1 point for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2016, 12:37 PM
RE: 1 point for atheists
(09-03-2016 12:29 AM)Babakazoo Wrote:  If you could pick one reason to be the main reason why you don't believe in any God what would that be?

"Ah, but I do believe in God. We just disagree on who that is." - B-b

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2016, 12:41 PM
It's not the main reason so much as the only reason....I've never been given a good reason to believe.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
10-03-2016, 12:47 PM
.....waits patiently...... Girl_nails

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
10-03-2016, 02:16 PM
(09-03-2016 01:00 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I was not indoctrinated as a child.
This^^

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
10-03-2016, 02:17 PM
(09-03-2016 03:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I read Lord of the Rings - and I didn't start believing Hobbits, Elves or Orcs are real.

You weren't reading it right then.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 1 user Likes stevec's post
10-03-2016, 02:30 PM
(10-03-2016 02:17 PM)stevec Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 03:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I read Lord of the Rings - and I didn't start believing Hobbits, Elves or Orcs are real.

You weren't reading it right then.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
10-03-2016, 02:31 PM
To me, any hypothesis about the existence of a metaphysical divine power hits a HUGE brick wall right out of the starting gate because it's not necessary to explain the existence of the universe. To my thinking, if life and the universe don't require the existence of an architect, overseer, or prime mover there probably isn't one. If it's possible that all this happened according to natural laws - even if we don't fully understand them all yet, it's more intellectually honest and to assume there isn't an unseen hand behind it all.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
12-03-2016, 05:01 AM
(10-03-2016 02:31 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  To me, any hypothesis about the existence of a metaphysical divine power hits a HUGE brick wall right out of the starting gate because it's not necessary to explain the existence of the universe. To my thinking, if life and the universe don't require the existence of an architect, overseer, or prime mover there probably isn't one. If it's possible that all this happened according to natural laws - even if we don't fully understand them all yet, it's more intellectually honest and to assume there isn't an unseen hand behind it all.

^^ This Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2016, 09:58 PM
There's a whole constellation of reasons why I don't believe in God, most of which have been mentioned here. Probably the most relevant one to your question was that I also realized that I had been taught a lot of falsehoods as a child (finding out that Kent Hovind was a real piece of shit was a turning point for me) and when I did more research, my faith eroded into nothingness and I realized that agnostic atheism was where I had landed. The specific thing that first pushed me away from religion was a forum that my university Bible study cosponsored: a debate/discussion between a Christian and an agnostic/atheist regarding the problem of pain. The Christian representative had no satisfying answers for me, and the harder I looked the more I couldn't find those answers anywhere in religion. When I tried to talk to my pastor about it, his replies smacked of intellectual bullying rather than an actual desire to help me find the truth. I've since been looking for it on my own terms, without the presupposed construct of a God figure informing my search.
13-03-2016, 10:01 PM
When you have some evidence to consider, we'll talk.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post