14-03-2016, 07:54 AM
RE: 1 point for atheists
Because I hate god and I just wanna sin, silly. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Smile RE: 1 point for atheists
Welcome to the forum! I like your stance of not trying to debate everyone. It would leave a bad taste in your mouth, for here, we are many, you are one. You'd get overwhelmed. Discussion is good though. When you asked me this, what immediately popped into my head was one of my favorite quotes from when I was a teen non-believer in a VERY religious protestant town.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts

As for the 'extreme' notion of 'converting'. I wouldn't call that extreme at all. It's much to extreme, by my reckoning, to continue believing in something for which there is insufficient reason to believe. Additionally, I'd say it is more accurate to say 'deconvert', for no one was born with the knowledge or ability to know or believe in a god. The default position is ignosticism. Just my 2 cents. Welcome to the forum

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
19-03-2016, 07:38 PM
RE: 1 point for atheists
There are so many reasons, but my first one that gave me the boldness to look (I was a southern baptist born again christian) was the suffering of people. Whether through disease, at the hands of others, natural disasters....I couldn't get past that god watches everything and does nothing. A child that is kidnapped, being tortured, is crying for his parents...the parents begging on TV for his return, praying to god for his return....and there god is, in the room with the child? And does NOTHING!!! And I am to accept "the world is run by the devil and it is our fault, god gave us free will"??!! Bullshit!

So, I decided to look up things about the bible, when the books were written, who wrote them. I needed to know if what I had been taught for my whole life was true. All it took was for me to learn about the authors of the gospels and my eyes were open!!
Find all posts by this user