Poll: Level of Social Media Addiction
What is social media?
I check a few times a day
I check a few times every minute
I have text conversations with people sitting across from me.
[Show Results]

‘We’re not communicating anymore — just connecting’

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2016, 11:00 AM
RE: ‘We’re not communicating anymore — just connecting’
I think everyone aged around 30+ are the last generation to remember when we didn't have the internet or social media to hand 24/7.

I feel old when my younger friends and work colleagues all blah on about the internet, mobile phones and fucking pokemon.

"Im not getting the new Iphone 7 on contract, im gonna spend 700 quid and just buy it"

"20 gig on my phone isnt enough, im gonna have to upgrade"

"Ive got three dates this week, its been quiet on Tinder recently"

On the bus, everyone looking down. Driving along and everybody looking down.

Tis madness.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like bemore's post
18-09-2016, 11:40 AM
I ticked that I check a few time per day. It really depends though. I work in that exact sector so on work days, I have my social media open all day because of work.
On days off, weekends, holidays, I just use it to stay in touch with friends, and share a stupid meme once in a blue moon.

Addicted? I wouldn't say that at all. I mean like most people I have the common stuff on my phone, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, Whatsapp, and so on. But privately I use it very rarely.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
18-09-2016, 05:05 PM
I have days when I can be obsessed with social media, and other days...I couldn't care less about it. I've worked hard to get away from Facebook as often as I was checking it. It was becoming a source of negativity for me, and decreasing my time on there to only maybe 20 minutes a day, has improved my mental health! Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
19-09-2016, 02:12 AM
(18-09-2016 05:05 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I have days when I can be obsessed with social media, and other days...I couldn't care less about it. I've worked hard to get away from Facebook as often as I was checking it. It was becoming a source of negativity for me, and decreasing my time on there to only maybe 20 minutes a day, has improved my mental health! Big Grin

Same.

Most of my "friends" post ironic or hypocritical garbage almost constantly. They share to much personal thoughts and opinions, and generally present themselves as someone they are not.
19-09-2016, 05:30 AM
(18-09-2016 11:00 AM)bemore Wrote:  I think everyone aged around 30+ are the last generation to remember when we didn't have the internet or social media to hand 24/7.

I feel old when my younger friends and work colleagues all blah on about the internet, mobile phones and fucking pokemon.

"Im not getting the new Iphone 7 on contract, im gonna spend 700 quid and just buy it"

Tis madness.

My bold.[/b]

That's not a new phenomenon.

[Image: kubrick-subway-newspapers.jpg]

Quote:With the advent of cheap newspapers and superior means of locomotion…
the dreamy quiet old days are over… for men now live think and work at express speed. They have their Mercury or Post laid on their breakfast table in the early morning, and if they are too hurried to snatch from it the news during that meal, they carry it off, to be sulkily read as they travel… leaving them no time to talk with the friend who may share the compartment with them… the hurry and bustle of modern life… lacks the quiet and repose of the period when our forefathers, the day’s work done, took their ease…

http://kottke.org/13/06/the-quickening-p...odern-life

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 6 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
19-09-2016, 06:36 AM
(19-09-2016 05:30 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(18-09-2016 11:00 AM)bemore Wrote:  I think everyone aged around 30+ are the last generation to remember when we didn't have the internet or social media to hand 24/7.

Tis madness.

My bold.[/b]

the dreamy quiet old days are over… for men now live think and work at express speed. They have their Mercury or Post laid on their breakfast table in the early morning, and if they are too hurried to snatch from it the news during that meal, they carry it off, to be sulkily read as they travel… leaving them no time to talk with the friend who may share the compartment with them… the hurry and bustle of modern life… lacks the quiet and repose of the period when our forefathers, the day’s work done, took their ease…

Thumbsup

The difference is these people weren’t taking into their newspapers, the newspapers weren’t flashing lights or making sounds. I think it’s more about the portability of the radio/telephone and not the reading material.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
19-09-2016, 07:14 AM
(19-09-2016 05:30 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

Tis madness.

My bold.[/b]

Good point, well made.

But what kind of uncivilised place is that where able-bodied males don't give up their seats for the ladies.

Disappoint.

No

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-09-2016, 08:54 AM
I only use them a couple of times a day for few minutes (and sometimes, I don't even connect for days). I think social media have a very negative impact on people life. I really don't understand when I see a group of people (who seem to be friends) sitting together and using their phones, not talking to each others...so is it better for them to talk to online friends instead of talking to the friends they are spending their moment with ? when they meet their online friends, do they talk to those they were sitting with a couple of days before instead ? It doesn't make sense, at least not for me.

The idea behind social media is great (I mean, allowing people to keep in touch with their friends by a simple way), but the way they are being used has turned them into something totally artificial. I would exchange a thousand of Facebook friends for a few good friends that I could see in the real life. I really don't understand the people who think otherwise.

About the boredom part, I think you can be bored even if you're active doing something. I see boredom as taking no pleasure at all in doing something. So I hardly see boredom as something positive. It is, maybe, if you only feel bored a few times a day, and enjoy that moment to think. It is not if you feel bored most of the time.
19-09-2016, 05:14 PM
(19-09-2016 08:54 AM)Sturm Wrote:  I would exchange a thousand of Facebook friends for a few good friends that I could see in the real life. I really don't understand the people who think otherwise.
My best friend, I connect with him almost exclusively via social media and Skype... There is just no other way sadly, as he lives in another country. But he knows everything about me and I know everything about him. And when we met the first time in real life, after having known him for the past 7 years, it felt completely natural. Just like we had always been meeting in real life.
I think social media is a good way to connect with like-minded people and find very good friends because of the way you meet.
In real life I always had problems talking to new people, so the Internet with all the forums and social websites has helped me really well.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
20-09-2016, 09:00 AM
(19-09-2016 05:14 PM)Leela Wrote:  My best friend, I connect with him almost exclusively via social media and Skype... There is just no other way sadly, as he lives in another country. But he knows everything about me and I know everything about him. And when we met the first time in real life, after having known him for the past 7 years, it felt completely natural. Just like we had always been meeting in real life.
I think social media is a good way to connect with like-minded people and find very good friends because of the way you meet.
In real life I always had problems talking to new people, so the Internet with all the forums and social websites has helped me really well.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it is the case for everybody, I know there are still a lot of people who use Facebook in a honest way and build serious friendships with it, I have no doubt about thatSmile I managed to recontact a few of my old good friends thanks to it, and so far it is the only way for us to communicate since we also don't live in the same country. I really don't want to give the impression that for me online friends are not real friends, that's not what I think, I know they can be, and I know they can become real life friends with no difference from those you first knew in the real life.

The social media idea is great, but what I mean, is that there are too many people (actually, a majority of those I know on Facebook) who have the feeling that they have friends, because they have a 1000 of Facebook friends while barely knowing each one of them. The social media is indeed an easy way to make new friends, that's great, but for some people, the fact that they can easily find new friends makes them give much less value to the friendships they have. Friends have become a kind of consumer product : first disagreement with a friend, and they will drop him/her and find another friend. They don't care, as long as the next picture they post still gets 50 likes. It's a bit caricatural, I know, but I know too many people who act like that and I have the feeling that the general tendency goes this way. For me, a real friendship (online or not) is strong and last for years, sometimes for a lifetime, so I think it is really sad that for so many people it has turned into some "short lasting unimportant" relationship. Maybe I am too pessimist, but I think the social media have created (or accelerated) this process of reducing friendship to a consumer product.