10 Things Atheists Need to Know

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2013, 12:11 AM
RE: 10 Things Atheists Need to Know
Obviously its a joke, but for a few moments I wasn't sure... It just goes to show what we have to put up with.

But there's no doubt in my mind that theism is on the back foot... Those kinds of arguments are just grasping at straws, they have literally no argument left.

Atheism is consistent with all fields of science... today there is no branch of study with which the lack of a creator is a problem.

Theism by contrast, is totally inconsistent with science (though many try to reconcile the two)...

Physics shows the fundamentals of the universe to be random and unpredictable. Biology shows that the evolution of life was not a smooth road (as if guided by a god), but a series of setbacks, dead ends and extinctions. Geology and Paleontology has shown that the Earth has on multiple occasions suffered cataclysmic impacts from asteroids and comets. Archaeology has shown that humans have existed for much longer than any religion practiced today. And Astronomy has shown that the universe does not revolve around us, that our planet is neither unique nor large. That human existence barely registers on the timescale of the universe...

No religion anywhere in the world can claim to be consistent with any of this... They are fresh out of ideas.

If you listen to those who try to reconcile God with science, you find that God becomes a vague, poorly defined idea... a mere shadow of the once feared Yahweh.

Religion is very much in its death throws.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Sam's post
08-11-2013, 12:29 AM
(08-11-2013 12:11 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Religion is very much in its death throws.

One can certainly hope. However, just as evolution moves a species through time at a snail's pace, I have a feeling that religion or rather, the propensity toward faith behavior, might take a few more thousand years to fall away, like a vestigial organ.

I am glad I'm here at this time. I'd like to think if we can't actually speed things up, we can at least get things starting off strongly. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like kim's post
08-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Re: 10 Things Atheists Need to Know
Oh no... I need to know they have 6 points and atheists have 0. Bullocks! Must watch at once.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-11-2013, 05:41 AM
(07-11-2013 09:37 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Arrogant fool.Speakers like him really do more reasonable Christianity a disservice.

Uhh I think that was his intention love.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
08-11-2013, 07:22 AM
(08-11-2013 12:11 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Religion is very much in its death throws.

I wonder if we will have a runaway greenhouse effect
Another few years of creeping secularism. Then boom headshot.
[Image: google_christianity_suggest.jpg]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 9 users Like sporehux's post
08-11-2013, 09:54 AM
@sporehux: I'd recommend caution when using Google's suggested search terms as evidence since they use your personal history to partially tailor your search results. While I think it's nice to get results that match my interests, there is also a danger of getting an inaccurate view of society in general and being sheltered from opposing view points. The same search on a fundamentalist's machine might list "Christianity is True" as the first suggested term.

That being said, according to this graph from Gallup, secularism is creeping in the right direction. Smile

[Image: p6fmzb8fke6sgwteld1ryg.gif]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
08-11-2013, 02:00 PM
(08-11-2013 07:22 AM)sporehux Wrote:  

I wonder if we will have a runaway greenhouse effect
Another few years of creeping secularism. Then boom headshot.
[Image: google_christianity_suggest.jpg]

It would seem so...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
08-11-2013, 02:05 PM
(08-11-2013 09:54 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  @sporehux: I'd recommend caution when using Google's suggested search terms as evidence since they use your personal history to partially tailor your search results. While I think it's nice to get results that match my interests, there is also a danger of getting an inaccurate view of society in general and being sheltered from opposing view points. The same search on a fundamentalist's machine might list "Christianity is True" as the first suggested term.

That being said, according to this graph from Gallup, secularism is creeping in the right direction. Smile

[Image: p6fmzb8fke6sgwteld1ryg.gif]

My understanding is that Google lists results in order of most commonly searched...

The thing to do is to use an in-private session... That way Google isn't using your search history it cookies.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
08-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Smile Ok, conceptual art project time:

All non theists...
At least twice a day google: God is a mental illness (or delusion)
Another couple of times a day google: Jesus is a delusion (or mental illness)
Do this each day, right up to the end of the year.
I would think doing both D and MI for each would at least put them both in top rankings.

We may want to shoot for global coverage. However, since the US is currently the most seriously effected by christee loons, I'd work with god & Jesus however, allah & Mohammed can certainly be a second string project. Thumbsup

Might be nice to ring in the new year with with reality popping up on screens all over the planet. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
08-11-2013, 02:34 PM
(08-11-2013 02:05 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  My understanding is that Google lists results in order of most commonly searched...

The thing to do is to use an in-private session... That way Google isn't using your search history it cookies.

You may be right. I tested it using three different browsers and two different computers on different internet connections and they all gave the same suggestions.

[attachment=1652]

More proof things are going are way! Smile

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post