1 dead, several injured on Ohio State Fair ride malfunction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2017, 08:26 AM
1 dead, several injured on Ohio State Fair ride malfunction
As a roller coaster lover, this breaks my heart. An 18 year old kid is dead and several severely injured after a ride called the Fireball, which is a rotating swinging ride, crashed into what looks like the barriers that are normally lowered when the ride is operating. One car seperated from the ride, sending people flying--some even fell from their seats.

The event was caught on video, but I don't recommend watching it if you're faint of heart.

Just heartbreaking.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ride-malfunc...-fireball/

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
29-07-2017, 07:50 AM
RE: 1 dead, several injured on Ohio State Fair ride malfunction
I love rides too. But they can be dangerous. I witnessed something similar to this (but on a much smaller scale) as a teen years ago at a local carnival. While I love the rides at carnivals, I think I'm going to stick with places like Six Flags to get my ride on. My heart goes out to all of these people and their families. So sad.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
29-07-2017, 08:47 AM
I didn't watch the video, but how sad for the families Sad

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
29-07-2017, 09:39 AM
I do not ride county fair rides. They are taken down and built many times a year. The crews doing so are often tired from a hectic touring schedule.

Like Jen, when I want my thrills, I go to a permanent park.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
29-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Yeah I no longer go on any carnival/fair rides--I'd much rather go to a reputable park, and even then there's always a risk. I once got stuck nearly upside-down on a ride for close to an hour at a Six Flags. I don't go to those parks anymore.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
30-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Just got home an hour ago from the county fair. Only did a couple rides, including one very similar to the one in the story. It's by far the best ride there, though the latest tragedy definitely added another layer to the "thrill".

Had a hesitation on one ride when the restraint wouldn't lock down until several tries, but I can't imagine anyone being thrown from it. It goes high and pretty fast but only goes around vertically and you stay level the whole time.

All in all a good time, prizes won, huge fucking corndog and plenty of funnel cake eaten. And it wasn't a hundred degrees out this year.

But I agree, most of those rides are sketchy as hell.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post