1 point for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 09:42 AM
RE: 1 point for atheists
There is no evidence of gods or magic. It's really that simple. I'd add I wouldnt worship the christian god even if he did exist due to it being a monster.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
09-03-2016, 09:48 AM
It's not just one thing.

Hmm. My patients are a large part of it. Failed prayer. Child rape victims.

[Image: Matthew-60079406008.jpeg]

[Image: cb7003dc1105c736e8839fdb3dcc1de1.jpg]

Sure, those are the "feels" side of why I don't believe.

I find religion to be irrational and insufficient.
There's history and science. Contradictions in the bible. How the Bible is unoriginal and got its stories from other religions. For example,Mesopotamian gods.

Observation. Stroke victims. God is not needed to explain the world around us. Frankly, it functions as though there isn't one. Doesn't matter what I feel.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 10 users Like Nurse's post
09-03-2016, 09:50 AM
I was brought up in a fundamentalist Southern Baptist church, and was taught apologetics as a means of disproving other religions (in order to prove that OURS was The Right One™, of course)... when, still a Creationist, I came to realize that some of the things my pastor and some of our guest preachers were teaching us about physics and biology were demonstrably wrong--I knew enough actual science from my voracious reading habit to recognize some of their faux pas--I realized not everything my church leaders told me was necessarily true. At that point, I turned my comparative religion and critical analysis skills on my own religion, and *poof*, it vanished in a puff of logic.

That was at age 17. By the time I was 22, I was prepared to admit that I was not just irreligious, but an actual agnostic atheist.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
09-03-2016, 09:58 AM
(09-03-2016 09:48 AM)Nurse Wrote:  It's not just one thing.

Hmm. My patients are a large part of it. Failed prayer. Child rape victims.

[Image: Matthew-60079406008.jpeg]
That's an incredibly powerful photograph.

Kevin Carter, the photographer, later committed suicide. His note mentioned the atrocities he had witnessed, along with other issues.
Photographer

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
09-03-2016, 10:18 AM
(09-03-2016 12:29 AM)Babakazoo Wrote:  What's up guys I'm new to this forum and already spent day 1 getting bombarded by debates in different more heated threads. I'm a practicing Roman Catholic here to learn and even possibly test the little knowledge I do have. I dont want convert or anything radical like that. I am curious for this post about one thing. If you could pick one reason to be the main reason why you don't believe in any God what would that be? I probably won't respond to this thread I just want to get know the community and see what points separate us the most. Hopefully overtime I can see how we are alike and, hopefully that will overshadow the differences.

"If you could pick one reason to be the main reason why you don't believe in any God what would that be?"

There is no reason to believe in one god or any gods. There is no evidence for any gods, nor any logical argument consistent with reality that supports a god(s), nor is it necessary to invoke a god(s) to explain the universe/reality.

There is literally no reason to believe one exists.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
09-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Fleas.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
09-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Another drive by. Drinking Beverage

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-03-2016, 10:33 AM
(09-03-2016 09:58 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  ...
That's an incredibly powerful photograph.

Kevin Carter, the photographer, later committed suicide. His note mentioned the atrocities he had witnessed, along with other issues.
Photographer

Kevin Carter

Hi Time magazine, hi Pulitzer Prize
Tribal scars in Technicolor
Bang bang club AK 47 hour

Kevin Carter

Hi Time magazine, hi Pulitzer Prize
Vulture stalked white piped lie forever
Wasted your life in black and white

Kevin Carter

The elephant is so ugly, he sleeps his head
Machetes his bed,
Kevin Carter, kaffir lover forever
Click click click click click
Click himself under

Kevin Carter

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-03-2016, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 11:10 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-03-2016 12:29 AM)Babakazoo Wrote:  What's up guys I'm new to this forum and already spent day 1 getting bombarded by debates in different more heated threads. I'm a practicing Roman Catholic here to learn and even possibly test the little knowledge I do have. I dont want convert or anything radical like that. I am curious for this post about one thing. If you could pick one reason to be the main reason why you don't believe in any God what would that be? I probably won't respond to this thread I just want to get know the community and see what points separate us the most. Hopefully overtime I can see how we are alike and, hopefully that will overshadow the differences.

I always wonder when the "practicing" Catholics get to stop practicing, and get to start "doing" it. Consider

There is no one thing. Life is complex.

1. Personal : My grandfather was (late in life) appointed to the Vatican as a diplomat. It confirmed my prior view, that the clergy (male actually) were just flawed normal people, and in most cases were MORE flawed than many others. That scandalized me, (initially). However, my great-aunt and her friends, really were "saintly", humorous, loving and good nuns. So I have no "ill-will" to the church in general, and they are still very much a part of my "family".

2. Other : The Bible being mythology, (on which I have an extensive education), as well as the "real truth" behind almost everything the RC Church is and stands for, is bunk. Your Moral Theology is nuts, and internally inconsistent. (we can discuss that), as well as almost all the "philosophy" that it claims as the underlying foundations of the Church, and the RC faith. The more I learned about history, the less any of it was even possible to consider, seriously.

It (religion) was fine for a while as human culture grew up into the scientific age.
It's just no longer applicable, for the most part.

You have (in some places) good music though Tongue ... at the few places that didn't jettison their cultural heritage during the 20th Century. Facepalm
Big Grin But that (culture) belongs to the human race, not just to the church.

We are shocked you returned, and seem to be making a reasoned inquiry.
Not at all what we usually get here. There are some remarkable exceptions to that however ... there are a few theists here, one of whom served as our forum administrator, and a great new military chaplain who keeps us entertained.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-03-2016, 11:27 AM
(09-03-2016 12:29 AM)Babakazoo Wrote:  If you could pick one reason to be the main reason why you don't believe in any God what would that be?
I wasn't indoctrinated to believe in any god or gods when I was a child. Our household wasn't religious to any extent when I was home. After I grew up and moved Mom went back to her roots, but never was a hardcore believer I think.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user