10 animal misconceptions I have seen or heard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2014, 12:52 AM
RE: 10 animal misconceptions I have seen or heard
(03-04-2014 12:47 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 12:40 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  That was ever a misconception?

My dad still tries to argue for it when caught with his defences lowered. He was taught there were three kingdoms: plants, animals and humans. He knows better now, but deep down he still thinks we're special somehow.
Call it bad education, but some people still actually believe it.

Damn; I knew that shit before I was in school!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
03-04-2014, 12:58 AM
(03-04-2014 12:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 12:47 AM)nach_in Wrote:  My dad still tries to argue for it when caught with his defences lowered. He was taught there were three kingdoms: plants, animals and humans. He knows better now, but deep down he still thinks we're special somehow.
Call it bad education, but some people still actually believe it.

Damn; I knew that shit before I was in school!

Me too, imagine my face when I had to explain the basics of taxonomy to my father at 10 or 11 Tongue

Now that I think about it that was a lucid moment that made me notice some absurdities of religion Consider

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
03-04-2014, 01:11 AM
(03-04-2014 12:58 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 12:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Damn; I knew that shit before I was in school!

Me too, imagine my face when I had to explain the basics of taxonomy to my father at 10 or 11 Tongue

Now that I think about it that was a lucid moment that made me notice some absurdities of religion Consider

Fortunately my father well knows that people are animals.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help him grasp the concept that humans are significantly impacting on climates.... And I quote: "The Earth just has a cold". Facepalm

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-04-2014, 02:48 AM
(03-04-2014 01:11 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 12:58 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Me too, imagine my face when I had to explain the basics of taxonomy to my father at 10 or 11 Tongue

Fortunately my father well knows that people are animals.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help him grasp the concept that humans are significantly impacting on climates.... And I quote: "The Earth just has a cold". Facepalm

My mom gets mad when she hears people suggest that humans are animals.
03-04-2014, 03:24 AM
(03-04-2014 02:48 AM)Charis Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 01:11 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Fortunately my father well knows that people are animals.

My mom gets mad when she hears people suggest that humans are animals.

... Why on Earth wound anybody get angry at being called an animal?!

I mean, what else could humans be? We certainly are not belonging to the Plant or Fungi kingdoms...

And what's wrong with being called an animal? It just associates us with the coolest things on this dumb little rock we call home; like the Cone snail, which is notable for being able to produce thousands of distinct toxins used within it's venom, administered via a harpoon.
Or the Kangaroo; it looks silly but it's still fucking cool as anything around!

There aint nothing wrong with being a lowly animal: anybody who says different probably has self-esteem issues.

[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
03-04-2014, 03:27 AM
(03-04-2014 03:24 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 02:48 AM)Charis Wrote:  My mom gets mad when she hears people suggest that humans are animals.

... Why on Earth wound anybody get angry at being called an animal?!

I mean, what else could humans be? We certainly are not belonging to the Plant or Fungi kingdoms...

And what's wrong with being called an animal? It just associates us with the coolest things on this dumb little rock we call home; like the Cone shellfish, which is notable for essentially being in a constant state of evolutionary toxicological-defence mechanism overdrive due to how it duplicates its genes so quickly making some of the most potent combinations of up to thousands of distinct toxins with every 'sting' with it's harpoon like stabbing tooth-thingy!

There aint nothing wrong with being a lowly animal: anybody who says different probably has self-esteem issues.

The reason people flip shit when they hear humans are animals is because of years before. I mean humans have always thought there we the children of(insert deity here)and that they were above animals. Humans being animals sort of destroys the whole humans above animal thing.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
03-04-2014, 03:35 AM
(03-04-2014 03:27 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 03:24 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ... Why on Earth wound anybody get angry at being called an animal?!

And what's wrong with being called an animal? It just associates us with the coolest things on this dumb little rock we call home; like the Cone shellfish, which is notable for essentially being in a constant state of evolutionary toxicological-defence mechanism overdrive due to how it duplicates its genes so quickly making some of the most potent combinations of up to thousands of distinct toxins with every 'sting' with it's harpoon like stabbing tooth-thingy!

The reason people flip shit when they hear humans are animals is because of years before. I mean humans have always thought there we the children of(insert deity here)and that they were above animals. Humans being animals sort of destroys the whole humans above animal thing.

Bitches be having extreme identity and self-esteem issues.

03-04-2014, 06:42 AM
The only one of these misconceptions I had heard of was the Panda diet one, but I learned something new about all of them. Thanks. Learning something new first thing in the morning helps get my brain in gear. Thumbsup

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
03-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Myth: Pit bulls have locking jaws.

Truth: Baloney. Pit bulls have strong jaws, but there isn't anything at all that makes their jaws "lock".

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
03-04-2014, 09:40 AM
(03-04-2014 08:58 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Myth: Pit bulls have locking jaws.

Truth: Baloney. Pit bulls have strong jaws, but there isn't anything at all that makes their jaws "lock".

As a pit bull owner, I approve this message. Thumbsup

The only thing dangerous about my pitty is his tail and his kisses. His tail was never cropped, so it's just bone and skin. It's freaking deadly. And he will tear your face off with overly aggressive kisses. A real vicious brute. Big Grin

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post