15,000 Scientists Warn On Climate Change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2017, 10:33 AM
RE: 15,000 Scientists Warn On Climate Change
Well, when we have complete incompetent dolts like this idiot who that fucking other idiot, trump, nominated for CEQ (Council for Environmental Quality) then the world is doomed.

I posted these two videos in the other thread about global warming but I thought I'd post them here too. It's a face-palming extravaganza of stupidity.

Here's the longer, ten minute version.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2017, 11:54 AM
(14-11-2017 10:09 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(14-11-2017 08:45 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I got plenty of shotgun shells.
We could just take all the supplies from the gun control advocates.
More room for beer.

You can come for my stuff whenever you've had enough Dutch courage. Drinking Beverage

We' ll take you up on that if we ever need a supply of KY jelly and an assortment of extra large buttplugs.....

We know where to look...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-11-2017, 02:56 PM
(14-11-2017 11:54 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-11-2017 10:09 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You can come for my stuff whenever you've had enough Dutch courage. Drinking Beverage

We' ll take you up on that if we ever need a supply of KY jelly and an assortment of extra large buttplugs.....

We know where to look...

I'm sure you use a lot of those. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2017, 06:24 PM
(14-11-2017 06:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Not disagreeing... But...

There may be safety in numbers, but truth in numbers? Remember, at one time pretty much everyone was convinced that the world was flat and the center of the universe...

Good point. The 15,000 scientists who've signed the warning account for a mere 0.20% of the estimated 7.8 million accredited scientists across the planet.
[UNESCO Science Report, Towards 2030, 2013 ]

And like Biker, I'm not disagreeing in any way that climate change and global warming is disturbingly real, but simply throwing around apparently "large numbers" is not the right way to mount an argument—it's not evidence for this claim, or any other claim for that matter.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
18-11-2017, 12:53 PM
I'm with you, but I have a few issues with this approach.
- It's not Earth that we're concerned with saving. It's our way of life & possibly our ability to survive that's at risk. Even if it gets bad enough to wipe us out, Earth with continue to exist. We're the ones at risk. When talk goes from saving ourselves to saving Earth, it is easier for those that need to be convinced to write it off as fear-mongering.
- People shouldn't be expected to believe because x number of people with y credentials make a claim. The important part is what the evidence shows. All the evidence I've seen supports their conclusion. The article fortunately does discuss evidence, but by leading with a headline focused on numbers of claimants, it risks turning it into a popularity contest before readers reach the evidence.
18-11-2017, 04:17 PM
I use these kind of reports to reach out to the home-schoolers, the kids who are getting God thrown at them every second of the day. They need to know that the case is far from closed.
23-11-2017, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2017 12:36 AM by Deltabravo.)
It's accepted science that the climate has been warming for quite some time. The Thames river in London iced over in the winter only a couple of hundred years ago. The end of the last ice age, which we are in, has nothing to do with human activity. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/at...-1.2653641
So, this trend of warming which is not related to human activity...did it stop? Did the world's climate, but for human activity, become a constant? How did this happen and when? How do you separate non-human factors, ie., solar activity, from human activity?

I'd be interested to know if there is any science on this.
23-11-2017, 12:12 AM
(23-11-2017 12:02 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  It's accepted science that the climate has been warming for quite some time. The Thames river in London iced over in the winter only a couple of hundred years ago. The end of the last ice age, which we are in, has nothing to do with human activity.

So, this trend of warming which is not related to human activity...did it stop? Did the world's climate, but for human activity, become a constant? How did this happen and when? How do you separate non-human factors, ie., solar activity, from human activity?

The science is clear on this: the climate is warming more rapidly than it ever has and that difference is due to human activity.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-11-2017, 03:39 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2017 04:02 AM by Deltabravo.)
(23-11-2017 12:12 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-11-2017 12:02 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  It's accepted science that the climate has been warming for quite some time. The Thames river in London iced over in the winter only a couple of hundred years ago. The end of the last ice age, which we are in, has nothing to do with human activity.

The science is clear on this: the climate is warming more rapidly than it ever has and that difference is due to human activity.

You didn't answer the question.

The climate has cooled as well. To what extent is climate influenced by solar activity and has the world's temperature become constant so that we can definitively say that ALL climate change is due solely to human activity (llike the flood was definitely caused by man's wickedness, lol)?

Show me some science which addresses this.

If the same science shows that there was no increase in temperature for a period when human activity should have caused an increase in temperature, ie.,http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...ve-it.html , then during that period, there has to have been a cooling to offset this man-caused increase in temperature. Or, the records are flawed. The prevailing theory puts up a different theory to explain away what are "considered" to be anomalies.

I'm just asking a question. How do we know the planet won't go into a cooling phase next year, in ten, twenty years, or heat up well beyond anything humans could be responsible for? Is climate, apart from human activity, a constant?
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
23-11-2017, 06:13 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2017 06:39 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(23-11-2017 03:39 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I'm just asking a question. How do we know the planet won't go into a cooling phase next year, in ten, twenty years, or heat up well beyond anything humans could be responsible for? Is climate, apart from human activity, a constant?

The Earth's climate has changed quite a bit over millions of years. Because of natural weathering which slowly removes CO2 from the atmosphere, the climate has slowly cooled over time, with occasional spikes due to flood basalt eruptions throwing massive amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere. Those events are typically associated with the mass extinctions of ages past.

For the last couple millions of years, we've been phasing in and out of ice ages. Those changes are associated with orbital variations of the Earth around the Sun, which are enhanced by various feedback loops.

Climate can also vary with changes in solar output and smaller volcanic eruptions. The former don't very often last long, and the latter most commonly cause a temporary cooling effect because of particulates thrown into the atmosphere. There are also changes to climate which are associated with specific areas, like the warming during the Middle Ages. Those are regional rather than global.

Because the Earth's orbit is now nearer to circular than it has been for many thousands of years, the beginning of another ice age would likely have been delayed for several more tens of thousands of years. And now with humans throwing more CO2 into the atmosphere, we are likely to skip the next ice age altogether.

Scientists have checked all the other variables. Satellite measurements show a slight decrease in solar output during the last several decades. All volcanic activity is accounted for. Orbital variations occur over much longer periods. Incorporating all these variables into our best models can't account for the observed warming. Only the burning of fossil fuels which accumulate CO2 in the atmosphere, deforestation, and the emissions of other greenhouse gases like methane and nitrous oxide can account for the present observed warming. And they more than account for the warming, since something like 50% of emitted CO2 is absorbed by the oceans, causing ocean acidification. (Over 90% of the warming is also absorbed by the oceans.)

We have gone from 280 ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere to over 400 ppm since the beginning of the industrial revolution. The biggest problem with CO2 is that it stays in atmosphere for hundreds and thousands of years once it's there. So we are changing our climate for centuries to come. Most other greenhouse gases, several of which are more powerful that CO2, have much shorter lifespans in the atmosphere. Water vapor cycles in and out in a matter of days, methane decays into CO2 within decades.

The reason the Paris Climate Agreement aimed to keep warming below 1.5 to 2.0 degrees C is because of the positive feedback loops which may kick in somewhere above those increases in average global temperatures. Once the melting of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets gets well under way, they can't be stopped easily. Similarly, the melting permafrost in the northern hemisphere can release great amounts of additional but presently frozen CO2 and methane, which may make global warming uncontrollable.