10 scariest states to be an atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2013, 01:40 PM
RE: 10 scariest states to be an atheist.
While I was visiting close friends in Alabama I remember slight worry as I got off the plane...cause I am well past hiding the fact I'm an atheist....But it wasn't too bad. I had a lovely conversation with an absolute nutter christian outside the Walmart in Scotsboro. I think she was just lonely.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2013, 01:43 PM
My neighbor is pretty nutty. He goes as far as to put "KEEP THE CHRIST in CHRISTmas!" signs on his lawn every season. Old vet dude, not all there in the head. I simply don't talk politics or religion with my neighbors.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
27-01-2013, 01:47 PM
(27-01-2013 01:43 PM)Logisch Wrote:  My neighbor is pretty nutty. He goes as far as to put "KEEP THE CHRIST in CHRISTmas!" signs on his lawn every season. Old vet dude, not all there in the head. I simply don't talk politics or religion with my neighbors.
Yeah. That's probably a good rule of thumb.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
27-01-2013, 01:58 PM
He's basing LA being #1 from that one story? And, he openly admits to not doing any research or living in the states. This is equally as pathetic as Christians claiming that atheists are immoral because they don't have God. This is horrible journalism.

Sure LA is filled with Christians, but there is very little open persecution. I've lived here almost my whole life and I've never seen open persecution of anyone... race, religion, or sexual preference.

I've lived in TX, and the only open persecution I saw there was racial against Mexicans.

However, when I lived in MS, I witnessed regular open peesecution of blacks, gays, and atheists. Mississippi is by far the most bigoted state.

People in Louisiana just don't care amd mind their own business.

This article is complete crap.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
27-01-2013, 02:02 PM
You sound mad. I'll give you a hug. *hug*
27-01-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm about 20 miles from Annville PA. Lebanon County is very religious. It pretty much blends into Lancaster County to be the heart of the Amish and Mennonite communities of PA. So that story does not surprise me all that much.
Personally I find most of the hatred towards atheists to come from the older generations. We had one of those billboard fights between the Christians and the "angry atheists" around here about a year ago or so. And just sitting at the lunch table kind of told it all. The older women were all saying mean and nasty things about atheists, like we are all the same, so as usual I felt I had to defend myself because we are not all the same. Where the younger ppl were like, whatever.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
27-01-2013, 02:03 PM
20 years in SC makes me think it should have made that list...and pretty high up too.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
27-01-2013, 02:04 PM
(27-01-2013 01:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  He's basing LA being #1 from that one story? And, he openly admits to not doing any research or living in the states. This is equally as pathetic as Christians claiming that atheists are immoral because they don't have God. This is horrible journalism.

Sure LA is filled with Christians, but there is very little open persecution. I've lived here almost my whole life and I've never seen open persecution of anyone... race, religion, or sexual preference.

I've lived in TX, and the only open persecution I saw there was racial against Mexicans.

However, when I lived in MS, I witnessed regular open peesecution of blacks, gays, and atheists. Mississippi is by far the most bigoted state.

People in Louisiana just don't care amd mind their own business.

This article is complete crap.
He pretty much states in the article that its mostly just his opinion. So its just a grain of salt thing. I mostly just posted it to hear peoples opinions. Oregon isnt on the list and we used to have one of the KKK captials, in Dallas OR. Its all subjective.

[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
27-01-2013, 02:11 PM
(27-01-2013 02:02 PM)Logisch Wrote:  You sound mad. I'll give you a hug. *hug*
Yeah, but it's not why you you think. As a person with a Bachelor's in Journalism, that article just made me mad.

Thanks for the hug though Smile

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
27-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Here in Australia we seem rather more liberal.
In fact in Adelaide,some see atheism as almost compulsory. Confused
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post