12-Step Brainwashing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2010, 08:36 PM

RE: 12-Step Brainwashing
(02-10-2010 06:16 PM)Mindprowler Wrote:  My mother kicked booze two years ago with the assistance of the 12 Step Program.
Of course I am glad that she finally kicked the addiction, it makes me feel great to see
her much happier than she was before AA, but I can't help but hold a certain grudge
against AA for the brainwashing that goes on in the program. How does the 12 Step
Program "cure" people? As far as I can tell, all it is doing is replacing their addiction to
alcohol with an addiction to religion. It bothers me to see that my mother can not take
responsibility herself and instead relies on a "higher power" to solve her problems for her.
My older brother is currently addicted to cocaine and it hurts to see my mother sit back
and pray that Jesus Christ himself take control of the situation and help him out.

Sorry, man. That's really rough.
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2010, 06:22 PM
My older brother is currently addicted to cocaine and it hurts to see my mother sit back
and pray that Jesus Christ himself take control of the situation and help him out.

I'm not condoning this but what else would you have her do? Addiction is a disease, a horrible one, and a very tough one to deal with. As a family member, you really don't have a tremendous number of options either. Addicts will not get clean until they are ready, and often not even then.

Sometimes hoping someone will come around is really all you have left. Of course, if you are also enabling them to be an addict, then you're really part of the problem. I'd be me more concerned if she is giving him money or doing anything to sustain his drug use vs. her just going with the prayer route.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2011, 06:34 PM

I freed myself from AA by rejecting the idea that I am a defective and incurably diseased person. If you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas. I was scratching for a while after AA, but I'm sober and self-reliant today, with my belief system intact. I believe in my ability to make good decisions.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gary_Smith's post