10 years a hardcore atheist, now i'm not sure what I am.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2016, 03:28 PM
RE: 10 years a hardcore atheist, now i'm not sure what I am.
I think I know what you are, I’ve heard enough to pass down a verdict.

[Image: PoeBigRead600.png]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2016, 03:31 PM
RE: 10 years a hardcore atheist, now i'm not sure what I am.
(15-11-2016 03:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 03:14 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  "Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual." - Carl Sagan

"An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no god. By some definitions atheism is very stupid." - Carl Sagan

I am hear where I am because I am skeptical, you are there where you are, because you are also skeptical. Don't pity me because I am not like you, rejoice and celebrate in our differences for that is what makes us unique.

More on the big bang.

I found the answer that I was looking for, when I made this thread so. Thank you very much for that.

Fail #1 : I did not pity you because you are not like me. I pitied a version of you that closed its mind.

Fail #2 : Sagan was an agnostic, and often referred to atheism as being only the version that makes a positive assertion that gods do not exist, which is not entirely accurate. However, Dr. Sagan did not actually say the quote about it being "stupid". That's a paraphrase of someone else quoting him, and a deliberately misleading one.

The actual quote is:

"Those who raise questions about the God hypothesis and the soul hypothesis are by no means all atheist. An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do know to be sure that no such God exist ..."

Sagan was, like most scientists, an agnostic on the issue. And he is one of the people, living or dead, whom I respect most in all of human history.

SO DON'T FUCKING EVER MISQUOTE HIM AGAIN YOU DOUCHEBAG.

"I’ve met secular humanists who grew up in evangelical households, for whom Cosmos was their first exposure to a scientific way of viewing the world. Dad was a difference maker. He reached out to people. He took them by the awe and wonder we feel over the most important questions we can think to imagine. He pulled them away from blind faith, away from pseudoscience, toward a deeper, richer understanding of the universe.
And he did it with compassion. He didn’t berate people or make them feel stupid. Secular humanism can be demonized when it’s shrill, not when it’s poetic and inviting, and embodied by a man who genuinely compared his passion for inspiring scientific wonder to a feeling of being in love and wanting to tell the world." - Nick Sagan about his Father Carl Sagan

You and I hold a similar opinion of Carl Sagan, and I think we could both benefit by trying to be more like him.

I am very new at this, but I am trying my best.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply