Channel 4 and Ofcom (contact information below) calling for a repeat screening.
We look forward to your support.
1. If you’d like to donate to our work, please send a cheque made payable to CEMB to BM Box 1919, London WC1N 3XX, UK or give via Worldpay or Paypal: http://ex-muslim.org.uk/donate/ .
3. See Maryam Namazie’s speech at the 5th anniversary celebration of the CEMB:
4. Join the active CEMB forum: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/
5. Addresses for Channel 4 and Ofcom:
Lord Burns, Channel 4 Chairperson, Channel 4 Television Corporation,
124 Horseferry Road, London SW1P 2TX
Avi Grewal, Programme Coordinator, Arts & Religion, email@example.com
Mark Raphael, Emma Cooper, Lina Prestwood, Anna Miralis, Commissioning Editors, Documentaries, KHall@channel4.co.uk
Ed Richards, Chief Executive of Ofcom, Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1 9HA, firstname.lastname@example.org
6. For further information contact: