1 point for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 03:53 AM
RE: 1 point for atheists
I dont think any god that has been suggested until now in human history exists.
That is, because each one of them has been falsified. There are maybe some more or less good reasons to believe in one or another god, but one point to disprove is enough.

I like to "believe" in what can be demonstrated to be real rather than what i would like to be real. Reality doesnt care about what i like or dislike. Things dont become real, just because i like them (to be real).

Thats it, plain and simple.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
09-03-2016, 05:00 AM
No evidence for a god. Much stronger evidence that god is a man-created concept.

However, if a short-tempered, mass-murdering, incompetent, anthropomorphic god like the one Christians worship does exist, it is not worthy of worship. The god concept itself is understandable, but deeply flawed and problematic. Over time it has done more damage than good.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
09-03-2016, 06:04 AM
Education: I learned things that conflicted with my catholic background. After doing the research, I discovered that I had been lied to.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
09-03-2016, 06:12 AM
I have found no reason to believe that there is a god. The "evidence" presented in favor of the claim is always fallacious at best.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
09-03-2016, 06:13 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 06:35 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(09-03-2016 12:29 AM)Babakazoo Wrote:  What's up guys I'm new to this forum and already spent day 1 getting bombarded by debates in different more heated threads. I'm a practicing Roman Catholic here to learn and even possibly test the little knowledge I do have. I dont want convert or anything radical like that. I am curious for this post about one thing. If you could pick one reason to be the main reason why you don't believe in any God what would that be? I probably won't respond to this thread I just want to get know the community and see what points separate us the most. Hopefully overtime I can see how we are alike and, hopefully that will overshadow the differences.

Great question. There is no reason to believe in magic as there is thusfar no evidence that magic exists. The creator of all gods is man, and usually made in our own image. Some people evolve past the child-like belief in stories of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Jesus, some do not. I make this assertion based on an academic education in religious studies with a concentration in Christianity from Saint Leo University, and 25+ years of reading and research. See some of my musings (cited) here:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

I am extremely busy at the moment, but if you would like to enter civil discourse on this subject I am open to that. Helping those infected with faith is a hobby of mine.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
09-03-2016, 06:17 AM
(09-03-2016 06:04 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Education: I learned things that conflicted with my catholic background. After doing the research, I discovered that I had been lied to.

Same here Thumbsup

To blindly believe in the face of substantial, superior evidence to the contrary is the definition of delusion.

Delusion:

an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.

a false belief or opinion.

a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
09-03-2016, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 06:24 AM by cactus.)
Any time I've heard someone give a definition of what a "god" would be, they're making claims that are non-falsifiable, i.e. untestable. Untestable ideas do not warrant a belief. Many times (very conveniently for the believer Wink) this god is untestable by its very definition, and thus all qualities attributed this proposed entity are the result of goalpost-shifting and epistemic dishonesty.

Threats of eternal punishment (for simply not being convinced enough by these non-falsifiable assertions) are not a valid replacement for evidence. They are an immature and pathetically obvious attempt for humans to control each other.

Often I'll hear theists say things like "Don't you want to believe?"
What I want is irrelevant. The facts are what they are, regardless of how I feel about them.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 7 users Like cactus's post
09-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Hi.

I'm a former catholic myself. Still enjoy parts of it, but no longer believe. There are two questions, why am I left the Catholic Church and why I am currently an atheist.

To the first I would go historical education. There is nothing to make Christianity special. To the second I'd say definitions. No one has yet defined God in a coherent way b
09-03-2016, 08:27 AM
(09-03-2016 12:29 AM)Babakazoo Wrote:  What's up guys I'm new to this forum and already spent day 1 getting bombarded by debates in different more heated threads. I'm a practicing Roman Catholic here to learn and even possibly test the little knowledge I do have. I don't want convert or anything radical like that. I am curious for this post about one thing. If you could pick one reason to be the main reason why you don't believe in any God what would that be? I probably won't respond to this thread I just want to get know the community and see what points separate us the most. Hopefully overtime I can see how we are alike and, hopefully that will overshadow the differences.

Hello! Big Grin

Again, welcome to the forums. Smile

The 'One reason' I don't believe in any deities?

Simply because they are 'Incoherent'/'Nonsensical'/'Fantasy-fantastic' in their claims/abilities and attributes.

As for your not replying to a thread... that might be considered 'Rude' by some.

It is after all a forum for people to meet and share ideas. it is also an 'Open forum' so really, you can also do what ever the fek you want. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
09-03-2016, 09:37 AM
1 point for atheists
I don't believe in God because I no longer see him and he is no longer real in my life.