10 most common fallacies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2015, 08:06 AM
RE: 10 most common fallacies?
I really like the natural fallacy, I'm pretty quick to point out wild almonds. They'd kill yah Thumbsup

Turns out, most plants don't want to be eaten so they developed all kinds of niffy chemistry that can kill, make you sick, or just poop indefinitely. what funNo
edit: oh I see you meant common religious ones. It might be a stretch but it could work, the world was made for them after all.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2015, 01:09 PM
here's are 5 of em

[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
07-06-2015, 04:05 PM
(07-06-2015 12:12 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I am starting the infant stage of my YouTube channel. I have a few ideas rolling around and one I want to do is the top 10 logical fallacies of theists and I want to get your opinions on what they might be.

My list so far contains the following
God of the Gaps, Special Pleading, Strawman, False Clause, Appeal to Emotion, Burden of Proof, Texas Sharp Shooter, No True Scotsman, Personal Incredulity, and Begging the question.

These I think are the top 10 most common fallacies and I wish to discuss each one. Do you guys think this may be accurate enough? What would you say is the top 10 most common fallacies given by the religious to defend or promote their religion or beliefs?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

I am also thinking of swapping one out for argumentum ad baculum.

Stolen concept fallacy. Every argument they present for their god commits this fallacy.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
07-06-2015, 05:53 PM
(07-06-2015 12:12 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I have a few ideas rolling around and one I want to do is the top 10 logical fallacies of theists and I want to get your opinions on what they might be.
Circulus in probando, i.e., circular logic, is number one.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
07-06-2015, 07:06 PM
(07-06-2015 01:00 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would say that list is good, though maybe you could add slippery slope fallacy. I quite often heard it when believers were talking about same sex marriages.

+1 on the list as it stands and also agree with Szuchow. I get so pissed at the Right Wing Watch articles and all the slippery slope shenanigans that they throw around. It makes me sick. Thank god (oops) Ben Carson will be out of the presidential race since the core of his experienced staff defected. Not that he would have a snow ball's chance in hell anyway but it's just one more dumb f*ck out of the way. Hobo

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
07-06-2015, 07:15 PM
(07-06-2015 07:06 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(07-06-2015 01:00 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would say that list is good, though maybe you could add slippery slope fallacy. I quite often heard it when believers were talking about same sex marriages.

+1 on the list as it stands and also agree with Szuchow. I get so pissed at the Right Wing Watch articles and all the slippery slope shenanigans that they throw around. It makes me sick. Thank god (oops) Ben Carson will be out of the presidential race since the core of his experienced staff defected. Not that he would have a snow ball's chance in hell anyway but it's just one more dumb f*ck out of the way. Hobo

I'd feel better about that if I didn't have a sense of the people he was getting out of the way of.
08-06-2015, 02:32 AM
(07-06-2015 12:12 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I am starting the infant stage of my YouTube channel. I have a few ideas rolling around and one I want to do is the top 10 logical fallacies of theists and I want to get your opinions on what they might be.

God of the Gaps, Special Pleading, Strawman, False Clause, Appeal to Emotion, Burden of Proof, Texas Sharp Shooter, No True Scotsman, Personal Incredulity, and Begging the question.

These I think are the top 10 most common fallacies and I wish to discuss each one. Do you guys think this may be accurate enough? What would you say is the top 10 most common fallacies given by the religious to defend or promote their religion or beliefs?

How do you know these particular 10 are the 'top 10'?

Is this a prepositional fallacy of false authority? There is a lot of that one about.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
10-06-2015, 09:48 PM
(08-06-2015 02:32 AM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  

How do you know these particular 10 are the 'top 10'?

Is this a prepositional fallacy of false authority? There is a lot of that one about.

Archi

Based on the arguments given by most of the apologists and arguments from others. Plus, with checking it against what others think, I am comparing it to the opinions of others to double check it and back it up with evidence.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ