12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 07:16 AM
RE: 12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism
(17-01-2014 06:03 AM)jaxx Wrote:  What number are we on here...(making one up)

23. Ok, I was taught that women can not enter the highest levels of heaven without being sealed to a man. During your sealing you will each be given a password so that can find each other in heaven.

Neither women nor men are thought to be able to achieve the highest soteriological level without being married. This is not some requirement limited to women, although the whole question of priesthood does get into inequalities. There are many factions working against that.

(17-01-2014 06:03 AM)jaxx Wrote:  Also, Chippy you sounded like a pompous ass back there. Get over yourself.

Good thing we have you around to make sure everyone knows when they're being too conceited.

My Blog
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes maklelan's post
17-01-2014, 07:25 AM
(17-01-2014 07:16 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 06:03 AM)jaxx Wrote:  What number are we on here...(making one up)

23. Ok, I was taught that women can not enter the highest levels of heaven without being sealed to a man. During your sealing you will each be given a password so that can find each other in heaven.

Neither women nor men are thought to be able to achieve the highest soteriological level without being married. This is not some requirement limited to women, although the whole question of priesthood does get into inequalities. There are many factions working against that.

(17-01-2014 06:03 AM)jaxx Wrote:  Also, Chippy you sounded like a pompous ass back there. Get over yourself.

Good thing we have you around to make sure everyone knows when they're being too conceited.

I believe you, this was what I was taught, however. We be uneducated Mormon country-folk.

To the second point, you're welcome. Just doing my duty Smile
17-01-2014, 08:47 AM
(16-01-2014 12:34 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 12:27 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  then why the fuck do you keep opening that hole in your face and keep claptrapping if there is no point in any discussion in which you won't answer questions central to your faith?

I've explained this multiple times over as well. I'm here to correct misunderstandings and misconceptions. I'm not here to be the pant leg against which the more randy posters on this board all get their emotional rocks off.

(16-01-2014 12:27 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Frusty Honestly, whats the point of talking about faith, if you refuse to answer why you believe?

Because the whole point of me being here is mitigating misunderstanding and misrepresentation. Talking about my personal reasons for my faith is absolutely immaterial. I've thought about this far, far more than any of you have, so please don't insult my intelligence by trying to convince me I'm an idiot. Not only are you barking up the wrong tree, but you're just wasting more and more of that precious time about which you every now and then seem so very concerned.

Well apparently the GOOD News is - the Mormon church is teaching people how to go to internet sites and be sarcastic, insulting asswipe trolls.
So......... there's that....

which is a good thing because we ALL know the very next step after all that blatant anger and inability to NOT explain your faith in a decent manner IS deconversion.
So
There's that too.

Thumbsup

Starting to seriously understand why Ex-Mormons make the best atheists!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
17-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Aw, it is so heart warming to see that the two conceited jackasses have each other's back. Touching!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
17-01-2014, 09:01 AM
(17-01-2014 08:48 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Aw, it is so heart warming to see that the two conceited jackasses have each other's back. Touching!

Timber, if there's a member here who appreciates Maklelan's point of view I must have missed it. Please say who you mean. K?

17-01-2014, 09:05 AM
(17-01-2014 09:01 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 08:48 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Aw, it is so heart warming to see that the two conceited jackasses have each other's back. Touching!

Timber, if there's a member here who appreciates Maklelan's point of view I must have missed it. Please say who you mean. K?

Chippy. Who else?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
17-01-2014, 09:11 AM
(17-01-2014 09:05 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 09:01 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Timber, if there's a member here who appreciates Maklelan's point of view I must have missed it. Please say who you mean. K?

Chippy. Who else?

Well damn. Chippy? Really? But I consider him pretty smart (?) That actually surprises me. Crap - Now I have to GO READ the entire stupidly painful thread again. Shocking

*sigh*
this sucksWeeping

Oh second thought - No. Evil_monster
I refuse to read through this much dribble. I'll just take your word for it Cathym.

17-01-2014, 09:13 AM
If the point of Mormonism is to arrive at the truth, yet the BoM, is not: 1) historically accurate and therefore not historically reliable; and 2) it's not literal, literal in truth and literal in meaning, then what follows is that faith is an unreliable method for reaching the truth.

And if the point of Mormonism is to arrive at the truth, yet you must have faith in order to follow this particular epistemology, and faith is an unreliable way to reach the truth, then you are excercising what chippy loves to say (since his thoughts are phallicly centered) a circle jerk.

So the literalness and fictionality of any faith literature is actually quite central and important, since the purpose of faith is to determine the truth.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 3 users Like Cathym112's post
17-01-2014, 09:17 AM
(17-01-2014 07:16 AM)maklelan Wrote:  Neither women nor men are thought to be able to achieve the highest soteriological level without being married.
Soteriological level ? Is that a level beyond a super saiyan ? Shocking

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
17-01-2014, 09:29 AM
(17-01-2014 09:13 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  If the point of Mormonism is to arrive at the truth, yet the BoM, is not: 1) historically accurate and therefore not historically reliable; and 2) it's not literal, literal in truth and literal in meaning, then what follows is that faith is an unreliable method for reaching the truth.

And if the point of Mormonism is to arrive at the truth, yet you must have faith in order to follow this particular epistemology, and faith is an unreliable way to reach the truth, then you are excercising what chippy loves to say (since his thoughts are phallicly centered) a circle jerk.

So the literalness and fictionality of any faith literature is actually quite central and important, since the purpose of faith is to determine the truth.

Cath-- I really like the post. However, I'm not sure the purpose of faith is to determine the truth(?) Faith and truth can be very opposite things. Rarely, IMHO do they ever even intersect.