101 Scientific Facts & Foreknowledge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2014, 04:22 PM
101 Scientific Facts & Foreknowledge
The "101 Scientific Facts & Foreknowledge" are from

http://www.eternal-productions.org/101science.html

I'm challenged to debunk them. Kind of a tall order since there 101 of these supposed scientific facts. Anyway the first is

Quote:Job 26:7 He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

The earth free-floats in space (Job 26:7), affected only by gravity. While other sources declared the earth sat on the back of an elephant or turtle, or was held up by Atlas, the Bible alone states what we now know to be true – “He hangs the earth on nothing.”

I don't buy the idea that this passage shows that the author knew anything about Newtonian mechanics, but how do I convince a theist of that. I'm tempted to cite all the places where the Bible says the earth is flat. Any ideas?

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2014, 04:26 PM
RE: 101 Scientific Facts & Foreknowledge
Rationalwiki has an article on this.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Eternal_Pro...eknowledge

Looks like most of your work is done for you haha.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
[+] 1 user Likes DemonicLemon's post
21-09-2014, 04:35 PM
(21-09-2014 04:26 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  Rationalwiki has an article on this.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Eternal_Pro...eknowledge

Looks like most of your work is done for you haha.
Looks like all the work is done. Thanks!! Cool

Sapere aude
22-09-2014, 07:46 AM
(21-09-2014 04:22 PM)f stop Wrote:  I don't buy the idea that this passage shows that the author knew anything about Newtonian mechanics, but how do I convince a theist of that. I'm tempted to cite all the places where the Bible says the earth is flat. Any ideas?

You won't convince them. Their belief is already rooted in wanting it to be right, so they're re-interpreting Biblical passages to make them appear to have understood science. Of course, Newton didn't site Job as his key reference on his findings, and the ancient Greeks figured this crap out with observations and trig.

That particular interpretation of Job involves interpreting an ambiguous word to mean "sphere" when it just as likely could mean "circle". The root language had a better word to use if they wanted to convey that idea, and the author didn't use it.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
22-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Agree. There is nothing anyone can to to convince them. There are a lot of things that come to mind however, in addition to what's in Rational Wiki. For example just off the bat :

2. The Hebrews were not a sea-faring people. They took the dimensions of the arc directly-literally from the 11th Tablet of Gilgamesh, (Babylonian). All the arc proves is they plagiarized things.

3. The Greeks thought matter was made of atoms, earlier, and we know there was commerce and intercourse, (snort).

4. They had all kinds of crazy hygiene laws (re menstruating women and blood) which clearly demonstrates they had no clue about anything scientific.

I may just have to make my own list of refutations. maybe GWG would help me. (hint hint). Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.