‘Atheist’ is a tainted word.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2011, 02:42 PM

‘Atheist’ is a tainted word.
I would prefer to be referred to as ‘Sane’.

No distinguishing mark, no special status, no superhuman (or subhuman) abilities.

Just plain, vanilla sane.

When we call ourselves atheists, we imply that there is something special about us.

There isn’t.

We are just plain, sane human beings, dealing with the world as we see it.

The distinguishing features are all on the other side.

They are the ones who parrot mumbo-jumbo from an old book, who want to make everybody else as crazy as they are, butt their noses everywhere where they don’t belong, go ass backwards about almost everything, including survival.

And they are the worst hypocrites this sad old Planet has ever seen. Their miserable lives depend on science every day, every hour of their lives: when they eat their food, when they ride a train, fly on an airplane, cross a bridge, talk on their cell-phones, go to a hospital.

We are fully human, they are not. They need psychiatric help in milder cases, prison or mental asylum in the worst ones.

I will stop calling myself an atheist and proudly declare that I am a sane human being.

PS.

When Hitler visited a mental asylum, all the patients were taught how to do the Nazi salute. When Hitler arrived, all but one saluted him. Hitler roared: “Why don’t you salute me?”

The one who did not salute answered calmly:

“Excuse me, but I am the doctor”
Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2011, 02:48 PM
RE: ‘Atheist’ is a tainted word.
Since Mary Eddy Baker came along, the word "atheist" is far less discredited than either "Christian" or "Scientist". I prefer to call myself an "atheist".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Try: Rationalist

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
30-08-2011, 02:55 PM
(30-08-2011 02:51 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Try: Rationalist

or "sceptic" or "bright" or "freethinker" or "agnostic" or "humanist" or "secularist". They all have slightly different meanings but by and large they amount to the same people.
30-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I like the word "atheist" because I enjoy the reaction it invokes in religious believers. Probably nontheist is more accurate, but I've fully embraced atheist as a label just for the shock value. ;-)

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like nontheocrat's post
30-08-2011, 03:03 PM
(30-08-2011 03:00 PM)nontheocrat Wrote:  I like the word "atheist" because I enjoy the reaction it invoke in religious believers. Probably nontheist is more accurate, but I've fully embraced atheist as a label just for the shock value. ;-)

For me it is that when I express any view on religion I get treated so badly I think I might as stick my neck out. I am trying to be more careful about how I express my views but that just makes it more critical to use the most widely understood term. Association with the Soviet Union (and even Hitler's Germany) causes problems but the other terms are far too obscure.
30-08-2011, 03:22 PM
How about non-poopoo head face jerk smelly dumbdumb faces?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
30-08-2011, 03:44 PM

You guys are missing the point. The OP was symbolic to a large degree. It is not about what we call ourselves to the outside world – it is about what we call ourselves, in the privacy of our minds.

As long as we think of ourselves as something special, something different, we, maybe subconsciously, accept some stigma attached to us. At the least we are defensive about being atheists, even defiant or rebellious.

We think we need to prove something to the other side.

We do not – we are sane, they are not.

Religion wasn’t an issue for me, ever, until they started talking about witch burning. THEN it became an issue.

The battle ground is people’s minds, including ours.

We just should look them straight in the eye and say: “what the hell are you talking about?”

Another joke to illustrate: A priest is scolding a drunk about the evil of drinking. The drunk thinks about it for a moment and then replies: “that may be so, but by tomorrow I will be sober but you will still be a priest!”
Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Zatamon,

You are right, I didn't understand what you were getting at. In that light I'd call myself one of the free. My experience in religion was so oppressive and guilt-ridden that I instantly feel pity and sorrow for the religious believer. I see them as sick captives of a highly contagious mental disease that I was cured of. I feel nothing but relief that I am no longer one of them.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
30-08-2011, 03:58 PM
(30-08-2011 03:44 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  You guys are missing the point. The OP was symbolic to a large degree. It is not about what we call ourselves to the outside world – it is about what we call ourselves, in the privacy of our minds.

As long as we think of ourselves as something special, something different, we, maybe subconsciously, accept some stigma attached to us. At the least we are defensive about being atheists, even defiant or rebellious.

We think we need to prove something to the other side.

We do not – we are sane, they are not.

Actually I think it is more complicated than that. I "feel" under siege and under attack. Curiously the Christians and Muslims do as well even though in many countries they are the dominant social force. And I live in Britain which is supposed to be "atheist" by most standards. Ironic?

So I call myself atheist as a sort of shield, a banner, a standard around which we can rally.

Also it is more complicated than that because it is possible to make a case for religion. I would like to talk to religious people but I have generally been unable to.

Also they have something to bind them together. We atheists have far less in common than all the religious people put together.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Some facepalm moments my mum said to me after finding out I am atheist... TheLogicalAthiest 10 184 Today 11:16 AM
Last Post: TwoCultSurvivor
  Newest Accusation For Proof That Atheists Are Evil: Dr. Kevorkian Was Atheist! WindyCityJazz 3 86 Yesterday 07:54 PM
Last Post: Smercury44
  It takes more faith to be an Atheist TheKetola 40 3,680 18-07-2014 01:29 PM
Last Post: Mr. Slave
  Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library Near 164 15,416 13-07-2014 12:41 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  A Christian's response to"An atheist's critique of the Bible Jeremy E Walker 183 3,094 24-06-2014 04:40 PM
Last Post: Anna
  Oi! Aussies! Spread The Word... DLJ 54 904 21-06-2014 09:01 PM
Last Post: DLJ
  Favorite Atheist Misconception? =jesse= 45 955 14-06-2014 10:34 PM
Last Post: Sam