12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2014, 03:49 PM
RE: 12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism
(16-01-2014 03:46 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 03:43 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I'd say the story of the Lost Tribe of Israel is not some kind inconsequential "single detail". No Concentrate please.

How do you figure? The only possible real world relevance would be to patriarchal blessings, but even there the lineage is not conceived of as literal and physical.

Ok. Lets get this part out of the way. What part - in this entire book - is literal? Because whatever inaccurate parts or inconsistencies are brought to topic, your response is "oh thats not literal"

So lets address what is literal, so there can be no more doubleplay. What is literal in the BoM?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
16-01-2014, 03:54 PM
(16-01-2014 02:58 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 01:21 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Right, so lets see if I can't break this down it itty-bitty little words small enough for you to understand and not hurt your frail ego.

Hey, I'm not the one running home to mommy because someone shoved me on the playground.

[Image: h2941AF54]

(16-01-2014 02:58 PM)maklelan Wrote:  I'm not defending my cult, I'm defending honest and objective historical and ideological criticism. I will do the exact same for Judaism or the Bible as I will for Latter-day Saints and the Book of Mormon. If you're really here to get at the bottom of why I'm a Mormon then you're gonna have a bad time. If you start burping up accusations and assumptions just to try to nag me into answering your questions, you're gonna have a bad time. We can all get along a lot better if you would just let me function on my terms here and deal with what I'm saying rather than than why you think I'm saying it.

I'm sorry, what was that part again? Consider

(16-01-2014 02:58 PM)maklelan Wrote:  ...I'm defending honest and objective historical and ideological criticism.

Coming from the same guy who said...

(16-01-2014 02:58 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 01:21 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Great. You've already mentioned that "again you seem to think I am trying to defend the Book of Mormon", implying that you are not in fact here to defend it's historicity. Okay then. How and why do you personally square that circle?

I'm not trying to square any circle. I'm not fully invested in any particular dogma about the Book of Mormon apart from that it was the result of inspiration. Its historicity is not a concern of mine.

So you support historical criticism of your religion even though you don't care at all about the historicity of the book your religion is founded on? Wait, what? So you simultaneously don't want people to be misinformed about the history of your religion on one hand, yet you don't care whether or not it's actually true? That sounds very much like apologetic claptrap.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-01-2014, 03:55 PM
(16-01-2014 03:46 PM)maklelan Wrote:  It's not my problem that you guys can't figure me out.

I had you figured out about 300 post ago. My "internet phsycoanalysis abilities" filled in the rest after that.Wink

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
16-01-2014, 03:57 PM
(16-01-2014 03:54 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 02:58 PM)maklelan Wrote:  Hey, I'm not the one running home to mommy because someone shoved me on the playground.

[Image: h2941AF54]

(16-01-2014 02:58 PM)maklelan Wrote:  I'm not defending my cult, I'm defending honest and objective historical and ideological criticism. I will do the exact same for Judaism or the Bible as I will for Latter-day Saints and the Book of Mormon. If you're really here to get at the bottom of why I'm a Mormon then you're gonna have a bad time. If you start burping up accusations and assumptions just to try to nag me into answering your questions, you're gonna have a bad time. We can all get along a lot better if you would just let me function on my terms here and deal with what I'm saying rather than than why you think I'm saying it.

I'm sorry, what was that part again? Consider

(16-01-2014 02:58 PM)maklelan Wrote:  ...I'm defending honest and objective historical and ideological criticism.

Coming from the same guy who said...

(16-01-2014 02:58 PM)maklelan Wrote:  I'm not trying to square any circle. I'm not fully invested in any particular dogma about the Book of Mormon apart from that it was the result of inspiration. Its historicity is not a concern of mine.

So you support historical criticism of your religion even though you don't care at all about the historicity of the book your religion is founded on? Wait, what? So you simultaneously don't want people to be misinformed about the history of your religion on one hand, yet you don't care whether or not it's actually true? That sounds very much like apologetic claptrap.

Clap I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed his contradiction. I was so confused, I thought perhaps there was something wrong with my reading comprehension skills. You just happened to say it more eloquently than I. Bowing

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 3 users Like Cathym112's post
16-01-2014, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2014 04:47 PM by maklelan.)
(16-01-2014 03:49 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Ok. Lets get this part out of the way. What part - in this entire book - is literal? Because whatever inaccurate parts or inconsistencies are brought to topic, your response is "oh thats not literal"

So lets address what is literal, so there can be no more doubleplay. What is literal in the BoM?

Don't know and don't care. It's relevant to me on a devotional level for what I get from it, not how historical any part of it is.

My Blog
16-01-2014, 04:42 PM
(16-01-2014 03:55 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  I had you figured out about 300 post ago. My "internet phsycoanalysis abilities" filled in the rest after that.Wink

Yeah, I can tell from your insightful and penetrating assessments.

My Blog
16-01-2014, 04:47 PM
(16-01-2014 03:54 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  So you support historical criticism of your religion even though you don't care at all about the historicity of the book your religion is founded on?

Yes. I support sober and objective historical and ideological criticism of all religions.

(16-01-2014 03:54 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Wait, what? So you simultaneously don't want people to be misinformed about the history of your religion on one hand, yet you don't care whether or not it's actually true?

I don't care whether or not the Book of Mormon is historical or not. You're conflating the Book of Mormon with "the history of [my] religion." Those are two entirely separate issues.

(16-01-2014 03:54 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That sounds very much like apologetic claptrap.

No, I'm just not committed to any particular conclusion about the Book of Mormon's historicity and am happy to support whatever the evidence suggests. My primarily field of study is the Hebrew Bible, though. That's where I've arrived at the most firm conclusions and will stake the most claims.

My Blog
16-01-2014, 04:48 PM
(16-01-2014 03:47 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  tell me then, what was horribly rude about my first statement to you.

I already spelled it out for you in detail and quoted the relevant comments. I guess you didn't read the post.

My Blog
16-01-2014, 05:01 PM
(16-01-2014 04:40 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 03:49 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Ok. Lets get this part out of the way. What part - in this entire book - is literal? Because whatever inaccurate parts or inconsistencies are brought to topic, your response is "oh thats not literal"

Don't know and don't care. It's relevant to me on a devotional level for what I get from it, not how historical any part of it is.

So you have no rational basis for your faith, correct?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-01-2014, 06:03 PM
(15-01-2014 04:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  false, everything is false.

And at long last, in a most roundabout and circuitous manner, we find ourselves on common ground. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post