10 scariest states to be an atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2013, 02:36 PM
RE: 10 scariest states to be an atheist.
Well isn't that lovely... I was born and raised in #3 and now reside in #1.

I live in Shreveport now and frankly, it's not bad here. Most of the people I know are religious and most of them know I'm an atheist. That said, a lot of them are also swingers and we tend to be a more tolerant group than the average person, atheist, deist or theist. Of course, the problem with theists isn't the rank and file tax livestock, it's the batshit crazy creationist sociopaths who pass the laws and enforce them. I do my best to stay away from those people.

As for Texas.... I was raised in Tyler, which is known as the Rose Capital of the world. If you ever want to travel back in time to the nineteenth century, save yourself the trouble of building a time machine and just take a drive to Tyler. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty town and there are modern things such as shopping malls, gas stations and churches with ten million dollar television studios built into the sanctuaries. But... if you're a rock and roll music fan, be sure and take a few cds or a flash drive with some mp3s on it because Tyler has no rock and roll station. There have been a few brave souls who've tried to format a R&R station in the past but alas, their advertisers ran away like they were on fire. When you're greeted by someone in Tyler, they ask which church you go to first and then, if you answer correctly, they ask your name and how you're doing... not really. Well, really. But not always.

All things considered though... I'm happy in this area and I choose my friends wisely. Or maybe they choose me wisely? Come to think of it, do atheists have a thing like gadar? We need that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2013, 02:44 PM
I am in New Orleans, currently, and have lived in Alexandria LA as well. I would have to say that it largely depends where you are. I don't worry much about it in New Orleans, I was slightly more concerned in Alexandria but no more so than I was concerned in anywhere Oklahoma. I would have to agree with KC that it is not as bad here as in Mississippi. Though Bobby Jindal makes my teeth hurt... Shocking
Find all posts by this user
27-01-2013, 02:58 PM
NOLA is the shit. My wife and I considered moving there once but decided against it. There's a lot of religion in NOLA but there's also a lot of tolerance from what I've experienced. In fact, NOLA is really not like any other place on earth. That I know of...
27-01-2013, 03:13 PM
(27-01-2013 02:58 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  NOLA is the shit. My wife and I considered moving there once but decided against it. There's a lot of religion in NOLA but there's also a lot of tolerance from what I've experienced. In fact, NOLA is really not like any other place on earth. That I know of...
It is pretty cool down here, a lot of Catholicism to be sure but pretty live and let live by and large. I remember when I first moved here and they were having the "red dress run". If you are not familiar, it is a run that is literally run in a red dress. It is a sight to behold Yes , only in NOLA Thumbsup
27-01-2013, 04:04 PM
(27-01-2013 02:36 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  All things considered though... I'm happy in this area and I choose my friends wisely. Or maybe they choose me wisely? Come to think of it, do atheists have a thing like gadar? We need that.

Yeah, it's called SANAR.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-01-2013, 04:06 PM
(27-01-2013 02:58 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  NOLA is the shit. My wife and I considered moving there once but decided against it. There's a lot of religion in NOLA but there's also a lot of tolerance from what I've experienced. In fact, NOLA is really not like any other place on earth. That I know of...

Hmmm, kind of resembles Atlantis. Or did. And will.

27-01-2013, 04:57 PM
(27-01-2013 02:16 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Here in Australia we seem rather more liberal.
In fact in Adelaide,some see atheism as almost compulsory. Confused

Woo! My city wins!

(27-01-2013 01:43 PM)Logisch Wrote:  My neighbor is pretty nutty. He goes as far as to put "KEEP THE CHRIST in CHRISTmas!" signs on his lawn every season. Old vet dude, not all there in the head. I simply don't talk politics or religion with my neighbors.

I told you dude, make your own damn sign.

"Keep the pagan symbols pagan"

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
27-01-2013, 05:14 PM
I love how that list basically indicates the states south of the mason dixon line...

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
27-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Why is Rhode Island on that list?

[Image: giphy.gif]
27-01-2013, 06:30 PM
(27-01-2013 06:21 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Why is Rhode Island on that list?
Read the article? Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post