1 point for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 12:32 AM by Babakazoo.)
1 point for atheists
What's up guys I'm new to this forum and already spent day 1 getting bombarded by debates in different more heated threads. I'm a practicing Roman Catholic here to learn and even possibly test the little knowledge I do have. I dont want convert or anything radical like that. I am curious for this post about one thing. If you could pick one reason to be the main reason why you don't believe in any God what would that be? I probably won't respond to this thread I just want to get know the community and see what points separate us the most. Hopefully overtime I can see how we are alike and, hopefully that will overshadow the differences.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Babakazoo's post
09-03-2016, 12:43 AM
RE: 1 point for atheists
There are many reasons why I am no longer a believer. I really like Guy P. Harrison's books, they really sum up why I no longer believe. But if I had to pick just one reason I would say that reading the Bible from front to back is a big reason why I don't believe.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Mostly...

Catholics.

Tongue

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-03-2016, 12:48 AM
Education.
[+] 8 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
09-03-2016, 01:00 AM
I have two primary reasons why I am not a believer, but I'll just pick the first:

I was not indoctrinated as a child.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 6 users Like Free Thought's post
09-03-2016, 01:09 AM
Lack of evidence for existence of something called god. But if I were more thoroughly indoctrinated then perhaps I would see such "evidence" everywhere.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
09-03-2016, 01:16 AM
What Szuchow said. There's no more evidence for any god of any religion than there is for Santa or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

If I'm going to believe something that is so life-changing, I'm gonna need more evidence than some 2000 year old writings.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
09-03-2016, 01:58 AM
I concur with the others as far as the lack of evidence goes, but the reason why I don't believe in your 'loving' God specifically is because of the amount of pointless suffering (e.g. cluster headaches or trigeminal neuralgia) in the world.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
09-03-2016, 02:15 AM
(09-03-2016 01:58 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I concur with the others as far as the lack of evidence goes, but the reason why I don't believe in your 'loving' God specifically is because of the amount of pointless suffering (e.g. cluster headaches or trigeminal neuralgia) in the world.

Yup. Why should people be born brain damaged to the point that they can't look after themselves? Why should diseases like malaria exist? God is trying to teach us something? He can write on ten tablets for the Hebrews and kill large numbers of them but he can't just, y'know, say hello?

Other than that my main reason for disbelief is that it's a fairy tale.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-03-2016, 03:53 AM
I read Lord of the Rings - and I didn't start believing Hobbits, Elves or Orcs are real.

Why should the xtian bible be any different???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post