12 Year Old Fatally Shot by Police (in Ohio)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2014, 12:29 AM
RE: 12 Year Old Fatally Shot by Police (in Ohio)
The cops are fucked either way in these situations. If they pull up to a potential lethal threat and quickly remove that threat then are accused of abusing their power. If they are more cautious and a passerby gets shot because of it they are accused of failing to protect people. It's a lose-lose situation.

It's tragic that the kid died but tbh, if I'm ever out in public and someone starts waving what appears to be a gun around, I hope the police don't stop to try and get the suspect to fill out a 97 page document in triplicate on whether his intentions are malicious or not. I hope they neutralise that threat to my life in the most efficient way possible. If that means shooting someone who has failed to follow police instructions and is acting in a way that most people would consider hostile (reaching for a potential weapon), then so be it.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
27-11-2014, 01:01 AM
(27-11-2014 12:29 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I hope they neutralise that threat to my life in the most efficient way possible. If that means shooting someone who has failed to follow police instructions and is acting in a way that most people would consider hostile (reaching for a potential weapon), then so be it.

Shoot first and ask questions later...not what I'd expect from you Hughsie.....

The fact that, in no way was the suspect described as a threat (immediate or otherwise, in fact it was questionable per the 911 callers as to whether or not it was a real gun) should have been a major factor in how these cops chose to assess the situation before applying deadly force? It's unclear when and how the officers were clearly telling the 12 yr old to drop the weapon in a manner he could understand before they were two feet from him in the car and firing.

I may be unaware of some details of the situation, but as of viewing the video I'm a little pissed off that these cops were unable to even attempt to preserve life and liberty rather than kill it. Even if the stupid kid shouldn't have been playing with a gun in public.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-11-2014, 01:02 AM
(27-11-2014 12:29 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  The cops are fucked either way in these situations. If they pull up to a potential lethal threat and quickly remove that threat then are accused of abusing their power. If they are more cautious and a passerby gets shot because of it they are accused of failing to protect people. It's a lose-lose situation.

It's tragic that the kid died but tbh, if I'm ever out in public and someone starts waving what appears to be a gun around, I hope the police don't stop to try and get the suspect to fill out a 97 page document in triplicate on whether his intentions are malicious or not. I hope they neutralise that threat to my life in the most efficient way possible. If that means shooting someone who has failed to follow police instructions and is acting in a way that most people would consider hostile (reaching for a potential weapon), then so be it.

Yabvut, your coppers don't carry guns. So there's that. Tongue

#sigh
27-11-2014, 06:52 AM
(27-11-2014 01:01 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 12:29 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I hope they neutralise that threat to my life in the most efficient way possible. If that means shooting someone who has failed to follow police instructions and is acting in a way that most people would consider hostile (reaching for a potential weapon), then so be it.

Shoot first and ask questions later...not what I'd expect from you Hughsie.....

The fact that, in no way was the suspect described as a threat (immediate or otherwise, in fact it was questionable per the 911 callers as to whether or not it was a real gun) should have been a major factor in how these cops chose to assess the situation before applying deadly force? It's unclear when and how the officers were clearly telling the 12 yr old to drop the weapon in a manner he could understand before they were two feet from him in the car and firing.

I may be unaware of some details of the situation, but as of viewing the video I'm a little pissed off that these cops were unable to even attempt to preserve life and liberty rather than kill it. Even if the stupid kid shouldn't have been playing with a gun in public.

The 911 caller thinking it could be a toy is irrelevant. He has no way of knowing for sure it's not a real gun and neither do the Police officers for whom it would be their lives in danger if it was.

[Image: oscar.png]
27-11-2014, 08:30 AM
(26-11-2014 07:50 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  What crime was the child committing? Still not seeing it.

Menacing. That's the crime.

It's tragic. I refuse to watch a video of the death of a 12 year old, so I'm not going to weigh in too much on the cop's actions and whether he shot too early or was "justified." The whole scenario makes me sick to my stomach.

I will say that cops don't usually ask someone to pull out their weapon. More like - keep your hands where I can see them, get on the ground, and then they get frisked and the officer removes any weapons found in the search. My husband almost shot a youth pastor that failed to follow directions - he made a traffic stop and the guy got out of his vehicle with his hands reaching in his back pocket and failed to show his hands nor did he stop when ordered - he was trying to pull out his wallet. My husband was pissed - that almost cost the dude his life and put my husband potentially in jail.

I never asked my trauma and psych patients to hand me their weapons if they came in via ambulance - everyone got searched. You start reaching for your weapon when I ask if you have any, I slam your ass to the stretcher or the ground - don't care if it offends you and you 'mean no harm' - I don't know you. I'll remove the weapon myself, thank you very much. Nurse ain't gettin' cut. Fortunately, I've pulled fewer guns off people than knives - but those patients were already incapacitated from the extensive trauma - usually Gasp shocker - gun shot wounds. If you came in via the lobby - you'd already been through the metal detector.

Don't know if Cleveland does psych evals or not - my husband's department is very thorough with its background investigations, psych evals, and ethics eval. Doesn't mean the occasional POS disgrace doesn't slip through, but that could be said of any field. Most spend a lot of time, effort and money to prevent it. Think you're getting hired to his department with credit problems? Nope - puts you at a higher risk for corruption (true story - they wanted to hire a guy with great credentials, but internal affairs said hell no after my husband concluded his investigation revealing money trouble). A history of DUIs knocks you out, and getting a DUI while employed for the department will get you placed on administrative leave without pay, followed by termination after the conclusion of an investigation. Even having a marital affair will get you terminated, because it points to unethical conduct. About the only thing they let slide is a history of smoking pot as a teen and underage drinking. (I used to smoke with a few of them back in high school Angel - and then we all grew up to be contributing members of society).

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
27-11-2014, 09:00 AM
(27-11-2014 06:52 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 01:01 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Shoot first and ask questions later...not what I'd expect from you Hughsie.....

The 911 caller thinking it could be a toy is irrelevant. He has no way of knowing for sure it's not a real gun and neither do the Police officers for whom it would be their lives in danger if it was.

Which is why approaching the situation with a little caution would have been a win win for everyone.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-11-2014, 10:27 AM
From what I've read the police were not told it may only be a toy gun. The dispatcher didn't pass that on. They were also not aware of his age, when the officer radioed through that shots had been fired he said the suspect was "maybe 20".

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
27-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Oh so 20 year olds can be gunned down for no good reason.

Interesting way of looking at things. Do you consider yourself 'pro-life' too?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
27-11-2014, 11:12 AM
(27-11-2014 10:42 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Oh so 20 year olds can be gunned down for no good reason.

If you call waving a weapon around and so potentially endangering the lives of every person in the vicinity "no good reason" then I don't think we're gonna agree on this.

Perhaps we should take away all the police's weapons, arm them with hugs, and leave anyone who won't be placated by a hug free to do as they please?

Of course, I'm sure you wouldn't take this approach if you were walking down the street and someone pointed a gun at you.

Best
Worst
27-11-2014, 11:18 AM
(27-11-2014 11:12 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 10:42 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Oh so 20 year olds can be gunned down for no good reason.

If you call waving a weapon around and so potentially endangering the lives of every person in the vicinity "no good reason" then I don't think we're gonna agree on this.

Perhaps we should take away all the police's weapons, arm them with hugs, and leave anyone who won't be placated by a hug free to do as they please?

Of course, I'm sure you wouldn't take this approach if you were walking down the street and someone pointed a gun at you.

When the cops showed up he was just sitting on a bench with the gun in his waistband. I'd be willing to bet he got scared when the cruiser pulled straight up on the grass next to him and he was reaching for the gun saying, "Wait! Look, it's only a BB g-"-BLAM!!!!

Nice work, rookie. Let's go get some coffee.

~ Umberto Eco