“I can’t breathe”

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2014, 09:08 PM
RE: “I can’t breathe”
(05-12-2014 09:00 PM)BnW Wrote:  Like I said, being a cop is a tough job. And, I disagree with Pablo that concern for your safety is not legitimate. Fear of being shot is a real and valid concern. Over 100 cops, and usually over 150, cops are killed in the line of a duty a year, every year.

But, a lot of what we are seeing now is not because cops fear for their safety from citizens. It's because citizens fear for their safety from cops. What happened in Cleveland is tragic but understandable. What happened in New York is neither. It was an execution.

I didn't say that they shouldn't be concerned for their own safety.
What I said is that cops should not be so cocerned for their own safety that they kill people when their lives clearly are not at stake.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Metezoa

I agree it's no better if a black cop kills a white kid. But, this is not about one killing. It's about policies that lead to the types of incidents we are seeing. Policies live Broken Windows, which may have had good intentions, are really institutionalized racism. I don't think these cops are necessarily racist. I bet most of them aren't. But, the policies have a huge impact on the poor and minorities.

Meanwhile, a few more away from where Garner was choked to death is the US head quarters of HSBC . A few years ago they were caught red handed laundering money for Mexican drug cartels, rogue governments line Iran, and Islamic terrorists. You know how many rich white guys went to jail for that? Not a single fucking one. But, we swarm poor neighborhoods with cops to nail people with a dime bag of pot.

Seriously, how does that make sense?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
05-12-2014, 09:11 PM
(05-12-2014 09:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 09:00 PM)BnW Wrote:  Over 100 cops, and usually over 150, cops are killed in the line of a duty a year, every year.

27 last year.

Thanks for the link G-man. From the same article.

“In addition, 49,851 officers were victims of line-of-duty assaults.”

Death is not the only thing law enforcement officers have to fear.

It is a downward spiral, the people don’t trust the police because the police don’t trust the people.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
05-12-2014, 09:14 PM
(05-12-2014 09:10 PM)BnW Wrote:  Metezoa

I agree it's no better if a black cop kills a white kid. But, this is not about one killing. It's about policies that lead to the types of incidents we are seeing. Policies live Broken Windows, which may have had good intentions, are really institutionalized racism. I don't think these cops are necessarily racist. I bet most of them aren't. But, the policies have a huge impact on the poor and minorities.

Meanwhile, a few more away from where Garner was choked to death is the US head quarters of HSBC . A few years ago they were caught red handed laundering money for Mexican drug cartels, rogue governments line Iran, and Islamic terrorists. You know how many rich white guys went to jail for that? Not a single fucking one. But, we swarm poor neighborhoods with cops to nail people with a dime bag of pot.

Seriously, how does that make sense?

I will say it like this, america might have the most corrupt government of any first world country(keep in mind I said might). We live in a country where it is money>people instead of money<people. It is said yes, but I can't do anything about it.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
05-12-2014, 09:15 PM
(05-12-2014 09:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 09:00 PM)BnW Wrote:  Over 100 cops, and usually over 150, cops are killed in the line of a duty a year, every year.

27 last year. 76 when you include 49 by accident.

Interesting. I looked at another site that listed 100 for 2013. I can't link it from my phone but Google "police killed by year" and its the first link.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-12-2014, 09:17 PM
(05-12-2014 09:08 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 09:00 PM)BnW Wrote:  Like I said, being a cop is a tough job. And, I disagree with Pablo that concern for your safety is not legitimate. Fear of being shot is a real and valid concern. Over 100 cops, and usually over 150, cops are killed in the line of a duty a year, every year.

But, a lot of what we are seeing now is not because cops fear for their safety from citizens. It's because citizens fear for their safety from cops. What happened in Cleveland is tragic but understandable. What happened in New York is neither. It was an execution.

I didn't say that they shouldn't be concerned for their own safety.
What I said is that cops should not be so cocerned for their own safety that they kill people when their lives clearly are not at stake.

I don’t think anyone would argue with you. The thing is that in all instances things are not so clear-cut.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-12-2014, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 09:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-12-2014 09:15 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 09:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  27 last year. 76 when you include 49 by accident.

Interesting. I looked at another site that listed 100 for 2013. I can't link it from my phone but Google "police killed by year" and its the first link.

Well it is from the FBI. Never trust a cop. They're allowed to lie to you, you're not allowed to lie to them. Even in my teenage juvenile delinquent years back in the day I was smart enough to passively comply with all their orders lawful or not and to shut my piehole. Once they read me my Miranda rights and asked if I understood them I responded "Yes." And not another peep was heard from me.

#sigh
05-12-2014, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 09:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-12-2014 08:10 PM)pablo Wrote:  I think part of the problem is the screening process for even becoming a cop. Maybe more emphasis should be put on psychological testing.

In civilized communities like Huntsville AL, Nurse says her husband's police department puts a great deal of emphasis on that. But outside of Huntsville there are few civilized communities in AL. ... but the fuck I'm saying. PG County MD Police are like continually under the oversight of the FBI. They're clever bastards though. They won't kill you, they'll just kick the shit out of you with hardly any bruising or contusions and never any broken bones and then let you go so there ain't no record or paper trail. I think they're trained in the academy how to do that. It's quite a martial arts skill.

#sigh
05-12-2014, 09:37 PM
(05-12-2014 09:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 08:10 PM)pablo Wrote:  I think part of the problem is the screening process for even becoming a cop. Maybe more emphasis should be put on psychological testing.

In civilized communities like Huntsville AL, Nurse says her husband's police department puts a great deal of emphasis on that. But outside of Huntsville there are few civilized communities in AL. ... but the fuck I'm saying. PG County MD Police are like continually under the oversight of the FBI.

You have to go all the way down to the Eastern Shore area in Baldwin County for some of that there civilization, I know, I’ve been going there for 27 years.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Daily Show commentary.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/a9bg2k...y-decision