“Why don’t you atheists kill yourselves?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2012, 09:53 AM
RE: “Why don’t you atheists kill yourselves?"
Um I think there's a lot of really fun good things out there in the world to experience and I'm not going to live forever so I'd like to experience as much of that as I can.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2012, 12:09 PM
I find it really odd a Christian would ask that. Let's think about it.
An atheist doesn't believe in the afterlife, therefore he knows this is the only shot at life he has. Why would he cut it short? It's much more logical to make the most out of it.
Now let's see it from the Christian perspective. A Christian believes in the afterlife. He knows this wicked world of pain and suffering is only a short stop on the way to the never ending bliss of heaven. So why don't Christians just kill themselves, skip the suffering, and go straight to the bliss part?

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 3 users Like sy2502's post
26-01-2012, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 12:39 PM by Logisch.)
(26-01-2012 12:09 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  I find it really odd a Christian would ask that. Let's think about it.
An atheist doesn't believe in the afterlife, therefore he knows this is the only shot at life he has. Why would he cut it short? It's much more logical to make the most out of it.
Now let's see it from the Christian perspective. A Christian believes in the afterlife. He knows this wicked world of pain and suffering is only a short stop on the way to the never ending bliss of heaven. So why don't Christians just kill themselves, skip the suffering, and go straight to the bliss part?

Because suicide is immoral in Christianity, you're doomed to live out all your days till you die. So you'd better be good!
I think it's the failure of grasping how atheists feel.

Atheist: When I die, there's nothing afterwards. I have one life, I'll make the most of it!
Christian: If they think there's nothing, then why bother living? I secretly hate them and wish they'd die so I didn't have to be dealing with confrontation all the time.Angel

Another potential perspective...

Atheist: I have one life, I'll live it, make the most it. When I die, I die.
Christian: God is the only reason to live! Why not kill yourself if you have nothing to live for then?

In much the way we always tell people that telling an atheist there is no god is like telling a grown man santa won't bring him presents... telling him if he doesn't have god there's no reason to live is much the same thing.

OH NO! There isn't? *seppuku*
26-01-2012, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 01:20 PM by kim.)
(26-01-2012 02:09 AM)cufflink Wrote:  The correspondent was blunt: “Why don’t you atheists just go out and kill yourselves right now?”

In her article last week in The Washington Post, Paula Kirby answers the question well. I particularly liked a phrase she used that I had never heard before: "the hellish pointlessness of heaven."

That was a good article and perfectly articulated!

I'm going to send this to a friend who was unable to put together any words when confronted with pretty much the same line of questioning. I have to admit - it's stymied me once or twice as well. Usually, I'm just stunned that people think so little of life itself. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-01-2012, 02:01 PM
If you know the movie is going to end at some point, why watch it at all ? Why don't you walk out in the middle of it ?
The meal in front of you isn't going to go on forever, so why are you bothering with eating it ?
The road up ahead is less traveled and it ends at a cliff. You can't go any further. And it's almost sunset. Why would you go that way ?

Answer "Because that way contains an abundance of life. It has obstacles that will challenge me, joys that will lift my heart, sorrows that may crush me, happiness unlike I've ever known, love that makes me appreciate the path less traveled and if I'm lucky, I won't walk that path alone, because there are others such as I, who confront our fears, tempt fate and live to observe the wonders around us."

If your path ends with an invisible bridge that goes on forever, then by all means, take that first step off the cliff. I'll jog back to my car Big Grin

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
26-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Cuz i aint done worshipping satan yet...

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 2 users Like Jackrabbit's post
26-01-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't get this question...

Wouldn't an atheist be more inclined to live an earthly life than a Christian?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Why bother? Expiration will occur soon enough of its own accord without my help.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
26-01-2012, 08:46 PM
I wuz just thinking, am I gonna be a seventy year old fool drawing a sixty-six year old Gwyneth Paltrow? Maybe; maybe I'll do some of the pics I missed of her in her thirties... but I'll be in love with the sixty six year old version. Heart

Yep, her; that's why I'm still around. What it's ll about, peeps. Find some love, spread it around; crawl in a hole and die. The rest of this crew, though... talk about accepting shit without evidence. The biologicals fail; I have no reason to consider "death of I." Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-01-2012, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2012 09:34 PM by Thomas.)
(26-01-2012 02:09 AM)cufflink Wrote:  The correspondent was blunt: “Why don’t you atheists just go out and kill yourselves right now?”
Why "go out" and kill yourself, when "staying in" and killing yourself would be much easier?
Is there a place you go to to kill yourself. Kill-Yourself-R-Us?

What is the difference between an atheist and a christian when they die?

Nothing...but the atheist at least knows it. Tongue

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 4 users Like Thomas's post