Poll: Level of Social Media Addiction
What is social media?
I check a few times a day
I check a few times every minute
I have text conversations with people sitting across from me.
[Show Results]

‘We’re not communicating anymore — just connecting’

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2016, 09:22 PM
‘We’re not communicating anymore — just connecting’
How has social media affected your everyday life? or “Who has time for boredom”

“Boredom is critical. When you’re bored, the brain flips into this weird combination of locations that are activated…and what that allows you to do is it allows you to go into the mind wandering, daydreaming, and what [happens] is when you’re in that state your brain pulls together information from different places, and you come up with ‘Aha!’ moments or very good creative moments.

“We have to allow ourselves those boredom periods to be able to let our brain do what it does best, which is tying things from various areas — old memories, new memories, thoughts, just little bits and pieces. See how long you can put yourself in a boredom state with your phone next to you; it’s very difficult.”

And how to fight the impulses =

“Real-world socializing: Rosen points to the recent phenomenon of “cellphone stacks,” where people who are out to dinner or drinks place their phones in the middle of the table and agree that whoever grabs their phone first pays the tab.”

Are you addicted? I am, though I try to fight it.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
17-09-2016, 09:29 PM
RE: ‘We’re not communicating anymore — just connecting’
I like the stack idea. Texting/phoning during dinner is uncouth.
17-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Never had one. Never will.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-09-2016, 11:06 PM
(17-09-2016 09:29 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I like the stack idea. Texting/phoning during dinner is uncouth.

I have on occasion, stood up and walked away without saying a word to the guilty party. Sometimes the person you are having a conversation with tells you up front that they are expecting an important call (boss, spouse, child) and I can understand this and appreciate it. But it is my opinion that the person/s sitting directly across from you should have dibs on your full attention.

Sometimes when the person I’m having a conversation with cuts me off because of an incoming call I’ll pick up my own phone and call them to see what they do. More than once they’ve put the first caller on hold to answer my call! Then they look at me bewildered and ask why I’m calling, at which point I say INTO the phone that I just wanted to talk. Evil_monster

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
17-09-2016, 11:41 PM
(17-09-2016 09:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  How has social media affected your everyday life? or “Who has time for boredom”

“Boredom is critical. When you’re bored, the brain flips into this weird combination of locations that are activated…and what that allows you to do is it allows you to go into the mind wandering, daydreaming, and what [happens] is when you’re in that state your brain pulls together information from different places, and you come up with ‘Aha!’ moments or very good creative moments.

“We have to allow ourselves those boredom periods to be able to let our brain do what it does best, which is tying things from various areas — old memories, new memories, thoughts, just little bits and pieces. See how long you can put yourself in a boredom state with your phone next to you; it’s very difficult.”

“Real-world socializing: Rosen points to the recent phenomenon of “cellphone stacks,” where people who are out to dinner or drinks place their phones in the middle of the table and agree that whoever grabs their phone first pays the tab.”

Does TTA count as Social Media? I'm guessing it does but I have nothing to compare it to.

I've only used one other social site (I forget its name) but that was for an experiment with a female friend to get an understanding of on-line objectification - we used each other's identity for a week or so. Fascinating and revealing but deeply unpleasant.

Having no desire to use anything else (I rarely even check my emails) I wonder if this is connected to my limited capacity for boredom, which may support your point.

But isn't 'boredom' considered to be a mild form of anger? E.g. a frustration that is satiated by distracting oneself with solitaire or a news feed. Implying that social media is an opiate - in the Huxley sense and perhaps in the Marx sense too - further implying that the social aspects of religion are just an old form of social media (to satisfy the need for inclusion, confirmation, a pseudo-purpose etc.)

Would it not be more accurate to state, “The contemplative state is critical. When you’re in neutral, the brain flips into this weird combination ... etc."

I would agree with the premise if social media was merely a receptive mechanism rather than a participatory one.

Consider

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-09-2016, 09:22 AM
(17-09-2016 11:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 09:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  How has social media affected your everyday life? or “Who has time for boredom”

Does TTA count as Social Media? I'm guessing it does but I have nothing to compare it to.

I've only used one other social site (I forget its name) but that was for an experiment with a female friend to get an understanding of on-line objectification - we used each other's identity for a week or so. Fascinating and revealing but deeply unpleasant.

Having no desire to use anything else (I rarely even check my emails) I wonder if this is connected to my limited capacity for boredom, which may support your point.

But isn't 'boredom' considered to be a mild form of anger? E.g. a frustration that is satiated by distracting oneself with solitaire or a news feed. Implying that social media is an opiate - in the Huxley sense and perhaps in the Marx sense too - further implying that the social aspects of religion are just an old form of social media (to satisfy the need for inclusion, confirmation, a pseudo-purpose etc.)

Would it not be more accurate to state, “The contemplative state is critical. When you’re in neutral, the brain flips into this weird combination ... etc."

I would agree with the premise if social media was merely a receptive mechanism rather than a participatory one.

Consider

I think it could be either, a bored person is not necessarily being contemplative.

18-09-2016, 09:22 AM
(17-09-2016 11:06 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 09:29 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I like the stack idea. Texting/phoning during dinner is uncouth.

I have on occasion, stood up and walked away without saying a word to the guilty party. Sometimes the person you are having a conversation with tells you up front that they are expecting an important call (boss, spouse, child) and I can understand this and appreciate it. But it is my opinion that the person/s sitting directly across from you should have dibs on your full attention.

Sometimes when the person I’m having a conversation with cuts me off because of an incoming call I’ll pick up my own phone and call them to see what they do. More than once they’ve put the first caller on hold to answer my call! Then they look at me bewildered and ask why I’m calling, at which point I say INTO the phone that I just wanted to talk. Evil_monster

Love it! When I had someone in my office and we were talking, if the phone rang, I ignored it. Picking up the phone when I have a person in my office is plain rude. I've had my guest ask if I'm going to answer the phone. I tell them that if it is important, they'll leave a message.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
18-09-2016, 10:06 AM
I don'tget bored. It just hasn't happened, there is always something to do or think about. Thinking about stuff doesn't have a thing to do with being bored in my book. I am most certainly not bored when I am thinking about things.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-09-2016, 10:38 AM
On the topic of being bored, I ascribe to the tenet that, "If one is bored, one only has oneself to blame".
18-09-2016, 10:44 AM
When I was last in a movie theater, someone right behind me had a phone go off inside a backpack at their feet. It kept buzzing and I kept telling them it was happening but, they kept insisting it wasn't them!! There were three people and the one with the bag (very near my head) between their legs was oblivious.
THEN, the other two also became annoyed and tried to say it must be me who had a buzzing phone! Dodgy

That was it. I turned around sharply and with no words pointed, straight armed to the offending bag until the oblivious one pulled up the bag and removed and silenced the phone!

I missed at least four minutes of exposition!
Angry Thanks, inconsiderate fuckers!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein