12 Year Old Fatally Shot by Police (in Ohio)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2014, 05:02 PM
RE: 12 Year Old Fatally Shot by Police (in Ohio)
(27-11-2014 04:40 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 04:34 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Yes. My five year old knows that running out in the street, pointing a toy gun at someone, touching daddy's guns, opening the knife drawer, and trying to put something in the electrical socket are punishable by spanking.

I suppose, then, it would be fair to say "It was all his fault!" if a kid decides to climb a tree and falls to his death or drinks something poisonous Consider

EDIT
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that just because it was a kid it was all the cop's fault. It's just that kids are expected to be reckless and ignorant (and that is why they are protected by the law) and an adult cop should have been prepared for a situation like this.

There's a difference between climbing a tree and aiming a realistic toy gun at people.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2014, 05:20 PM
(27-11-2014 04:34 PM)Nurse Wrote:  ... - for starters, my husband is a cop.

I would appreciate his read on the Tamir Rose video.

#sigh
28-11-2014, 03:18 AM
So, I'm guessing Al Sharpton isn't done with organizing/funding group activities in Ferguson. Else, there would be rioting in Cleavland. Consider

Anyhoo -

I saw the full video and heard the 911 calls. They weren't sure if the gun was real or not. According to the officers involved, the subject was ordered to stop and put his hands over his head, as they were driving up. Instead, he pointed the gun, (which they weren't sure if it was real or not), in their direction. Do they have voice recorders when they use things like the PA speakers? If so, that claim could be easily checked. If not, were there any witness who heard the PA speakers?

I also have to factor in that most 12 year olds don't carry real guns, and most 12 year olds don't shoot and kill people. But, there is a percentage of 12 year olds who do carry real guns and shoot people. I don't think the cops even knew the kid's age until well after the fact.
28-11-2014, 04:12 AM
(27-11-2014 05:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 04:40 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I suppose, then, it would be fair to say "It was all his fault!" if a kid decides to climb a tree and falls to his death or drinks something poisonous Consider

EDIT
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that just because it was a kid it was all the cop's fault. It's just that kids are expected to be reckless and ignorant (and that is why they are protected by the law) and an adult cop should have been prepared for a situation like this.

There's a difference between climbing a tree and aiming a realistic toy gun at people.

I'm just saying. Kids are kids.
One of my students, a 10 year old boy, told me he wanted to become a cop when he grew up so that he can kill people. Should I call the police for that?
Jeez, they're kids, they should be handled differently.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
28-11-2014, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2014 07:42 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
Part of the problem is when we hear kid, we picture some sweet kid skipping home from sunday school...these days (and even in the past) that is far from the truth sadly.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=5040342

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Jo...rew_Golden

http://listverse.com/2011/05/14/top-10-young-killers/

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_kille...dex_1.html

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most...murderers/

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/real-life/362...sh-history

The statistics are heart breaking....and when the media feeds on the emotion and plasters "Child holding toy gun shot by police" it sparks outrage, or "10 yo child tasered by school resoource officer"...and then you read the report and find out the 10yo was holding a knife to another child's neck threatening to kill them...10...years...old....and that the kid holding the toy gun, wasn't holding a bright orange toy laser gun going bang bang at the trees when the police showed up and shot him, he was holding a gun that looked real, and makes a move with the gun that looks threatening....it is a parent issue, always has been, always will be, we have to talk to our kids about appropriate actions, guns...real or not, interactions with the authorities.....senseless tragedy in this case, but I blame the parents. Sad

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
28-11-2014, 05:31 PM
(28-11-2014 04:12 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 05:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  There's a difference between climbing a tree and aiming a realistic toy gun at people.

I'm just saying. Kids are kids.
One of my students, a 10 year old boy, told me he wanted to become a cop when he grew up so that he can kill people. Should I call the police for that?

No, I'd call a psychologist for that but a kid should be taught that violence is bad and I think by 12 years of age they should know better than to take a toy gun and point it at random passerbys.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
28-11-2014, 07:21 PM
(28-11-2014 05:31 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 04:12 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm just saying. Kids are kids.

No, I'd call a psychologist for that but a kid should be taught that violence is bad and I think by 12 years of age they should know better than to take a toy gun and point it at random passerbys.

I will agree with that. The kid did bring it on himself, I just think it could have been handled better.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-11-2014, 07:52 PM
(28-11-2014 07:21 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 05:31 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  No, I'd call a psychologist for that but a kid should be taught that violence is bad and I think by 12 years of age they should know better than to take a toy gun and point it at random passerbys.

I will agree with that. The kid did bring it on himself, I just think it could have been handled better.

I don't disagree with that either but I'm not gonna say the cops were in the wrong either.

28-11-2014, 08:11 PM
(28-11-2014 07:52 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I don't disagree with that either but I'm not gonna say the cops were in the wrong either.

Well then we must have a duel. Angry

Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Popcorn

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta