10 most common fallacies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2015, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 12:21 AM by Shadow Fox.)
10 most common fallacies?
I am starting the infant stage of my YouTube channel. I have a few ideas rolling around and one I want to do is the top 10 logical fallacies of theists and I want to get your opinions on what they might be.

My list so far contains the following
God of the Gaps, Special Pleading, Strawman, False Clause, Appeal to Emotion, Burden of Proof, Texas Sharp Shooter, No True Scotsman, Personal Incredulity, and Begging the question.

These I think are the top 10 most common fallacies and I wish to discuss each one. Do you guys think this may be accurate enough? What would you say is the top 10 most common fallacies given by the religious to defend or promote their religion or beliefs?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

I am also thinking of swapping one out for argumentum ad baculum.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
07-06-2015, 12:24 AM
RE: 10 most common fallacies?
Kalaam is one that comes up repeatedly here - I guess that'd fall under special pleading.

Appeal to authority - I don't know but X is very clever and he knows so this is the way it is. I've seen this a lot where theists pull some juicy Einstein quote (or even make one up and attach his name to it) as evidence that Einstein believed in God. Einstein was very clever. He believed in God so you should too.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that anecdotal evidence (My granny prayed to Jesus and was cured of her cancer without any help from doctors) is not a slam-dunk proof of anything. I don't know what the technical name for that fallacy is.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-06-2015, 01:00 AM
I like this site as a resource on logical fallacies https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 2 users Like Worom's post
07-06-2015, 01:00 AM
I would say that list is good, though maybe you could add slippery slope fallacy. I quite often heard it when believers were talking about same sex marriages.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
07-06-2015, 01:04 AM
(07-06-2015 12:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  Kalaam is one that comes up repeatedly here - I guess that'd fall under special pleading.

Appeal to authority - I don't know but X is very clever and he knows so this is the way it is. I've seen this a lot where theists pull some juicy Einstein quote (or even make one up and attach his name to it) as evidence that Einstein believed in God. Einstein was very clever. He believed in God so you should too.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that anecdotal evidence (My granny prayed to Jesus and was cured of her cancer without any help from doctors) is not a slam-dunk proof of anything. I don't know what the technical name for that fallacy is.

Anecdotal fallacy is the name of it from what I'm finding Smile

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
07-06-2015, 02:22 AM
Argumentum ex culo covers most of it, really.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-06-2015, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 03:53 AM by WalkingSnake.)
Two fallacies from people who "don't want to debate".

Argument from personal experience

I see this as a tricky one, because I don't see this being used a lot in debates. Though I could be wrong. In fact many people who use this aren't trying to debate at all, knowing it's problematic in a debate setting.

Still though it's quite popular among the more devoted Christians. The more charismatic people tend to use this. They know Christianity is true because they've been filled with the Holy Spirit. People raise their hands and close their eyes while singing praise songs as a way to feel closer to God.

I've seen William Lane Craig say, "I know it to be true in my heart", but in an interview not a debate setting.

The opportunity for debate opens when they try to use it in their proselytizing. My mom is trying to use this on me. And she's a little more extreme on this too. One of her many "personal experiences" includes her testimony of salvation. She claims that when she got saved, her consciencousness was transported to the foot of the cross. A big problem with personal experience being that this is not the same experience others have.

I'm finding it hard to argue without offending her. It is her personal experience. Who am I to question that? I mean I can, I've been reading up on this quite a bit and still trying to figure a way to talk to her about it without offending.

Pascal's Wager

I see this as the thread that many other theists are using. Sort of at the other end from the one above. Yet, I don't see these people as actively seeking debates either. They're hanging on to theism because they just don't want to take that chance. What if Hell is real? What if the Bible is true? What harm is there in calling yourself a Christian? If you die and it's oblivion, then what's the loss?

Again, not much of a call to debate here. However, I will say that if you're using this as a reason for your continuing to hold on to some form of religion, what you really are is an agnostic with soul insurance.

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
07-06-2015, 06:01 AM
Q seems to like the bandwagon or the argumentum ad populum fallacy.

Here he is on this thread doing it: Dat Noah Flood post 473 & 475.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
07-06-2015, 07:01 AM
A lot seem to believe in Platonic Realism. That is that numbers and things of that sort exist in some way independent of human thought. They believe that abstract concepts like these actually exist, and they use this to avoid special pleading for god.

They also have problems with words and definitions. What does "maximally great" mean? Greatness isn't a thing. And even if it is, it's like saying "the biggest possible infinity." All I have to do is put your infinity and plus one and my infinity is bigger.
07-06-2015, 07:18 AM
Don't forget Appeal to Authority. BECAUSE IT'S IN THE BIBLE!

(Seriously, it's everywhere in that book.)