12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 09:52 PM
RE: 12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism
In fairness to Maklelan I am embarassed by much of the crap that village atheists (or "hobbyists" as Maklelan calls them) post on this forum. I don't have a degree in NT or OT studies but I endeavour to be as factual and well-reasoned as I am able to be (on those subjects that I do have formal educaion on and on those that I don't). This isn't a burden that someone like Cathym appears to carry or even recognise. I don't agree with much of what Maklelan posts but I nevertheless respect him because he does recognise and bear the burden that I have described.

Maklelan repeatedly advised that he does not believe that the Mormon undergarment has any supernatural power and that it is only a symbolic reminder of a covenant but the idiots of this forum just kept belabouring that point. This really just showed that these people weren't really interested in engaging with what Maklelan posts but are just reflexively unloading their rehearsed anti-Mormon diatribes. You will find these same idiots reflexively regurgitating their canned arguments even in debates with other atheists.

I think Maklelan's behaviour has been reasonable and I would very much like to see him around here more often.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chippy's post
15-01-2014, 10:08 PM
(15-01-2014 09:31 PM)jaxx Wrote:  So translation: I am arrogant and condescending because I have supposed advanced degrees in religious studies and all you heathen atheists should yield to my "authoritai" and don't bother me with trivial questions. Yet, I shall remain on this forum so the nature of Jesus may shine bright through my self-righteousness and douchebaggery.

No, just don't get uppity if I correct your characterization or understanding of my religion or of religion in general, especially if you spend a lot of time here insulting, mocking, and marginalizing religious people.

(15-01-2014 09:31 PM)jaxx Wrote:  Disengage people.

Fwiw, as a former lds, I have never come across an asshole such as this before or after deconversion. 99% of them are pretty awesome and caring people in my experience. I have remained close friends with many.

When was the last time several posters on this board ganged up on you in a thread to insist that you had a psychological disorder and were mentally handicapped? I'm being perfectly sincere. I'd like an answer to this question. When did it last happen?

My Blog
Find all posts by this user
15-01-2014, 10:11 PM
(15-01-2014 09:52 PM)Chippy Wrote:  In fairness to Maklelan I am embarassed by much of the crap that village atheists (or "hobbyists" as Maklelan calls them) post on this forum. I don't have a degree in NT or OT studies but I endeavour to be as factual and well-reasoned as I am able to be (on those subjects that I do have formal educaion on and on those that I don't). This isn't a burden that someone like Cathym appears to carry or even recognise. I don't agree with much of what Maklelan posts but I nevertheless respect him because he does recognise and bear the burden that I have described.

Maklelan repeatedly advised that he does not believe that the Mormon undergarment has any supernatural power and that it is only a symbolic reminder of a covenant but the idiots of this forum just kept belabouring that point. This really just showed that these people weren't really interested in engaging with what Maklelan posts but are just reflexively unloading their rehearsed anti-Mormon diatribes. You will find these same idiots reflexively regurgitating their canned arguments even in debates with other atheists.

I think Maklelan's behaviour has been reasonable and I would very much like to see him around here more often.

I appreciate the candor and the kind words. For what it's worth, I have found your contributions to discussions in which I've been participating to be among the most thoughtful and informed on the board, despite some disagreements between us. I admit I generally just assume a defensive stance here, and sometimes that means I attack when people are being sincere. I apologize if you've experienced any of that from me.

My Blog
15-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Okay, honest question maklelan. How do modern LDS square the claims of silk clothing and steel weapons in pre-Columbia America (such as found in the Book of Ether) when that seems to be at complete odds with modern archaeology and evidence?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
15-01-2014, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2014 11:24 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(15-01-2014 09:14 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 05:34 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I don't appreciate your tone.

As long as you're an atheist on an atheist discussion board passing misinformed judgment on my religion and its members, you'll have to learn to deal with it.

Says the chickenshit whiny pussy who "dealt with it" by putting me and others who confronted you on ignore.

Punk-ass bitch.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
15-01-2014, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2014 11:17 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
[Image: jill-greenberg-crying-photoshopped-babie...mes-18.jpg]

quote='maklelan' pid='467916' dateline='1389842083'
"We're on a discussion board where I have been repeatedly and directly accused of having mental handicaps and psychological disorders. We're on a discussion board where I am routinely called ignorant about religion and its secular study despite me being the only person here of whom I'm aware that actually has multiple advanced degrees in the field of religious studies. We're on a discussion board where my integrity, my honesty, and my understanding of the natural world is impugned and derided on a daily basis. We're on a website where you have admitted you have no real exposure to Mormonism or its members, but are presuming to explain to me the actual and true history of my religious heritage. And in spite of all this, you're complaining that I'm being condescending to you?"

[Image: 99ce084102f614bc120241d18340718b.jpg]

15-01-2014, 11:14 PM
(15-01-2014 10:35 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Okay, honest question maklelan. How do modern LDS square the claims of silk clothing and steel weapons in pre-Columbia America (such as found in the Book of Ether) when that seems to be at complete odds with modern archaeology and evidence?

Maklelan has already answered that question. He clearly stated that he doesn't consider the BoM to be historically accurate and I would guess that his LDS peers would be of the same mind on this.

To paraphrase Maklelan, he posted that no scripture is a source of historical truth and that scripture serves purposes other than to provide historical information hence his understanding of LDS doctrine is unaffected by the absence of historicity in LDS or Christian scripture.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2014, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2014 11:23 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(15-01-2014 09:52 PM)Chippy Wrote:  In fairness to Maklelan I am embarassed blah blah blah, kiss-ass sycophantic horsehit.....

[Image: monkey-jacking-off-o.gif]

15-01-2014, 11:22 PM
[Image: jill-greenberg-crying-photoshopped-babie...mes-17.jpg]
quote='maklelan' pid='467959' dateline='1389845321'
"When was the last time several posters on this board ganged up on you in a thread to insist that you had a psychological disorder and were mentally handicapped? I'm being perfectly sincere. I'd like an answer to this question. When did it last happen?"

That doesn't happen to people who present logical, reasonable positions and arguments here. Your "sincerity" is irrelevant. So what if you feel you are are "sincere" in your batshit delusions. They are STILL batshit delusions, no matter how "sincere" you are about them.

15-01-2014, 11:33 PM
(15-01-2014 11:14 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 10:35 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Okay, honest question maklelan. How do modern LDS square the claims of silk clothing and steel weapons in pre-Columbia America (such as found in the Book of Ether) when that seems to be at complete odds with modern archaeology and evidence?

Maklelan has already answered that question. He clearly stated that he doesn't consider the BoM to be historically accurate and I would guess that his LDS peers would be of the same mind on this.

To paraphrase Maklelan, he posted that no scripture is a source of historical truth and that scripture serves purposes other than to provide historical information hence his understanding of LDS doctrine is unaffected by the absence of historicity in LDS or Christian scripture.

Interesting, that's appears to indeed be a very liberal view. If that is so, then what is the point of the details then? If they're not there for historical accuracy in an attempt to lend credence to the story, are they instead just fluff and filler?

If the claims of steel and silk are unimportant or irrelevant and disregarded from a historical standpoint, then what is the 'point' of having a lost tribe of Israel in America if it is not historically accurate?

If he can just toss historical anachronisms to the wayside, what is to stop someone from placing the supposed historical existence of Christ, the Resurrection, or the Ascension into the same 'it didn't really happen' box?

I am genuinely curious how a modern liberal LDS member determines what is literal truth and what is not? Consider

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post