12 Year Old Fatally Shot by Police (in Ohio)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2014, 01:47 PM
RE: 12 Year Old Fatally Shot by Police (in Ohio)
(27-11-2014 12:56 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 12:41 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yes, he got up because there was a cop car headed straight for him. Prior to that he was just sitting there. Contrast this video with the one with the old drunk guy. When you see that first patrol car pull up, he realizes what's going on and then backs the fuck up to a safe perimeter in order to assess the situation.

And everyone in that scenario got to make it home alive.

The old drunk guy wasn't waiving his gun around and didn't make a motion like he was possibly going to shoot the gun at police. The reason they pulled up so close to the kid was probably because they thought he wasn't a threat but as they got closer the kid was walking towards them reaching for the gun in his waistband, they probably feared for their saftey and lives by then and took action. It's sad that a child had to die but if someone is walking towards you reaching for a gun in their waistband, not knowing if its real or fake, your going to take it as a threat.

Either way, a calm approach ensures nobody dies needlessly. The cops fucked up.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
27-11-2014, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2014 02:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
Malcolm Gladwell's Blink has an excellent compare and contrast of the NYPD officers who shot an unarmed innocent man 41 times (all of whom, unlike Wilson, regretted and could not explain their decision to shoot) to an old black cop who was staring down a kid with a gun and didn't shoot. "I didn't feel it had escalated to the point where I needed to kill the kid. I knew he wasn't going to shoot me." (paraphrased) Blink is an excellent read.

#sigh
27-11-2014, 02:28 PM
(27-11-2014 01:47 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Either way, a calm approach ensures nobody dies needlessly. The cops fucked up.

Only if the weapon does turn out to be a replica. If the guy had been a nutjob who wanted to kill someone a calm approach could have led to multiple fatalities.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
27-11-2014, 02:40 PM
(27-11-2014 08:30 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Don't know if Cleveland does psych evals or not - my husband's department is very thorough with its background investigations, psych evals, and ethics eval. Doesn't mean the occasional POS disgrace doesn't slip through, but that could be said of any field.

Yabut Huntsville ain't Cleveland. Hell Huntsville ain't even Alabama. Big Grin

#sigh
27-11-2014, 02:40 PM
(27-11-2014 02:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 01:47 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Either way, a calm approach ensures nobody dies needlessly. The cops fucked up.

Only if the weapon does turn out to be a replica. If the guy had been a nutjob who wanted to kill someone a calm approach could have led to multiple fatalities.

There are probably thousands of ways to avoid getting shot by a child with a real gun without killing the child. I thought cops were actually trained for that stuff.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
27-11-2014, 02:44 PM
(27-11-2014 02:40 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  There are probably thousands of ways to avoid getting shot by a child with a real gun without killing the child. I thought cops were actually trained for that stuff.

As far as I'm aware there aren't. It doesn't matter the age of the person, if you're facing someone with a gun who is a threat to the lives of you and those around you you shoot to kill, it's that simple.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
27-11-2014, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2014 02:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-11-2014 08:30 AM)Nurse Wrote:  My husband almost shot a youth pastor that failed to follow directions - he made a traffic stop and the guy got out of his vehicle with his hands reaching in his back pocket and failed to show his hands nor did he stop when ordered - he was trying to pull out his wallet. My husband was pissed - that almost cost the dude his life and put my husband potentially in jail.

But hubby didn't shoot. That's what I expect from a well-trained cop. Cops need to be the connoisseurs of threat able to distinguish the subtle differences between threat levels unlike any civilian can. Rookie cop that killed that kid was more of a threat glutton seeing threats everywhere and failing to consider the level.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-11-2014, 03:06 PM
(27-11-2014 02:44 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 02:40 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  There are probably thousands of ways to avoid getting shot by a child with a real gun without killing the child. I thought cops were actually trained for that stuff.

As far as I'm aware there aren't. It doesn't matter the age of the person, if you're facing someone with a gun who is a threat to the lives of you and those around you you shoot to kill, it's that simple.

You're telling me that there is absolutely no way to immobilize an armed person without killing him?

Boy, there should be many more deaths by cops' gunshots then.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
27-11-2014, 03:09 PM
(27-11-2014 02:44 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

Race in like a cowboy with guns-a-blazin. Sounds like the best way to keep the public safe.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-11-2014, 03:13 PM
(27-11-2014 03:06 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 02:44 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  As far as I'm aware there aren't. It doesn't matter the age of the person, if you're facing someone with a gun who is a threat to the lives of you and those around you you shoot to kill, it's that simple.

You're telling me that there is absolutely no way to immobilize an armed person without killing him?

Boy, there should be many more deaths by cops' gunshots then.

Taser but in a situation where your rolling up and seeing someone going for a gun in their waistband, cops don't tend to go for the taser because a suspect could still shoot someone as they are being tased.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze