12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 10:36 AM
RE: 12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism
The NO 1 Reason why you should reject Mormonism :-
Joseph Smith was a fucking white supremacist!

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
15-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Maklelan, were do you believe the Pacific Islanders came from?

15-01-2014, 10:38 AM
(15-01-2014 10:36 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  The NO 1 Reason why you should reject Mormonism :-
Joseph Smith was a fucking white supremacist!

In precisely the same way Abraham Lincoln was a white supremacist, but this is quite presentistic.

My Blog
15-01-2014, 10:41 AM
(15-01-2014 10:38 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Maklelan, were do you believe the Pacific Islanders came from?

The current Pacific Islanders? From Southeast Asia, primarily.

My Blog
15-01-2014, 10:43 AM
(15-01-2014 10:20 AM)maklelan Wrote:  No, it's not irrelevant at all. As I pointed out, he may certainly have had some of these experiences, but the ones I rejected are largely exceptions that arise from the direct violation of the Church's stated positions and practices. In light of the fact that he is trying to insist those experiences are fundamentally characteristic of the Church as a whole, I am perfectly justified in pointing out the fallacy of his claims and my more accurate perspective. He's also demonstrably in error about certain claims about the official positions and policies of the broader faith community.
I'd appreciate it if you were to respond to my actual argument for once.

I have been arguing that you cannot claim that his experiences are "completely false" based on your own experiences because they aren't worth more than his. You have yet to address this point in any of your responses.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
15-01-2014, 10:44 AM
(15-01-2014 10:41 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 10:38 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Maklelan, were do you believe the Pacific Islanders came from?

The current Pacific Islanders? From Southeast Asia, primarily.

Oh wow! You got that correct! Thumbsup

I thought you were just going to go with what your religion tells you to believe, but I guess you don't accept everything that Mormonism tells you after all.

15-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Ugh, why do I do this to myself?

Inerrancy is not a tenet of the LDS Church, and I and very few of the Latter-day Saints I know believe that any printing of the Book of Mormon is the "literal . . . direct word of God." So, it does appear you are just projecting your a priori assumptions about my beliefs onto me. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't do that.
Fine, Joseph Smith just declared it as "the most correct of any book on earth." Interpret that as you will.

Oh, I'm the one being condescending? Am I the one who made cracks about going back to "College Composition 101" just for rhetorical effect?

I was not personally attacking you. You entered this thread of your own accord and it would have been naive of you to think that your beliefs would go uncontested. However, referring to my intellectual capacity as that of a 4 year old or my supposed failure to prove that I possess the critical thinking skills to comprehend your "science" is condescending and personally insulting. Very Christian of you.
[+] 2 users Like jaxx's post
15-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Lightbulb RE: 12 Reasons You Should Reject Mormonism
I do have an entirely respectful question, Dan, if I may ask it ?
Can you briefly tell me, or link me to somewhere where you explain, what is it, with your vast scope of knowledge, that you find essentially "compelling" about the LDS community ? ((I, for example, find European Western (Christian) monasticism "compelling" ... but not essentially "believable", for reasons I'm not sure I can explain .. but I suppose are mostly "aestheic" in nature)).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-01-2014, 11:04 AM
(15-01-2014 10:48 AM)jaxx Wrote:  Fine, Joseph Smith just declared it as "the most correct of any book on earth." Interpret that as you will.

I'll interpret it according to a couple criteria. First is what he said immediately following: "a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts than by any other book." That is, the book is teaches the most correct principles. Second is his consistent and repeated insistence on the imperfection of the transmission and translation of scripture. That, combined with the complete and total absence of any concept of inerrancy from the lexicon or ideology of the Church compels me to conclude that inerrancy isn't a part of it at all.

(15-01-2014 10:48 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I was not personally attacking you. You entered this thread of your own accord and it would have been naive of you to think that your beliefs would go uncontested. However, referring to my intellectual capacity as that of a 4 year old or my supposed failure to prove that I possess the critical thinking skills to comprehend your "science" is condescending and personally insulting. Very Christian of you.

I'm not referring to your intellectual capacity as that of a four-year-old. That is a quite common colloquialism that simply has reference to the most basic and simple explanations of concepts. I apologize if you took it to be a characterization of your mental capacity. That was not my intention.

My Blog
15-01-2014, 11:17 AM
(15-01-2014 10:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I do have an entirely respectful question, Dan, if I may ask it ?
Can you briefly tell me, or link me to somewhere where you explain, what is it, with your vast scope of knowledge, that you find essentially "compelling" about the LDS community ? ((I, for example, find European Western (Christian) monasticism "compelling" ... but not essentially "believable", for reasons I'm not sure I can explain .. but I suppose are mostly "aestheic" in nature)).

As far as the community is concerned, I find Latter-day Saints to be among the most sincere and genuinely caring people I've met in the Western World. I did not join the community because of that, but I still greatly appreciate how much I see Latter-day Saints helping others out in the various places around the world that I've traveled. That's not to say there are no uncaring people. I have witnessed some horrifying behavior on the part of Latter-day Saints, and a lot of it I attribute to some of the more unthinking rhetoric that some leaders, local and global, appeal to in their discourse. I do have what Krister Stendahl called "holy envy," however, for certain other religious communities, ideologies, and practices, and I participate to the extent that I'm allowed in a number of different religious festivals and celebrations.

My Blog