“Universe shouldn’t exist”

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2017, 11:46 PM
“Universe shouldn’t exist”
Surprised no one has posted this yet. Wondering if anyone has seen this in their feeds and if any of your religious friends/family are using this to say their god exists. My SIL posted a link to a conservative site that used the quote from this story as proof atheists were wrong, intelligent design reigns and scientists are morons.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/unive...s-conclude

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
07-11-2017, 12:01 AM
RE: “Universe shouldn’t exist”
At work.

I note at the tail of the artticle they mention the whole "Fall up".

Consider

I thought they'd already determined the mass of an anti particle? (It being the same mass as its 'Normal' equivalent)

What has this lay-man not understood?
Find all posts by this user
07-11-2017, 12:07 AM
(06-11-2017 11:46 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Surprised no one has posted this yet. Wondering if anyone has seen this in their feeds and if any of your religious friends/family are using this to say their god exists. My SIL posted a link to a conservative site that used the quote from this story as proof atheists were wrong, intelligent design reigns and scientists are morons.

Lol how does that reasoning work? Scientists are pondering something that they don't yet fully understand, therefor God?

Stuff is complicated, therefor magic?

Gee wiz. These scientists sure are evil dickheads for not knowing everything already.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 11 users Like Robvalue's post
07-11-2017, 12:24 AM
I don't know about the Universe, but Justin Beiber certainly shouldn't exist.
[+] 9 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-11-2017, 04:08 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2017 04:25 AM by jennybee.)
(07-11-2017 12:07 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(06-11-2017 11:46 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Surprised no one has posted this yet. Wondering if anyone has seen this in their feeds and if any of your religious friends/family are using this to say their god exists. My SIL posted a link to a conservative site that used the quote from this story as proof atheists were wrong, intelligent design reigns and scientists are morons.

Lol how does that reasoning work? Scientists are pondering something that they don't yet fully understand, therefor God?

Stuff is complicated, therefor magic?

Gee wiz. These scientists sure are evil dickheads for not knowing everything already.

And why is it always their God that's the fall back? There are and were many different creation stories with many different gods from various cultures throughout time and across the globe-all with followers who believed and believe (depending on current or ancient defunct religion) that their god creators are/were the right ones. At least give some of the other gods a chance at the glory, ffs Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
07-11-2017, 06:38 AM
(07-11-2017 12:24 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't know about the Universe, but Justin Beiber certainly shouldn't exist.

He doesn't... some people just bieleber that he does.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
07-11-2017, 06:42 AM
I'm quite happy going to my grave knowing that the universe exists... because it just does...

I'm currently more concerned with that fact that, after millions of years of evolution...I just bit my tongue...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 4 users Like unsapien's post
07-11-2017, 09:15 AM
(07-11-2017 06:38 AM)unsapien Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 12:24 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't know about the Universe, but Justin Beiber certainly shouldn't exist.

He doesn't... some people just bieleber that he does.

[Image: 2zhgpc9.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-11-2017, 09:37 AM
(07-11-2017 04:08 AM)jennybee Wrote:  And why is it always their God that's the fall back?...At least give some of the other gods a chance at the glory, ffs Wink

Could've been this guy! 😀[Image: f14b144031f0572b257329c3079846f9.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
07-11-2017, 04:54 PM
OK, I have to take with at least a small grain of salt any "scientific" article that includes the line, "That’s why it was chosen as the fuel to power the starship Enterprise in Star Trek."

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 5 users Like Dr H's post