‘Atheist’ is a tainted word.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2011, 12:01 PM
RE: ‘Atheist’ is a tainted word.
(31-08-2011 11:21 AM)nontheocrat Wrote:  We must be aware that when we advocate abandonment of religion we must present viable alternatives to many of the benefits and services provided by religion.

Well said. I couldn't agree with you more.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2011, 12:03 PM

PS.

I also believe in trees, flowers, birds, clouds, lightning, electrons, music, love, solar power, mathematics, poetry, sculpture, physics, the Hubble telescope and vegetarianism.
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2011, 12:05 PM
(31-08-2011 11:10 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Zatamon.

The problem with Atheist is that it is a negative term. It doesn't define as, it defines as not. Just answer the question, what DO you believe? That will define you.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

One thousand times over! THIS is how you should define yourself. The only time I use the term atheist is with regard to religion. I am simply saying I am not an atheist when asked to define my stance on theism. Atheist shuld not be a term that defines someone in any way. It should simply be a definition of your stance on theism.

Besides, to change the term, but still use it as an alternate definition of "atheist" will quickly taint the new term as much as "atheist". To redefine atheism is futile. To redefine who you are as a person is a grand, complex, and ever evolving thing.

Zatamon,

I already don't think of you as an atheist. Since you joined up I've thoughtof you as a curious, questioning, inspired person who seeks knowledge and has a passionate view about the world around you. You also don't happen to believe in god. But that's a very insignificant part of who you are.

Just visiting.

-SR
31-08-2011, 12:19 PM

(31-08-2011 12:05 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Atheist should not be a term that defines someone in any way. It should simply be a definition of your stance on theism.

Of course, you are 100% right about this.

I started this thread because I realized that many on this forum are still struggling with their past and feel defensive about their present. As I said in a post above:

Quote:I think it would help recovering victims if they also stopped thinking of themselves as atheists and anchor their identities in something they are proud of. However, I realize that recovery may take a long time and has to go through stages not to be rushed.

I know it does not apply to others but I thought some encouragement could not hurt.

Quote:I already don't think of you as an atheist. Since you joined up I've thought of you as a curious, questioning, inspired person who seeks knowledge and has a passionate view about the world around you. You also don't happen to believe in god. But that's a very insignificant part of who you are.

Thank you. Smile
31-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Hey, Stark.

Here's the tricky bit though. Christianity is a Theistic category. Something like, let's say Generic Secular Belief Number One, or GSBNO, is an Atheistic category.

So if someone says, I believe in Christianity, I can say, "then you're a Theist." If someone says, I believe in GSBNO, I can say, "then you're an Atheist."

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
31-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Oh great. Thanks a lot Ghost, ya jerk. Now I gotta re-think everything! LOL

Good point....I shall continue to ponder.

Just visiting.

-SR
31-08-2011, 10:40 PM
I love the word "atheist." And I have trouble with the atheists who define atheism as a mysterious void in the universe, because that doesn't reflect how people really use the term. These advocates of "void atheism" haven't gone so far as to describe atheists themselves as mysterious cutouts in the universe in the shape of human bodies, though perhaps logically they should.

According to its actual, empirical usage, atheism means something like "the critical rejection of theism." Why? The books on the shelves about atheism at the dwindling number of chain bookstores in the U.S. (especially after the demise of Borders) have critical things to say about theism; the clerks at those stores don't leave those shelves empty, or put blank journals there according to the void definition of atheism. And an atheist, at least in this usage, means someone who skeptically rejects theism; he occupies space and time and can make positive statements about the problems with theism.
03-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Perception is a powerful effect, I suggest we cease referring to christianity, or even religion...perhaps we should use ideas like "excuse me but I hold no value in your monotheistic mythology" we often use the term "default position" , I thing the assumption that the word religion has any more merit than myth should be challenged. At best christian mythology, is a tactic in combination with a redefining of the group know as Atheist, for now with the overwhelming "theist" population it is succinct in identifying our opposition, to what is once again a default position. Perhaps soon as the species grows and Atheism is the default or at least the vastly more populous and view theist are more rare and scoffed at, perhaps like an ignorant racist would be looked at today in a room of civilized people.
03-09-2011, 06:04 PM
(03-09-2011 04:10 PM)CA Deere Wrote:  Perception is a powerful effect, I suggest we cease referring to christianity, or even religion...perhaps we should use ideas like "excuse me but I hold no value in your monotheistic mythology" we often use the term "default position" , I thing the assumption that the word religion has any more merit than myth should be challenged.

You have part of the right idea. I think we should just assume that we've already won the culture war, and act accordingly. That means theists live in our world now; we don't live as unwelcome and barely tolerated strangers in theirs.
14-05-2013, 06:15 AM
Human, I define myself as a "Human" being. That's first. "Human"

When any of these http://youtu.be/MlRG9gXriVI people that call themselves religious asks you what you are, you tell them that you are a Human being just like them and all these children around them and you.