12 Year Old Fatally Shot by Police (in Ohio)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2014, 08:48 PM
RE: 12 Year Old Fatally Shot by Police (in Ohio)
(26-11-2014 06:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 03:49 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  They didn't wait because the kid was reaching for the gun and they didn't know at the time that it was not real. As soon as the officer pointed his gun at the child, the child should have put his hands in the air.

There's no audio with the video but it doesn't look like the kid was given enough time to even react to any orders. Not even to drop the gun.

If you see a cop pull up your first reaction is not try and pull a gun fake or not from your waistband. If you pulled up to someone and as you were pulling up saw them reach for a gun in their pants you tell me you wouldn't want to take action? If a cop is coming towards me I wouldn't need any audio orders, its obvious I would not try and pull a gun from my waist, real or not. I'd wait for them to pull up and talk to them. They did not know the gun was fake and they took the action of the kid reaching for the gun in his waistband as a threat.

(26-11-2014 06:51 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 06:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There's no audio with the video but it doesn't look like the kid was given enough time to even react to any orders. Not even to drop the gun.

Yes, I thought this, too.

What crime was this child committing? This realistic looking toy gun is apparently legally sold here in the states, so....guess I'm missing what crime he was committing?

He was waving a gun around in public, pointing it at people. Even if fake, if the orange tip was removed, its more than enough to scare people. Toy guns are sold with orange tips, orange tips are by law required to be on toy guns to signify they are not real. If he had the orange tip on the gun, the cops probably would have never been called because passerbys would have realized it was a toy and not real.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2014, 08:53 PM
(26-11-2014 08:48 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  If you see a cop pull up your first reaction is not try and pull a gun fake or not from your waistband.

It is if they order me to drop my gun. How else I'm gonna do that?

#sigh
26-11-2014, 08:58 PM
(26-11-2014 08:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 08:48 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  If you see a cop pull up your first reaction is not try and pull a gun fake or not from your waistband.

It is if they order me to drop my gun. How else I'm gonna do that?

Well by that time its safe to do that, not before they give you that order.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
26-11-2014, 09:02 PM
(26-11-2014 08:58 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 08:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It is if they order me to drop my gun. How else I'm gonna do that?

Well by that time its safe to do that, not before they give you that order.

What if that's the first order they gave me and then shoot me for reaching for my gun?

#sigh
26-11-2014, 09:05 PM
(26-11-2014 09:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 08:58 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Well by that time its safe to do that, not before they give you that order.

What if that's the first order they gave me and then shot me for reaching for my gun?

I think that depends on where you point the gun when your taking it out of your waistband, if you keep it pointing down and they shoot you then they are in the wrong, if you point it at them though then its a different story.

26-11-2014, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2014 09:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-11-2014 09:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 08:58 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Well by that time its safe to do that, not before they give you that order.

What if that's the first order they gave me and then shoot me for reaching for my gun?

I'm just gonna cut to the chase here. I think it's likely that the white Ferguson cop and the white Cleveland rookie cop both were in fear for the lives. Just as I think it's likely that the principle component of their fear was the color of Brown's and Rice's skin. Big white doofy kid and freckled-face white kid with a soft pellet gun would be alive today. I'd bet bank on it. The standards for the entrance psych eval to be a cop need to be raised. Hell I'm guessing many jurisdictions don't even require a psych eval. Not everyone who wants to be a cop should be a cop. I daresay it's a disqualifying factor for most.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Would anyone ever actually order someone to drop their gun if it isn't already in their hands? That just seems monumentally stupid.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
26-11-2014, 09:13 PM
(26-11-2014 09:10 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Would anyone ever actually order someone to drop their gun if it isn't already in their hands? That just seems monumentally stupid.

Probably not.

26-11-2014, 09:16 PM
(26-11-2014 09:10 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Would anyone ever actually order someone to drop their gun if it isn't already in their hands? That just seems monumentally stupid.

Or you want an excuse to shoot me.

#sigh
26-11-2014, 09:51 PM
http://apnews.excite.com/article/2014112...79058.html

Quote:CLEVELAND (AP) — The police officer who fatally shot a 12-year-old boy carrying a pellet gun fired within 1½ to 2 seconds of pulling up in his cruiser, police said Wednesday. During those few moments, he ordered the youngster three times to put up his hands, they said.

3 times in less than 2 seconds? Quite a trick.

Quote:The patrol officer who shot Tamir was identified Wednesday as Timothy Loehmann, a 26-year-old rookie who began his career in Cleveland on March 3. He previously spent five months in 2012 with a department in suburban Independence, but four of those months were in that city's police academy.

So a rookie cop, driving up to a kid in a park, evaluates the situation in less than 2 seconds and blows the kid away.

Yeah. Sure.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post