1/200+

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 12:35 PM
1/200+
At a work related conference in Norman, Oklahoma and at yesterday's opening ceremonies we recited the Pledge of Allegiance and than they had a man lead us in a prayer. I proudly remained silent when everyone else said "under God" nor did I bow my head and partake in the prayer.

I did glance around the room during the prayer and it appeared that I was the only one not participating, and it made me wonder if I was the only non-believer in the room or there were others but they pretended to fit in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2014, 12:37 PM
RE: 1/200+
Sadly a lot of people wonder this whenever they're at a group prayer and expected to participate.
I wonder at all the heads that keep coming up whenever we say grace at the family reunions.

"Are they looking for others to?" I wonder.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 1 user Likes Winterwolf00's post
14-10-2014, 01:18 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I was picked(for some unknown and bewildering reason) to lead the invocation at a National Guard ceremony once. It felt weird leading a bunch of people in a prayer when I don't even believe in God. But darkly humorous at the same time.

"But...They're good for your soul."
I HAVE NO SOUL!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2014, 01:23 PM
I suspect there were more not participating, but had their head bowed. When were are at school function and a prayer happens I bow my head so my kids to not catch flack for dad being a heathen. They go to a catholic school, there is a whole discussion that goes with that.
14-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Another Oklahoman here, I wasn't at the conference though. Though I was at a family reunion Sunday and they prayed. I slowly edged my way to the front of the food line while they bowed their heads.

Success! Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
14-10-2014, 01:44 PM
How close are you to Norman cause happy hour starts at 5:30...all the free drinks you can slam for 2 hours.
14-10-2014, 01:53 PM
(14-10-2014 12:37 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  I wonder at all the heads that keep coming up whenever we say grace at the family reunions.

"Are they looking for others to?" I wonder.

I see that a bit at my family. I know a lot more people in my generation are not religious compared to my parent's generation.

That being said, having small kids at most gatherings throws a bit of a wrench into things. Even if I still believed, my eyes would be open most of the time, anyway.

(14-10-2014 01:18 PM)fidel_cashflow Wrote:  If it makes you feel any better, I was picked(for some unknown and bewildering reason) to lead the invocation at a National Guard ceremony once. It felt weird leading a bunch of people in a prayer when I don't even believe in God. But darkly humorous at the same time.

Did you have to read a canned prayer or wing it?
14-10-2014, 08:06 PM
I haven't been to Norman since a) I would be lynched for wearing the wrong colors and b) I was sickened enough by OKC to never want to set foot in that area again. My experience in stillwater is that there are far more skeptics and atheists than you might think.
14-10-2014, 08:55 PM
So is that a "Boomer" or a "Hook Em"?
14-10-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm sorry...an "Orange Power"? I'm drunk on my work paid vacation lol.