‘Atheist’ is a tainted word.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2011, 04:05 PM

RE: ‘Atheist’ is a tainted word.
(30-08-2011 03:58 PM)angry_liberal Wrote:  We atheists have far less in common than all the religious people put together.

I respectfully disagree.

We have human sanity in common. The kind that looks at the world without crutches, facing it with courage and determination to be honest to ourselves and to each other. We don't pretend to see what we do not, we don't parrot words we were brainwashed with as children, we say: "I will never pretend to believe in something I have not experienced and I will always stand up for the evidence of my senses and the conclusion of my mind."

That is way more in common than what any religious group could ever claim.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Zatamon's post
30-08-2011, 05:23 PM
the difference though in what is common to atheists and common to theists is that atheists hold common secular values which are practiced widely by non atheists as well. Theists often hold values that are denoted to their specific group, even if they are common values they "act" like they are exclusive values. That sense of sameness comes from the idea that there is something special. When I think of the virtues and values I generally think they aren't so uncommon. That just doesn't suggest unity.

I'm actually for suggesting that an anti thing group can be a legitimate group, but unfortunately it is based on the thing it opposes and therefore reliant on it. All of the ideas of atheism will go away if theism goes away. We do happen to have something beyond the average persons spectrum in our disbelief. Of course I think an atheist can really only be an atheist once theism is introduced, before that they aren't even not religious because they have in no way decided.

If you were to go to an island and discuss with the natives about the magical unicorn and your response was "what's a unicorn?" You couldn't really say the island was inhabited by non-believers (yes religious sometimes suggest this) the island is actually inhabited by those who know nothing of unicorns. Even in a society where religion is common if someone has never thought about it they have never made it a part of their life. Theism and it's counter atheism are based on belief and have no value without a belief.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2011, 05:30 PM

(30-08-2011 05:23 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'm actually for suggesting that an anti thing group can be a legitimate group

Like the Alcoholic Anonymous?

Quote:, but unfortunately it is based on the thing it opposes and therefore reliant on it.

Exactly my point.

Do we want to be defined by something we despise?
30-08-2011, 10:51 PM
(30-08-2011 05:30 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Exactly my point.

Do we want to be defined by something we despise?
That's why I tried to list up what I DO believe in. (The link in my signature)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
31-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Hey, Zatamon.

Quote:Do we want to be defined by something we despise?

You ARE defined by that thing. Atheists are simply not-Theists. That's it. That's all. They possess no defining qualities of their own.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
31-08-2011, 09:50 AM

(31-08-2011 09:38 AM)Ghost Wrote:  You ARE defined by that thing. Atheists are simply not-Theists. That's it. That's all. They possess no defining qualities of their own.

I guess I should have asked: "Do I want to define myself by something I despise?"

The answer is a definite NO.

For me personally religion, gods, etc are total non-issues. I lump them in with other irrationalities fueling my misanthrope tendencies. I never think of myself as an atheist. I tend to agree with Observer: I mostly think of myself as a rational and humanist person with a lot of confidence and curiosity, trying to understand the world around me and never stop expanding my knowledge and understanding.

That is why I think it would help recovering victims if they also stopped thinking of themselves as atheists and anchor their identities in something they are proud of.

However, I realize that recovery may take a long time and has to go through stages not to be rushed.
31-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Today I learned about nullifidian. I kinda like the word.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
31-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Hey, Zatamon.

The problem with Atheist is that it is a negative term. It doesn't define as, it defines as not. Just answer the question, what DO you believe? That will define you.

Matt
31-08-2011, 11:21 AM
(31-08-2011 11:10 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Zatamon.

The problem with Atheist is that it is a negative term. It doesn't define as, it defines as not. Just answer the question, what DO you believe? That will define you.

Matt

Totally true, as soon as I concluded that I was an atheist, my next thought was "OK, now that the god question is answered, what do I believe in?" I would call myself a humanist now as well as an atheist. I also became involved in local meetup groups that I can agree with.

We must be aware that when we advocate abandonment of religion we must present viable alternatives to many of the benefits and services provided by religion. A human cannot exist solely defined by what they don't take part in, at least not a healthy, happy person.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes nontheocrat's post
31-08-2011, 11:21 AM

(31-08-2011 11:10 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Just answer the question, what DO you believe? That will define you.

I believe I have already answered that question, in post #16:

Quote:I mostly think of myself as a rational and humanist person with a lot of confidence and curiosity, trying to understand the world around me and never stop expanding my knowledge and understanding.

That is what I believe in.