“Why don’t you atheists kill yourselves?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2012, 02:09 AM
“Why don’t you atheists kill yourselves?"
Quote:‘How do atheists find meaning in life?’

The correspondent was blunt: “Why don’t you atheists just go out and kill yourselves right now?”

True, most Christians phrase it rather more delicately, but atheists are regularly informed by a certain kind of believer that our lives can have no value if we do not believe in their God. What is the point, they ask, of being kind or loving, caring about suffering or doing anything at all, if one day we just die?

In her article last week in The Washington Post, Paula Kirby answers the question well. I particularly liked a phrase she used that I had never heard before: "the hellish pointlessness of heaven."

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
26-01-2012, 02:40 AM
RE: “Why don’t you atheists kill yourselves?"
I don't kill myself because I know that there is nothing waiting for me after I die. This life is the only one I will ever have.

You cannot have a logical debate when the other person did not arrive at their point of view using logic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Zacktacular's post
26-01-2012, 03:03 AM
That question is completely backwards. Why would an atheist give up the only life he has? As long as life is even remotely bearable, why would non-existence be better than existence?

On the other hand, if they are so sure that they are going to heaven and this life is worthless and meaningless, why the fuck do they seek medical care? Why do they cry when their children die and therefore they get a shortcut to heaven? Why would they hold on to this life when the real thing is waiting for them right after their death? I'm not asking why they don't kill themselves. That is forbidden by most religions. But why are they even interested in prolonging this life? Doesn't disease and death mean that God wants you to come sooner? Why would you resist? Why wouldn't you go to Muslim countries to preach Christianity, knowing that it will will probably get you killed? You become a martyr, another shortcut to heaven. Why wouldn't you want that?

Now this is the truly unexpected and unreasonable position, not the fact that, as an atheist, I try to thoroughly enjoy my experience in this life BECAUSE I don't expect to have another.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 10 users Like Malleus's post
26-01-2012, 03:55 AM
And so this statement, or rather the question says all about those Christians and what kind of a horrible persons they are. If anyone asks you this, feel free to slam them as hard as you can across their face, spit in their face and walk away from them.

What they are actually saying is that they have no ethics or moral whatsoever. The only thing why would they (the believers in afterlife) be kind or loving and care about suffering is because they expect to go to Haven, they are afraid of the wrath of God and they crave for their nice and cozy afterlife. This is the worst kind of Christian hypocrisy, the worst kind of "moral" values. These are kind of people you should avoid in the street.

They are unable to understand that you can love someone out of your heart and that you can be a good person because you are a good person, not because someone is forcing you. Be very careful around people who think this way, they are sure to be republicans.

Smile

As for the short and correct answer to their stupid question... I, as an atheist, have only one life and I am using it as I feel it is the right thing to do, but why would anyone, who believes in afterlife and the greatness of it, wait all their lifetime for it, why don't you just kill yourself and go meet your maker today? Or are you scared that I am right, and that you are wrong? ASSHOLE!!

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
26-01-2012, 04:34 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 04:38 AM by Vlad.)
(26-01-2012 03:03 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Why wouldn't you go to Muslim countries to preach Christianity, knowing that it will will probably get you killed? You become a martyr, another shortcut to heaven. Why wouldn't you want that?
Ah, yeah. Can't say the same for Christians because they don't really follow the OT anyhow (and they can do whatever the fuck they want, as long as Jesus is their savior), but the OT prohibits suicide. So why won't religious Jews do just that? Go to a Muslim country, preach Judaism and get yourself killed. After all, Harugei Malchut/martyrs have a special position in Heaven, unlike the other people. I'm sure God will be willing to overlook the fact that you got yourself killed. If he's willing to condemn heretics to Hell for some petty deeds, he would certainly let believers go to Heaven even if they got themselves killed for their beliefs.
[+] 2 users Like Vlad's post
26-01-2012, 06:33 AM
Actually no, you go there because you care about their lost souls. If you succeed you're scoring with the big man, if you incidentally get killed, then you *really* scored. It's a win-win situation yet the tremendous majority say: ummm, no. Why? From my point of view, there is no heaven, i want to be alive now because, by beating all odds I, am one of the few sperms who made it to maturity. I might as well live the experience. What is their excuse?

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 2 users Like Malleus's post
26-01-2012, 06:44 AM
(26-01-2012 02:09 AM)cufflink Wrote:  The correspondent was blunt: “Why don’t you atheists just go out and kill yourselves right now?”

Because I am not a coward, running away from reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
26-01-2012, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 08:17 AM by Zat.)
(26-01-2012 02:09 AM)cufflink Wrote:  The correspondent was blunt: “Why don’t you atheists just go out and kill yourselves right now?”

Another good answer:

"Why should I? - I enjoy a very good life and have tons of fun laughing at your delusions! -- you want me to give that up? Big Grin"
[+] 3 users Like Zat's post
26-01-2012, 08:27 AM
If I killed myself then countless people would loose their way. I can't leave my followers to fend for themselves now can I?

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 3 users Like Hamata k's post
26-01-2012, 08:40 AM
(26-01-2012 03:03 AM)Malleus Wrote:  I'm not asking why they don't kill themselves. That is forbidden by most religions.

Another good question that arises from this is: why is it forbidden to kill yourself? The speculative answer, of course, is that if a religion's adherents starting offing themselves, their children, and others, then there would be no more adherents for the religious leaders to mooch money/fame/adoration/ego stroking from.

But yes, I've often wondered why many of the religious, Christians in particular, who "know" where they're going - who are so certain of heaven and the afterlife, don't want to hurry up and die already.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
[+] 2 users Like TheSixthGlass's post