10 years a hardcore atheist, now i'm not sure what I am.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2016, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2016 09:01 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: 10 years a hardcore atheist, now i'm not sure what I am.
(14-11-2016 06:51 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  So Goethe concludes that the brain is like our ears and our eyes. Our mind does not generate consciousness so much as it amplifies/intensifies its awareness.

He didn't know anything about Neuroscience.
Consciousness is about "input integration".
That's not "philosophy", it's science. Period.
There is no consciousness in the absence of healthy functioning brains. Ever. Brains LEARN how to integrate and make sense of sensory input.
There's nothing (no evidence of anything) to "amplify".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-11-2016, 08:59 PM
(14-11-2016 08:49 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Intended for us,

Our brains have evolved via evolution. Unguided evolution. There is no evidence to support any guidance, purpose or intention.

(14-11-2016 08:49 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  but if what makes consciousness is merely on the level of say something like gamma rays

And now you enter the realm of pure speculation.

(14-11-2016 08:49 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I don't make the definitions, I just play by them.

No, you are not. You are twisting and manipulating the definitions. That is both dishonest and misleading.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
14-11-2016, 09:33 PM
(14-11-2016 08:59 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Our brains have evolved via evolution. Unguided evolution. There is no evidence to support any guidance, purpose or intention.

I'd say a bunch of organisms working in unison to make you who you are is pretty guided. That's like a thousand people coming together to construct a temple, except in this case its little tiny cells and the temple is your body. ^-^

Quote:And now you enter the realm of pure speculation.

Not doing any worse than the big bang theory then.

Quote:No, you are not. You are twisting and manipulating the definitions. That is both dishonest and misleading.

Pish posh, I did not make the definitions they are what they are because people decided to define the words that way.
14-11-2016, 09:42 PM
(14-11-2016 09:33 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I'd say a bunch of organisms working in unison to make you who you are is pretty guided. That's like a thousand people coming together to construct a temple, except in this case its little tiny cells and the temple is your body. ^-^

And until you prove that guiding force, than those who joke about the Flying Spaghetti Monster have just as much support as your nature god or christians, jews, muslims, etc.

(14-11-2016 09:33 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Not doing any worse than the big bang theory then.

Perhaps you also think we're living on a flat, 6,000 year old earth...

Giant turtles and elephants aren't involved are they?
Turtles and elephants are part of nature...

(14-11-2016 09:33 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Pish posh, I did not make the definitions they are what they are because people decided to define the words that way.

You misapplied the definitions as I noted above. The best you can say is that it's a logical fallacy.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
14-11-2016, 09:48 PM
(14-11-2016 09:33 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Not doing any worse than the big bang theory then.

The Big Bang Theory is supported by numerous physical evidences from background radiation, the growing distance between various galaxies and ours, etc. Your hypothesis is supported by pretty much nothing to my knowledge. While you might consider that the Big Bang theory is built on small evidence, comparing yours to this one is completly false.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 5 users Like epronovost's post
14-11-2016, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2016 10:04 PM by Celestial_Wonder.)
(14-11-2016 09:48 PM)epronovost Wrote:  

The Big Bang Theory is supported by numerous physical evidences from background radiation, the growing distance between various galaxies and ours, etc. Your hypothesis is supported by pretty much nothing to my knowledge. While you might consider that the Big Bang theory is built on small evidence, comparing yours to this one is completly false.

I'd be a great deal more concerned if all the galaxies in the universe were heading away from our galaxy. But the Andromeda is kind of heading our way so. That's not happening. But for example if say all the galaxies were actually heading away from us that would be essentially saying that we were at the epicenter of the big bang, which is essentially like saying the earth is the center of the solar system. While in this scenario (milky way near the center of big bang) is not exactly impossible, but the numbers for it would literally be... astronomical.

Then there is how this distance is measured, by light. It never occurred to you that light itself may have a shelf life? 13-14 billion years is the oldest light we can discern with our current technology perhaps as we develop better instruments we might be able to detect even fainter glimpses of light. I however can not be the judge of that, and it may very well be that light 'dies' after 14 billion years of travelling across the universe.

As for background radiation. Our solar system is about 5 billion years old, built from an previously exploding star, as far as I can tell the rest of the universe is built very much the same way. Would make sense that there'd be a lot of radiation from this process. Praise be to the mighty ozone layer.
14-11-2016, 10:00 PM
10 years a hardcore atheist, now i'm not sure what I am.
You talking about all these other definitions. What on earth is a hardcore atheist? A punk hardcover enthusiast that also happens to be an atheist?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-11-2016, 10:07 PM
Just going to put this out there.
Our brains create a virtual reality for us based on the information it receives from our senses.
We are conscious of what our brain creates.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
14-11-2016, 10:13 PM
The words "hardcore" and "atheist" don't belong together, and those who consider themselves "hardcore" atheists are usually from the exact same stock as these assholes:

[Image: Westboro_BC_03022010_RichmondVa.jpg]

Don't be hardcore anything.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
14-11-2016, 10:29 PM
(14-11-2016 10:13 PM)Aliza Wrote:  The words "hardcore" and "atheist" don't belong together, and those who consider themselves "hardcore" atheists are usually from the exact same stock as these assholes:

[Image: Westboro_BC_03022010_RichmondVa.jpg]

Don't be hardcore anything.

I use hardcore as in nothing could shake me from my foundations of disbelief.

I would say that there may be members of the Westboro Baptist Church who may not share the same views of their colleagues. Buuuuuuut... their numbers are so minuscule that it may not be accurate, that and likely anyone who didn't share their beliefs probably wouldn't be a member of their church. I think they're attention seekers mostly.

(14-11-2016 10:00 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You talking about all these other definitions. What on earth is a hardcore atheist? A punk hardcover enthusiast that also happens to be an atheist?

Punk? Please, i'm a classical man.