Poll: Level of Social Media Addiction
What is social media?
I check a few times a day
I check a few times every minute
I have text conversations with people sitting across from me.
[Show Results]

‘We’re not communicating anymore — just connecting’

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2016, 09:03 AM
RE: ‘We’re not communicating anymore — just connecting’
(18-09-2016 10:44 AM)kim Wrote:  When I was last in a movie theater, someone right behind me had a phone go off inside a backpack at their feet. It kept buzzing and I kept telling them it was happening but, they kept insisting it wasn't them!! There were three people and the one with the bag (very near my head) between their legs was oblivious.
THEN, the other two also became annoyed and tried to say it must be me who had a buzzing phone! Dodgy

That was it. I turned around sharply and with no words pointed, straight armed to the offending bag until the oblivious one pulled up the bag and removed and silenced the phone!

I missed at least four minutes of exposition!
Angry Thanks, inconsiderate fuckers!

Can we ask why your head was between this person's legs?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Yes I have a Farcebook page, but cannot figure out why people want to have a conversation on that instead of just sending an email. I get twice a day shit from Twitter. I tried, but couldn't figure out how t use it. Linkedin do they count? I get stuff from them in Spanish and French and what I think is Romanian, but am not sure. I speak Spanish and English and some Portuguese, but they don't hit me in English. Is My Space still around? My Grandson tried to get me into that 15 years ago or so. Why did I want to see a picture of his pizza? Never could figure that one out.
20-09-2016, 10:22 AM
(17-09-2016 09:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  And how to fight the impulses =

“Real-world socializing: Rosen points to the recent phenomenon of “cellphone stacks,” where people who are out to dinner or drinks place their phones in the middle of the table and agree that whoever grabs their phone first pays the tab.”

I'm confused. What is this "real-world socializing" thing of which you speak? Consider

[Image: introverts_10.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
20-09-2016, 10:33 AM
It depends on the day. At work I keep one browser tab open where I'm logged into our "database" (long boring explanation you don't need) and another tab where I usually have Facebook, or this or other fora open. I just scroll through the tabs between tasks or when I hit a lull. I don't do much "media" from my phone when I'm at home, and barely any at all on the weekends.

My wife and I do text back and forth at home sometimes, even if we're both sitting on the couch, when we want to have a private conversation without the kids interrupting. But I wouldn't say I'm a slave to "connectivity" I can go hours without looking at my phone.
20-09-2016, 10:50 AM
(20-09-2016 10:22 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 09:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  And how to fight the impulses =

“Real-world socializing: Rosen points to the recent phenomenon of “cellphone stacks,” where people who are out to dinner or drinks place their phones in the middle of the table and agree that whoever grabs their phone first pays the tab.”

I'm confused. What is this "real-world socializing" thing of which you speak? Consider

I've never heard of it, but I know some people have friends that live in the same city. Sometimes they see those friends in person. Is that the same thing?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
20-09-2016, 07:13 PM
(20-09-2016 10:50 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 10:22 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I'm confused. What is this "real-world socializing" thing of which you speak? Consider

I've never heard of it, but I know some people have friends that live in the same city. Sometimes they see those friends in person. Is that the same thing?

I think I read a blog that said that it is something like that. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-09-2016, 07:26 PM
I find myself glancing at FB once or twice a day because I follow certain groups that talk only ichthyology and photography. The rest of the posts are mostly boring personal stuff.

The there is TTA. Usually in spurts, early morning, late in the day like now.

That’s it for me, no other social media.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-09-2016, 07:29 PM
(20-09-2016 07:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I find myself glancing at FB once or twice a day because I follow certain groups that talk only ichthyology and photography. The rest of the posts are mostly boring personal stuff.

Weeping

My little feelings are hurt...I am deeply wounded even. Sadcryface

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-09-2016, 07:33 PM
(20-09-2016 07:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 07:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I find myself glancing at FB once or twice a day because I follow certain groups that talk only ichthyology and photography. The rest of the posts are mostly boring personal stuff.

Weeping

I said mostly Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-09-2016, 07:41 PM
(20-09-2016 07:33 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 07:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Weeping

I said mostly Angel

Tongue

I started with FB to keep up with new pics of the grandkids. I did reconnect with a couple blasts from the pasts. Some have turned into enjoyable connections and some I should have left in the past so that's where they are again.

I get some laughs out of few pages and people I follow. I am loving that Bloom County is back and it's only on FB-so there's that. I also follow a page from the Outer Banks because they post such great pictures. There are a couple pages regarding health issues that are common in the breed of dog that I have. Now and then I follow a new page for a while then drop it because it's just clutter. There was a couple years when my feed was filed with breast cancer stuff but I have stopped following those pages.

It's really time for me to do another cleanup of who and what I am following since I haven't done that in a while.

TTA is the only other social media thing I do except for an occasional hello over at AF.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat