‘Atheist’ is a tainted word.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2013, 07:01 AM
RE: ‘Atheist’ is a tainted word.
(14-05-2013 06:15 AM)Leif Wrote:  Human, I define myself as a "Human" being. That's first. "Human"

When any of these http://youtu.be/MlRG9gXriVI people that call themselves religious asks you what you are, you tell them that you are a Human being just like them and all these children around them and you.

I get what you're saying but more often than not the question being asked is phrased as "what church do you go to?", sometimes you may even be invited; "would you like to come and worship with us this coming Sunday morning?"

Its very difficult to respond with any kind of decorum in situations like these because of the implied judgements hidden within the questions. How I handle it really depends on who is asking and how I'm feeling that day. Luckily for me I rarely put myself in those situations or hang around people who would be so crass as to ask in the first place.

To an acquaintance that I wish to maintain a civil discourse the answer might be "I have a personal code never to discuss religious matters" and to the second "no thank you". Any attempt at a follow up by them becomes fair game for confrontation.

As for the video on child witches that is horrifying, just goes to solidify in my mind that "those that can make you believe absurdities can make you perform atrocities" -Voltaire

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post