15 questions for Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2011, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2011 06:02 PM by ghostexorcist.)
15 questions for Atheists
I'm posting this here because it has to do with science...

Shockofgod has started a "Question Evolution" campaign. He claims that it will cut the number of American atheists by 50%. He seeks to do this by challenging us to answer his "15 Questions For Evolutionists." You can see the questions on this pamphlet pdf:

http://creation.com/images/pdfs/flyers/1...ists-s.pdf

I will attempt to answer them without looking at any source material. You will notice that my understanding of the subject is very basic because I am not a biology major:

1. The combination of amino acids, proteins, and clay polymers. I don't remember the exact name of the type of clay, but it somehow helps acids and proteins combine easily. This question actually has nothing to do with evolution.

2. DNA developed from simple RNA lifeforms that formed from the aforementioned acids, proteins, and clay polymers.

3. The question actually answers itself (see the pdf).

4. It is the driving force behind evolution because it selects for the minute genetic changes that, when accumulated over millions of years, cause wide scale speciation.

5. I’m not sure on this one.

6. Because they went from simple to complex creatures over hundreds of millions of years. The fossil record shows this.

7. From the simple RNA life forms that developed into the more complex DNA life forms. In other words, the single-celled organisms developed into multi-celled organisms.

8. Again, single-celled organisms that produced asexually developed into multi-celled organisms that required greater genetic variability. Sexual reproduction offers a wider range of this genetic variability.

9. Because the asker is under the wrong assumption that every single creature that has ever died has turned into a fossil. Fossils are derived from fragile living matter. The environmental situation has to be right for the fossils to be calcified. Despite this, there is an impressive mountain of transitional fossils that creationists refuse to accept. This is mainly because their concept of evolution involves one creature turning into a completely unrelated one, like a snake into a rabbit.

10. Because they fit into the niche of their particular environment. A new mutation may not make such a creature any better suited for the area that they live in. This means the creature with this variation will probably die out quicker. If the environment where a creature lives does not greatly change, there is no reason for them to take on new adaptations.

11. Life is worth living because this is the only one you have. People can live meaningful lives by getting an education, getting married, having children, producing art, feeding the hungry, etc. Thinking that life is not worth living because there isn’t a God is just plain silly. Another one that has nothing to do with evolution.

12.The question seems to be saying that evolution is not scientific because it explains everything. It is scientific because anything in the past like DNA testing could have easily debunked it. Everything up to that point had been taxonomic analysis. Any new breakthrough can still falsify it, so it is still scientific. Beyond this, the fact that evolution explains so much just shows how valid it is.

13. The best example I can come up with is vaccines for malicious organisms.

14. Because speciation takes place over a very long period of time. Even if it takes 2 years for a geographically partitioned bunch of related creatures to branch off into two different species that can’t mate, a scientist cannot be present for every second. Lenski’s E Coli experiment is a good example of observed speciation. It was impossible for them to have watched the evolution to have happened at the exact moment, but their analysis shows that it did. Evidence after the fact is still evidence.

15. Simply put, evolution is based on evidence, not faith. It has withstood 150 years of empirical testing to be widely accepted in the scientific community. Darwin and his writings are respected, but not coveted. No wars have ever been fought in the name of evolution. As Dawkins has pointed out, the difference between a “passionate Darwinist” and a “religious fundamentalist” is that a fundy will not change their mind. If a new theory somehow manages to destroy evolution, rational people will be more than happy to accept it. Hundreds of years ago, science thought the world was flat. Now we know it is round. This is not flip-flopping, it’s called “advancement.”

I'm sure others on here can answer some of the earlier ones in more detail.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
13-06-2011, 07:14 PM
RE: 15 questions for Atheists
Soooo, he hopes to "convert" 50% of atheists through a giant Argument from Ignorance pamphlet?

"I don't know how this happened and can't be bothered with a science book or a google search, therefore God exists?"

And what does this have to do with atheists? 50% less atheists? Even if Shock wasn't quote mining and appealing to the mindless, and actually had cogent arguments that disproved evolution... how would that affect the number of atheists? Once again, a theist assumes that "atheist" is synonymous with "faith in science."

Also, the first 9 questions are the same exact question; the origin of life as we know it. And the rest are pure biased rhetoric. I would expect nothing less from the Special Olympic Bronze Medal Winner that is SoG.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Buddy Christ's post
13-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Not to sound cocky or anything but another issue with this whole idea to me would be, that I believe the majority of atheists are the type of people who came to the idea of atheism because they actually spent some time thinking about it, looking at the evidence and rational thought to decipher it. It's like this questionnaire is targeting the wrong demographic of people. It seems as though he's using it by showing it to other fundies and having them all agree that there is no way they could answer those questions so there must be no way to answer them, INSTA WIN!!! way to go great leader.

Oh no wait never mind. I just read it, and now I'm converting back to Christianity. He got me. those questions can't be answered, he was right. Stupid atheists.
Oh I also like how in the background they have a monkey. They just can't get over their tired old question of "If we evolved from monkeys than why are there still monkeys" it's like the strongest argument they think they have.

Oh brother.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
13-06-2011, 09:06 PM
The Gnu Atheists should get together and make a kickass "15 questions for christians" pamphlet, and say that it will deconvert 47.8% of christians. Tongue

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like daemonowner's post
13-06-2011, 09:13 PM

It hurts my head to think about how stupid ShockOfGod must be to ask some of these questions... and then to predict they will cause anyone with half a brain cell to become a Christian. Didn't he say that he used to be an atheist, but then became a Christian when he realized he couldn't "prove atheism was correct"? I can't begin to imagine how his mind works.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zach's post
13-06-2011, 09:22 PM
After reading the questions I can safely say that they are morons.

10: That's stabilising selection.

The quotes of scientists they keep referencing are so crap. Any scientist who said any of those statements would automatically lose all credibility due to being an idiot.

15: That is so fucking ironic, given their intents.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
13-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Disproving evolution won't prove the bible/God. Ignoring proof or fact for evolution won't prove the bible/God either.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
14-06-2011, 06:08 AM
(13-06-2011 09:06 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  The Gnu Atheists should get together and make a kickass "15 questions for christians" pamphlet, and say that it will deconvert 47.8% of christians. Tongue

Why put work into something when we don't need to? The bible is more effective at deconverting than any pamphlet we could devise, the trick will be to guilt them into reading it.
[+] 4 users Like LeighJones's post
14-06-2011, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2011 07:22 AM by ghostexorcist.)
Here is the source of the pamplet:

http://creation.com/question-evolution

Watch the video on the linked page, it's hilarious. Apparently "thought provoking T-shirts and other attention grabbing paraphernalia" are going to debunk evolution. We should be quaking in our boots!
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
14-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Most of those questions are good ones. I would recommend everyone asking those. To biology professors, because there are answers. Without the cocky attitude that not knowing the answer personally somehow disproves evolution.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
[+] 1 user Likes ashley.hunt60's post