14 and stuck

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2014, 06:06 PM
14 and stuck
So since I was about seven, I've had doubts about God's existence. I literally used to call him "Mr. Scientist", and my parents were freaked out, because, of course, they believed in God like a child believed in Santa Claus. When we read the bible in Sunday school, I would cry and get angry, and I'm pretty sure my parents thought I was a devil child because they would pray for me and drag me to church all the time. I told my parents I was Atheist when I was thirteen and they didn't believe me. They said that I was crazy and doubtful because I'm a teenager. But oh, look! I'm 14, and still a reasonable atheist with big dreams and a good boyfriend. They continually force me to attend church and I have most of the bible implanted into my brain because of it. They refuse to accept my atheism, and when I came out to my friends they refused to speak to me again. I'm still a good kid, I mean, heck, I'll be valedictorian, and last week I turned in a kid for offering me drugs at school. My parents and grandparents still doubt me and claim I don't love them. My sister put six crosses in my room and said "they're to keep the devil away." I was wondering if anyone is going through something similar? Anyone out there wanna rant with me? Thanks for reading my atheist story!! ~k
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jumping_over_nerds's post
03-03-2014, 06:40 PM
RE: 14 and stuck
(03-03-2014 06:06 PM)jumping_over_nerds Wrote:  So since I was about seven, I've had doubts about God's existence. I literally used to call him "Mr. Scientist", and my parents were freaked out, because, of course, they believed in God like a child believed in Santa Claus. When we read the bible in Sunday school, I would cry and get angry, and I'm pretty sure my parents thought I was a devil child because they would pray for me and drag me to church all the time. I told my parents I was Atheist when I was thirteen and they didn't believe me. They said that I was crazy and doubtful because I'm a teenager. But oh, look! I'm 14, and still a reasonable atheist with big dreams and a good boyfriend. They continually force me to attend church and I have most of the bible implanted into my brain because of it. They refuse to accept my atheism, and when I came out to my friends they refused to speak to me again. I'm still a good kid, I mean, heck, I'll be valedictorian, and last week I turned in a kid for offering me drugs at school. My parents and grandparents still doubt me and claim I don't love them. My sister put six crosses in my room and said "they're to keep the devil away." I was wondering if anyone is going through something similar? Anyone out there wanna rant with me? Thanks for reading my atheist story!! ~k

well that kind of situation with your family sucks. There are lots of teens here, some are in the closet, some don't have problems at home, some have varying degrees of disagreements with their parents about religion.

Congrats on the valedictorian status. What are your plans after high school?

If I was in your situation, I just wouldn't bother with the religion topic with family. I like living in a peaceful house so I would just avoid the topic and get on with other things until I could get out on my own. Will you be able to attend any school? Or are they pressuring you to attend religious schools?

glad you found TTA. jump right in and enjoy the fun.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
03-03-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm working on screenwriting and law right now, thanks so much for the advice and feedback!!
03-03-2014, 08:49 PM
(03-03-2014 07:08 PM)jumping_over_nerds Wrote:  I'm working on screenwriting and law right now, thanks so much for the advice and feedback!!

Good combination.

This means that you can do something about all those crappy Hollywood courtroom dramas.

Make sure you write some powerful scenes about NOT swearing one's oath on the bible.

And, welcome.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-03-2014, 08:49 PM
I sympathize with you, dear. But I'm 64 and here's what I have learned in those extra 50 years. Assholes like your family are everywhere. But they will not always have power over you. They mean well - within their own limited mentality - and they do not appreciate the plain fact that they are driving an invisible wedge between themselves and you which will cause lots of grief later on. Right now, all they know is that you are young and that they being older gives them some claim to wisdom. It does not. They are indoctrinated fools.

You are stuck with them now. There is precious little you can do about that. But it will not always be so. I know that at 14 a term of 4-5 years sounds like a life sentence but...I have shirts older than you. (I really should clean out my closet.) Do what you need to do to survive and maintain your sanity. If you come here to vent your frustrations everyone will understand.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
03-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the advice!! I have shirts older than me too, and I'll definitely be using this website often!! Thanks again!!
[+] 1 user Likes jumping_over_nerds's post
05-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Welcome aboard!

I wouldn't go so far as to call your family a bunch of assholes. Your parents were raised their entire lives to think a certain way and believe certain things. I just recently went from theism to atheism at 28 years old, and it was not an easy change. Being a teenager, you'll have to deal with your parents not accepting your atheism yet. Teenagers (even well balanced teenagers), are still teenagers. There is a lot of development happening at this stage of your life, and your parents want to make sure they guide you on the right path. While you may not enjoy or agree with going to church, you can at least appreciate that your family is trying to instill you with a set of morals and values. And while placing some crossed pieces of wood around will likely not change your life in anyway, it sounds like your sister loves you and is concerned with protecting you.

You could have it a lot worse. I'd say read the bible. Read it like you'd read norse or greek mythology. Talk to your parents about it and see if you can start a discussion/ debate on one small part. You're not going to convert them, or get them to accept your atheism over night, but maybe you can demonstrate through these discussions that you are paying attention, thinking about what you're being taught, and what you read doesn't reconcile with how you and your family live.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
05-03-2014, 10:46 AM
I don't have any good advice for your situation, but there are are really good people here so come to us anytime! We'll be available to hear you out whenever you need an ear. Or eye, as it were..

Best of luck with your parents, like Jesse said, they just want to raise you well, even if they're misguided. Try to show your love for them, too.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
07-03-2014, 09:27 PM
You have good intelligient capablities, yet you said you are "stuck".

If IQ temporarily can't solve the problem, maybe a little more EQ points will do, which is to use ration to let your anger and other emotions flow. Maybe you can read one or two books on this subject.

Want something? Then do something.
07-03-2014, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 12:15 AM by GirlyMan.)
At your age I started reading Nietzsche, Sartre, and Camus. That's all I got. You are on your own bitch. ... Consider... Realize it bitches.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.