12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2014, 12:01 PM
RE: 12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism
(16-01-2014 11:59 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  He has asked you 5 times. You refuse to answer his question through misdirection that all he has to do is ask you. He has asked you. Answer him.

I have responded to every direct question I've come across, as far as I know. If I've missed his direct questions, please link me to them and I will directly answer them (provided, again, it's not the question I have repeatedly explained I'm not going to address here).

My Blog
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2014, 12:04 PM
You know what, Makle, You can sit here and blame me for wasting your time all you want. I asked you directly why JS credibility wasn't called into question, and instead of simply saying, "we forgive him." you launched into a diatribe about how he was never convicted, he was a teenager, blah blah blah. I didn't look down my nose at anyone....Did I bring up my education as part of the conversation? Nope. Did I haughtily "cover my ass" and tell you how much I know? Nope.

Thanks for playing. The snout comment was really the cherry on top of your shit sunday. Smile

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
16-01-2014, 12:07 PM
(16-01-2014 11:59 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 11:55 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  snout? Ha. What am I, a little pig?

No, you're a human person. It's a rhetorical adaptation of "glare down your nose." I'm trying to do what you advocate in your signature line. Certainly you don't reserve the right to be a little rhetorically insulting from time to time only to yourself.

Opposed to a nonhuman person? Blink

Of course, I love rudeness and disrespect, but usually with people I know, who understand my tone, and satire. I'm not rude or disrespectful to someone I've just met. Drinking Beverage

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
16-01-2014, 12:12 PM
(16-01-2014 12:01 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 11:59 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  He has asked you 5 times. You refuse to answer his question through misdirection that all he has to do is ask you. He has asked you. Answer him.

I have responded to every direct question I've come across, as far as I know. If I've missed his direct questions, please link me to them and I will directly answer them (provided, again, it's not the question I have repeatedly explained I'm not going to address here).

I'm paraphrasing here because I do not want to dig through to find the exact quotes but he asked you, point blank, what you get out of the BoM if you don't believe it is the literal word of god, or its literally true, historically accurate, or literally divinely inspired? Put the semantics word game down please, playtime is over.

16-01-2014, 12:16 PM
(16-01-2014 12:01 PM)maklelan Wrote:  

But that one question is at the heart of all of the others. So your not answering it makes the rest of the discussion nearly pointless.

We can read for ourselves what the official stance of the Mormon Church is, we don't actually need you to interpret and obfuscate.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-01-2014, 12:17 PM
(16-01-2014 12:04 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  You know what, Makle, You can sit here and blame me for wasting your time all you want. I asked you directly why JS credibility wasn't called into question, and instead of simply saying, "we forgive him." you launched into a diatribe about how he was never convicted, he was a teenager, blah blah blah.

You repeated the assumption that he was convicted three times, emphasizing the conviction as the key point. I both pointed out that he was never convicted of anything and argued that I didn't think it impugned his integrity. Your response was to belabor your incorrect assumption about his conviction:

(16-01-2014 12:04 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  OK. so my take away here is that the LDS believes he was wrongly convicted, or that somehow history is wrong? Consider

Since I live in NY, I have personally gone to Wayne County and looked up the records. Whether or not you minimize what he has done, or if you believe that the charges were bogus, the fact of the matter is that he was, in fact, convicted of fraud by a trial of his peers.

Correction: I meant I have been to Wayne county to see the supposed birthplace of LDS. I have gone to Chenango county to view the court record.

Falling back to how much the trial affected his credibility only came later when you saw the conviction was a rhetorical dead end.

(16-01-2014 12:04 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I didn't look down my nose at anyone....Did I bring up my education as part of the conversation? Nope. Did I haughtily "cover my ass" and tell you how much I know? Nope.

You certainly expressed a lot of disdain and incredulity vis-à-vis anyone who would attach themselves to an organization founded by someone for which you have so much hatred and distrust.

(16-01-2014 12:04 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Thanks for playing. The snout comment was really the cherry on top of your shit sunday. Smile

It was not my intention to suggest you were a pig, and I apologize if that's what came across. On the other hand, you might think twice about how sensitive you are if you had to deal with a fraction of the insults and derision to which I'm subjected on a daily basis here.

My Blog
16-01-2014, 12:19 PM
(16-01-2014 12:07 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I'm not rude or disrespectful to someone I've just met. Drinking Beverage

I disagree. You quite rudely dismissed me and my explanation of the situation with the 1826 trial, as I've explained several times to you.

My Blog
16-01-2014, 12:21 PM
(16-01-2014 12:12 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I'm paraphrasing here because I do not want to dig through to find the exact quotes but he asked you, point blank, what you get out of the BoM if you don't believe it is the literal word of god, or its literally true, historically accurate, or literally divinely inspired? Put the semantics word game down please, playtime is over.

If that is his question, and he's welcome to clarify, then it's the very issue I've explained over and over again that I'm not going to address. I have stated this in multiple threads well before the questions have ever come up. I made it perfectly clear that that issue is a never-ending black hole that I'm not interested in going down.

My Blog
16-01-2014, 12:24 PM
(15-01-2014 11:45 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 11:33 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  MAK - So if you did not join for the caring people, and there is horrifying behavior done on the part of LDS, and you view all religions as having somewhat of a mythical basis, then why did you join?

That's my business, and I've already explained multiple times here that I will not be going into it. Assume all you want about my motivations.

I guess we are left to our assumptions without his honest answer, which would have made these discussions move along much more smoothly IMO.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
16-01-2014, 12:27 PM
(16-01-2014 12:21 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 12:12 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I'm paraphrasing here because I do not want to dig through to find the exact quotes but he asked you, point blank, what you get out of the BoM if you don't believe it is the literal word of god, or its literally true, historically accurate, or literally divinely inspired? Put the semantics word game down please, playtime is over.

If that is his question, and he's welcome to clarify, then it's the very issue I've explained over and over again that I'm not going to address. I have stated this in multiple threads well before the questions have ever come up. I made it perfectly clear that that issue is a never-ending black hole that I'm not interested in going down.

then why the fuck do you keep opening that hole in your face and keep claptrapping if there is no point in any discussion in which you won't answer questions central to your faith? Frusty Honestly, whats the point of talking about faith, if you refuse to answer why you believe?

[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post