1284 new exoplanets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 03:38 PM
1284 new exoplanets

"NASA's Kepler mission has verified 1,284 new planets – the single largest finding of planets to date."

"In the newly-validated batch of planets, nearly 550 could be rocky planets like Earth, based on their size. Nine of these orbit in their sun's habitable zone, which is the distance from a star where orbiting planets can have surface temperatures that allow liquid water to pool. With the addition of these nine, 21 exoplanets now are known to be members of this exclusive group."

[Image: kepler_all-planets_may2016.jpg?itok=4ZCpII0D]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Paleophyte's post
10-05-2016, 03:51 PM
RE: 1284 new exoplanets
Awesome! ^^
10-05-2016, 04:02 PM
This is exciting news. It seems that the view that Earth is the only planet that life evolved on is becoming more and more improbable as we learn more about the universe.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
10-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Based on this new information, have there been published any updated estimates of the number of earth-like planets in habitable zones around stars in the known universe?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
10-05-2016, 04:19 PM
(10-05-2016 04:08 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Based on this new information, have there been published any updated estimates of the number of earth-like planets in habitable zones around stars in the known universe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

Gotta love science. I would be astonished if there wasn't life of some form or other somewhere in this vast universe.
10-05-2016, 09:55 PM
(10-05-2016 04:02 PM)Vosur Wrote:  This is exciting news. It seems that the view that Earth is the only planet that life evolved on is becoming more and more improbable as we learn more about the universe.

I nearly named this thread "Telegram for Frank Drake" before realizing that might raise hopes too high.

I remember an interview from way back on how anybody could punch any number into the Drake equation since it was more or less a matter of opinion. I forget who they had for the Nay side but they had Carl Sagan for the Yays. His numbers are turning out to be much clooser to the mark thus far.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
10-05-2016, 10:04 PM
(10-05-2016 04:08 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Based on this new information, have there been published any updated estimates of the number of earth-like planets in habitable zones around stars in the known universe?

The analysis is very recent but somebody might have crunched the numbers already. To give you a sense of it, they think that they have found 21 Earth-sized planets in the habitable zone, all relatively nearby, and all using a probe launched in 2009 that had jammed reaction wheels, only detects planets that pass between us and their primary and looked at a patch of sky this big:

[Image: kepler_fig9.jpg]

Imagine how many they haven't found yet!

---
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
11-05-2016, 09:50 AM
And we already know Kenny boy's reaction to the news..........and the potential for life elsewhere in the universe.

[Image: 23909092614_28f54e84d3_c.jpg]

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
11-05-2016, 11:11 AM
I won't be surprised when we find life in our own Solar System. Probably Mars. Thumbsup