12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 09:53 AM
RE: 12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism
(15-01-2014 09:45 AM)jaxx Wrote:  Also, do you have link to your first statement regarding Israelite Mito DNA--your statement does not provide enough info.

No, I'm not getting into this thread-derailing argument again, primarily because you've yet to show me that you can actually think critically about the assumptions you're making about me and any one of my points.

My Blog
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2014, 09:54 AM
(15-01-2014 09:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  What parts are true, to what extent, and their meaning must be determined by convenience; according to evolving social climate; divine inspiration. (so, just like all scripture...)

No, that's not my position at all.

My Blog
15-01-2014, 09:59 AM
(15-01-2014 09:52 AM)maklelan Wrote:  So which printing are you judging as poor literature, then? Are you saying that good literature is unilaterally unrevised and unedited?

No, but that one that supposed to be the literal, inerrant, direct word of God should be.

To the other statements, I find them completely, unnecessarily condescending and I will engage you no further. Good luck with whatever your mission is in this forum.
[+] 3 users Like jaxx's post
15-01-2014, 10:01 AM
(15-01-2014 09:59 AM)jaxx Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 09:52 AM)maklelan Wrote:  So which printing are you judging as poor literature, then? Are you saying that good literature is unilaterally unrevised and unedited?

No, but that one that supposed to be the literal, inerrant, direct word of God should be.

To the other statements, I find them completely, unnecessarily condescending and I will engage you no further. Good luck with whatever your mission is in this forum.

Good move Jaxx. This dog won't hunt.
Cool

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
15-01-2014, 10:01 AM
(15-01-2014 09:30 AM)maklelan Wrote:  No, I offered more than that but given that I work at the Church's headquarters, am in daily communication with numerous members and leaders literally around the world, and have taught and led the church in multiple different states and three different continents, I would suggest that my "personal experience with the LDS church" carries a bit more weight than you seem to be suggesting.
Yeah, no, that's entirely irrelevant to the point I made. Your personal experiences do not invalidate Dark Phoenix' experiences.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
15-01-2014, 10:05 AM
(15-01-2014 09:59 AM)jaxx Wrote:  No, but that one that supposed to be the literal, inerrant, direct word of God should be.

Inerrancy is not a tenet of the LDS Church, and I and very few of the Latter-day Saints I know believe that any printing of the Book of Mormon is the "literal . . . direct word of God." So, it does appear you are just projecting your a priori assumptions about my beliefs onto me. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't do that.

(15-01-2014 09:59 AM)jaxx Wrote:  To the other statements, I find them completely, unnecessarily condescending and I will engage you no further.

Oh, I'm the one being condescending? Am I the one who made cracks about going back to "College Composition 101" just for rhetorical effect?

(15-01-2014 09:59 AM)jaxx Wrote:  Good luck with whatever your mission is in this forum.

My mission is to educate people so misunderstandings and misrepresentations don't continue to be proliferated.

My Blog
15-01-2014, 10:07 AM
(15-01-2014 10:05 AM)maklelan Wrote:  very few of the Latter-day Saints I know believe that any printing of the Book of Mormon is the "literal . . . direct word of God."

That's gonna leave a markLaughat

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
15-01-2014, 10:12 AM
(15-01-2014 09:54 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 09:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  What parts are true, to what extent, and their meaning must be determined by convenience; according to evolving social climate; divine inspiration. (so, just like all scripture...)

No, that's not my position at all.

Uh, right. Except...

The doctrine of your church (as all churches) has changed over time.

Likewise, the scripture of your church (as all scripture) is not and cannot be completely and literally true.

Views on both being, conveniently enough, well in accordance with the zeitgeist as a whole (give or take some lag time!).

... this is my signature!
15-01-2014, 10:20 AM
(15-01-2014 10:01 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Yeah, no, that's entirely irrelevant to the point I made. Your personal experiences do not invalidate Dark Phoenix' experiences.

No, it's not irrelevant at all. As I pointed out, he may certainly have had some of these experiences, but the ones I rejected are largely exceptions that arise from the direct violation of the Church's stated positions and practices. In light of the fact that he is trying to insist those experiences are fundamentally characteristic of the Church as a whole, I am perfectly justified in pointing out the fallacy of his claims and my more accurate perspective. He's also demonstrably in error about certain claims about the official positions and policies of the broader faith community.

My Blog
15-01-2014, 10:22 AM
(15-01-2014 10:12 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Uh, right. Except...

The doctrine of your church (as all churches) has changed over time.

I've never said otherwise.

(15-01-2014 10:12 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Likewise, the scripture of your church (as all scripture) is not and cannot be completely and literally true.

I've never said otherwise.

(15-01-2014 10:12 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Views on both being, conveniently enough, well in accordance with the zeitgeist as a whole (give or take some lag time!).

I've never said otherwise, so, again, this isn't my position at all.

My Blog