12 Year Old Fatally Shot by Police (in Ohio)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2014, 08:35 PM
RE: 12 Year Old Fatally Shot by Police (in Ohio)
(28-11-2014 08:11 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 07:52 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I don't disagree with that either but I'm not gonna say the cops were in the wrong either.

Well then we must have a duel. Angry

Tongue

[Image: RaiseDuelDisk-meme.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
28-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Have at thee!

[Image: Chaos_Duel_Disk_and_Me_by_kevinkjb81_zpsc3aiefhl.jpg]

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
28-11-2014, 09:52 PM
(28-11-2014 08:11 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 07:52 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I don't disagree with that either but I'm not gonna say the cops were in the wrong either.

Well then we must have a duel. Angry

I'll prep the dohyō. My money's on JDog 'cause he's bigger than the heathen.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Quote:One of my students, a 10 year old boy, told me he wanted to become a cop when he grew up so that he can kill people.

At least the kid has a realistic handle on what the job has become.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
28-11-2014, 10:06 PM
(28-11-2014 07:21 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I will agree with that. The kid did bring it on himself, I just think it could have been handled better.

Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it? Drinking Beverage
28-11-2014, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2014 10:38 PM by evenheathen.)
(28-11-2014 09:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 08:11 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well then we must have a duel. Angry

I'll prep the dohyō. My money's on JDog 'cause he's bigger than the heathen.

Did you fucking see my duel disk Girly? Gasp

(28-11-2014 10:06 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it? Drinking Beverage

Not for the kid....anymore. However I wonder how many times those cops are going to replay that moment in their minds for the rest of their lives, wondering how many ways they could've handled that differently. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-11-2014, 10:37 PM
If anyone here was in possession of a firearm that day, and someone in a panic came over to you at the park and told you a kid was playing with what 'seemed' to be a fake gun, would you storm in right up to the kid, like the police cars did in this scenario and not wait 5 seconds before shooting the kid to death?

If the answer is no, or probably not...the police should be held to an even higher standard.

This cop should be prosecuted. The kid had a toy gun and wasn't even given a chance to respond to the cops. One thing is for certain, that cop will have to live with what he did for the rest of his life. He's on 'administrative leave' and is 'broken up' about it, articles have said.

He should not be a police officer.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
28-11-2014, 10:58 PM
(28-11-2014 10:37 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  If anyone here was in possession of a firearm that day, and someone in a panic came over to you at the park and told you a kid was playing with what 'seemed' to be a fake gun, would you storm in right up to the kid, like the police cars did in this scenario and not wait 5 seconds before shooting the kid to death?

If he was going to pull out the gun from his waistband as I was walking up, possibly. If there's a chance the gun could be real, I'm not gonna risk my life. All the kid had to do was keep his hands to his side and not reach for anything.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
28-11-2014, 11:30 PM
(28-11-2014 10:58 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 10:37 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  If anyone here was in possession of a firearm that day, and someone in a panic came over to you at the park and told you a kid was playing with what 'seemed' to be a fake gun, would you storm in right up to the kid, like the police cars did in this scenario and not wait 5 seconds before shooting the kid to death?

If he was going to pull out the gun from his waistband as I was walking up, possibly. If there's a chance the gun could be real, I'm not gonna risk my life. All the kid had to do was keep his hands to his side and not reach for anything.

Less than 5 seconds transpired between when the car arrived, and the cop started shooting.

He's a kid. He probably was startled. Who knows. Why is all the benefit of the doubt going to an adult, and not the 12 yr old?

Be true to yourself. Heart
28-11-2014, 11:39 PM
(28-11-2014 11:30 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 10:58 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  If he was going to pull out the gun from his waistband as I was walking up, possibly. If there's a chance the gun could be real, I'm not gonna risk my life. All the kid had to do was keep his hands to his side and not reach for anything.

Less than 5 seconds transpired between when the car arrived, and the cop started shooting.

He's a kid. He probably was startled. Who knows. Why is all the benefit of the doubt going to an adult, and not the 12 yr old?

So should all the benefit of the doubt go to the 12 year old since he is just a 12 year old? when as GwG pointed out, many around his age have used real guns and shot people besides, I'm not giving either the benefit of the doubt, I can see how they could have done things differently but I can also see why they did what they did.