10 years a hardcore atheist, now i'm not sure what I am.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2016, 11:17 PM
RE: 10 years a hardcore atheist, now i'm not sure what I am.
10 years as a hardcore atheist? Must have been some serious atheism. Good luck on your journey back to smoking your non-existent god's lap cigar. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2016, 11:25 PM
(14-11-2016 08:49 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Intended for us, it is by no mistake that trillions of life forms on this planet have brains.

Mistake? That word is not applicable in an evolutionary context. And evolution has no intent.

Quote:Animals with brains can outwit animals without brains at least normally. Like the jellyfish, if we see a jellyfish our brains tell us to stay clear of them. The jellyfish does not have a brain, if it did have a brain it would make more choice decisions for acquiring pray rather than just floating in the ocean. Despite not having a brain though the jellyfish has been remarkably resilient through the history of the earth, being the only Cambrian life form I know off. 500 million years of success.

There were bacteria in the Cambrian. There were worms in the Cambrian. And so on.

Quote:Everything of who I am can be altered yes, but I will still be as conscious as I am now, unless I happen to become either a vegetable, or I die. Then I'm not so sure what happens with my consciousness, certainly I would cease to be aware, and my corporeal body would disintegrate,

Human consciousness requires a human brain. Brain dies, consciousness ends.

Quote:but if what makes consciousness is merely on the level of say something like gamma rays (which our eyes perceive as light).

No, gamma rays are not visible light.

Quote:I would continue on in my 'ethereal' form which could be the very fabric of the universe itself. and granted I would not be I at all and i most certainly would be dead I will be dead for all eternity. For as long as there is there will never be another me. The joys of individualism.

I don't make the definitions, I just play by them.

No, you make shit up and torture definitions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
14-11-2016, 11:28 PM
I used to be a hardcore atheist then me and the monkey king drank ayahuasca from human skulls in the jungle... 'Cause that's what it sounds like.Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-11-2016, 11:38 PM
(14-11-2016 11:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  Mistake? That word is not applicable in an evolutionary context. And evolution has no intent.

If there was no intent why reproduce? Why have white blood cells to attack diseases/viruses? I'd say there's a lot of intended parts of our bodies.

Quote:There were bacteria in the Cambrian. There were worms in the Cambrian. And so on.

Technicalities! just let me be in awe at the majestic 500 million year old jellyfish!

Quote:Human consciousness requires a human brain. Brain dies, consciousness ends.

No argument against that

Quote:No, gamma rays are not visible light.

My mistake.

Quote:No, you make shit up and torture definitions.

Those definitions enjoyed every moment of it.

(14-11-2016 11:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I used to be a hardcore atheist then me and the monkey king drank ayahuasca from human skulls in the jungle... 'Cause that's what it sounds like.Tongue

Actually it was the monkey queen, and it was a very passionate night indeed.
14-11-2016, 11:39 PM
Also...

After pinpointing this tiny area of the brainstem as a potential “seat of human consciousness,” Boes and his colleagues mined data from the connectome project to identify other brain regions that were functionally connected to this particular region of the brainstem in healthy individuals. The Human Connectome Project (HCP) aided them in creating a detailed map of the neural network associated with consciousness. (To read more on HCP, check out my 2013 Psychology Today blog post, "What Is the Human Connectome Project? Why Should You Care?")

Lastly, the Harvard research team went back and examined fMRI brain images of 45 patients in a coma or vegetative state and discovered that activity in this novel brain network was selectively disrupted in patients lacking consciousness.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-11-2016, 12:15 AM
(14-11-2016 11:38 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 11:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  Mistake? That word is not applicable in an evolutionary context. And evolution has no intent.

If there was no intent why reproduce? Why have white blood cells to attack diseases/viruses? I'd say there's a lot of intended parts of our bodies.

Whose intent?

And you seem to have missed the point. The process of evolution is not intentional.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
15-11-2016, 12:44 AM
(15-11-2016 12:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 11:38 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  If there was no intent why reproduce? Why have white blood cells to attack diseases/viruses? I'd say there's a lot of intended parts of our bodies.

Whose intent?

And you seem to have missed the point. The process of evolution is not intentional.

There is no who.

And without getting into the finer points of cells and the nucleus.

[Image: 41f6acd616cd93ba3ceaa582c6aa3bf5.jpg]

This was begotten from intent.
15-11-2016, 05:50 AM
(15-11-2016 12:44 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 12:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  Whose intent?

There is no who.

And without getting into the finer points of cells and the nucleus.

[Image: 41f6acd616cd93ba3ceaa582c6aa3bf5.jpg]

This was begotten from intent.

Dogs want to fuck?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
15-11-2016, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2016 07:02 AM by unfogged.)
(14-11-2016 09:33 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I'd say a bunch of organisms working in unison to make you who you are is pretty guided.

That's an incredibly odd use of "organisms", "working in unison", and "guided". You are assuming intent and implying that there is an overall goal. I think you have a very tenuous understanding of how evolution works.

Quote:Not doing any worse than the big bang theory then.

The big bang theory is the result of observation and it has made a number of predictions about what we should find if it is correct that have been verified. It may not be 100% accurate but it is far from idle speculation. I think you have a very tenuous understanding of how science in general works.

(14-11-2016 10:29 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I use hardcore as in nothing could shake me from my foundations of disbelief.

Many of us are atheists because we are skeptics. Atheism is a secondary and a conclusion, not a starting position We would stop being atheists if somebody presented evidence that supported another position. Claiming that nothing could shake the foundations of your disbelief is a claim of being close-minded and impervious to reason. It is nothing to be proud of.

Quote:Punk? Please, i'm a classical man.

Well, many of your ideas do seem to be rooted in medieval thought.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
15-11-2016, 06:58 AM
I'm sitting over here wondering what the OP meant by "hardcore atheist." Care to elaborate on that? Consider

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick