10 tough questions for theists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2016, 04:22 PM
RE: 10 tough questions for theists.
Why is this titled as being ten tough questions for theists when most of these questions very clearly only apply to stereotypical Christians?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
14-01-2016, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2016 08:01 PM by Simon Moon.)
A question that I always bring up in discussions:

1. If the god you believe in is going to punish me for eternity for the finite thought crime of being unconvinced that he exists, do you think I deserve it?

Usually they will bring up quotes from their religious texts, and say that the decision is not up to them. But they are not answering the question. The better you know them, the more they will squirm.

You have to keep on them to answer if they believe we actually deserve eternal punishment, not what their god thinks we deserve.

I have seen more squirming, stuttering, Olympic level mental gymnastics, lengthy word salad obfuscation, etc from this question than just about any.

To simplify it for them, ask them if they died and it turned out that a different god than the one they believe in is the true god, would they think their punishment for not believing is fair and moral?

The most predictable avoidance of this question is, to just claim that would never happen, because their god exists, and the other one does not.
[+] 2 users Like Simon Moon's post
15-01-2016, 08:57 AM
(14-01-2016 07:58 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  A question that I always bring up in discussions:

1. If the god you believe in is going to punish me for eternity for the finite thought crime of being unconvinced that he exists, do you think I deserve it?

Is refusal to believe in an infinite God a finite crime?

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2016, 09:45 AM
(15-01-2016 08:57 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 07:58 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  A question that I always bring up in discussions:

It not only isn't a crime, it is commendable by being intellectually honest..

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
15-01-2016, 09:46 AM
(14-01-2016 10:12 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
Quote:1. How can we “objectively” see a difference between something that does not exist, and the god you believe in whom is separated from time and space and can never be observed or tested without equating events, existence to your god which would be a false cause fallacy, or making use of special pleading?

God has revealed his existence through his creation. Life is too complex to have come into existence as a result of chance.

Your incredulity is not an argument; it is a failure of your intellect.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-01-2016, 10:57 AM
(15-01-2016 08:57 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Is refusal to believe in an infinite God a finite crime?

Which infinity?

[Image: aleph0.png] or [Image: aleph1.png]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
15-01-2016, 11:02 AM
(15-01-2016 10:57 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 08:57 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Is refusal to believe in an infinite God a finite crime?

Which infinity?

Or the infinity of other infinities of even greater cardinality. Consider

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-01-2016, 11:38 AM
(15-01-2016 11:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 10:57 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Which infinity?

Or the infinity of other infinities of even greater cardinality. Consider

At least it's countable. Which is kinda strange. [Image: alaphaleph.png]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
15-01-2016, 12:01 PM
(15-01-2016 08:57 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

So being "infinite" can justify any atrocity that this god does?

Does this god have no sense of proportion?

He seems to have a sense of proportion in Exodus 21:23~25- And if [any] mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

But then Mr. Pissy-pants commands the death sentence for not obeying the Sabbath.

Sounds like a bunch of ad-hoc BS to me.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
15-01-2016, 12:40 PM
+1 for Thinkerbelle's response,
and I would add that you should define "special pleading" because most of your theist readers will probably think you mean prayer!

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom