“Come out of the closet” by publishing!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2018, 11:04 AM
RE: “Come out of the closet” by publishing!
(11-05-2018 12:45 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I'll be happy to proof-read and edit.

I don't have any desire to write about my own atheism, I do write other stuff and will be happy to submit that here, though.

Let me know if still interested -- I could use an editor, but something's got to be in it for you as well.

For every legend told and retold, a bit of messy but significant reality is ignored.
David Quammen, The Song of the Dodo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2018, 01:24 AM
(09-05-2018 08:50 PM)Hobosapiens Wrote:  I grew up shy and reserved. But when it came to expressing my atheism, I just wanted to SHOUT.

I just published, this month, my “coming out” in a national magazine. I'd like to do more.

I fear my brothers (devout Catholics) will stumble upon this article. I love my bros -- But...

I’m looking for a fellow TTAer interested tackling this course. We could critique each other’s work to make it fit for publication.

I'm in. What do you need from me?
[+] 1 user Likes RBMG's post
22-05-2018, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2018 12:35 PM by JesseB.)
I think "Come out of the closet" Publishing would be a pretty legit name for a publishing company.

Just pointing this out Hobo Smile

It would be a publishing company I would love to work with and be a part of.

Could focus on bringing voices out of the darkness that people generally would never hear.... if that makes sense.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
23-05-2018, 05:59 PM
(22-05-2018 01:24 AM)RBMG Wrote:  I'm in. What do you need from me?

A good story? Understand I'm not a publisher. Just looking to share writing and offer critique.

For every legend told and retold, a bit of messy but significant reality is ignored.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobosapiens's post
23-05-2018, 06:05 PM
(22-05-2018 11:46 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I think "Come out of the closet" Publishing would be a pretty legit name for a publishing company.

Could focus on bringing voices out of the darkness that people generally would never hear.... if that makes sense.

So I just had a good buddy ask me why I chose "that" story to submit to The Humanist. 1. the story has universal appeal, and 2. they certainly wouldn't censor my atheism; they embrace it!

[+] 2 users Like Hobosapiens's post
24-05-2018, 06:01 PM
(23-05-2018 06:05 PM)Hobosapiens Wrote:  
(22-05-2018 11:46 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I think "Come out of the closet" Publishing would be a pretty legit name for a publishing company.

So I just had a good buddy ask me why I chose "that" story to submit to The Humanist. 1. the story has universal appeal, and 2. they certainly wouldn't censor my atheism; they embrace it!

"I'm not a publisher" ..... yet..... Wink

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
28-05-2018, 10:38 PM
(23-05-2018 05:59 PM)Hobosapiens Wrote:  
(22-05-2018 01:24 AM)RBMG Wrote:  I'm in. What do you need from me?

A good story? Understand I'm not a publisher. Just looking to share writing and offer critique.

Concerning atheism or just in general?

Regardless I'd love to have some of my stuff critiqued.
29-05-2018, 09:30 AM
(28-05-2018 10:38 PM)RBMG Wrote:  
(23-05-2018 05:59 PM)Hobosapiens Wrote:  A good story? Understand I'm not a publisher. Just looking to share writing and offer critique.

Concerning atheism or just in general?

Regardless I'd love to have some of my stuff critiqued.

Sure, anything. I'm happy to see what you have. I've given JesseB some feedback so far, which I hope was helpful.

[+] 1 user Likes Hobosapiens's post
02-06-2018, 07:19 AM
(10-05-2018 11:18 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I wanna know how you got something published (I'm guessing you prolly didn't say fuck 70 times >.> lol)

Just write something interesting and color it well then submit it. I have been published a few times. You don't need an insider to get published, you just need to go for it.

Look for a few different publications that publish similar or controversial stuff such as you would write. Find out what their submission requirements are and then go for it.

After my first couple publications a few decades ago the editor would call me to ask if I had any new contributions for publication. Once they start liking what you are doing they may actually pay you.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!