19 Firefighters killed in Arizona blaze.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
19 Firefighters killed in Arizona blaze.
The heat wave that has produced 120+ F temperatures in the southwest United States sparked a voracious wildfire, which has killed 19 firefighters from the Prescott fire dept.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/30/us/arizona...=allsearch

(CNN) -- Nineteen firefighters were killed Sunday battling a blaze in Arizona, the state forestry division said.

The vast majority were from Prescott, said Wade Ward with the Prescott Fire Department.

State forestry official Art Morrison said the firefighters were members of a "hotshot" crew, tasked with digging a fire line and creating an escape route.

"In normal circumstances, when you're digging fire line, you make sure you have a good escape route, and you have a safety zone set up," Morrison said. "Evidently, their safety zone wasn't big enough, and the fire just overtook them."

The crew was fighting the Yarnell Hill fire, which broke out Friday northwest of Phoenix. The fire has grown to 1,000 acres, damaged three homes and forced the evacuations of residents in the communities of Peeples Valley and Yarnell, Morrison said.

Authorities believe lightning sparked the blaze.

Not including the 19 deaths reported in Arizona, there have been 43 firefighter fatalities reported so far in 2013, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. A total of 83 firefighters died last year while on duty.

A Facebook page in memory of the Arizona firefighters was created Sunday night.

"Such a tragic loss. My heart aches for these brave souls, and for their families and friends," wrote one.

"I pray for the families and the town of Prescott. RIP," wrote another.

Along with the EF-5 tornadoes we saw out in OK, this spring, this is just another result of slow man made climate change. It's now becoming more and more serious.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2013, 08:10 PM
RE: 19 Firefighters killed in Arizona blaze.
MODERATORS: Move this to the world news section, por favor.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
01-07-2013, 08:29 PM
RE: 19 Firefighters killed in Arizona blaze.
That's sad Sad

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Arizona Inmates on Bread & Water for defacing flag Bows and Arrows 59 909 31-05-2014 04:53 AM
Last Post: earmuffs
  Children in chemical attack video were kidnapped by rebels then killed later. I and I 19 677 15-09-2013 07:20 PM
Last Post: I and I
  Free Syrian army leader killed by Alqaeda I and I 2 268 15-07-2013 09:38 AM
Last Post: earmuffs
  Philippine Coast Guard killed a Chinese fisherman HU.Junyuan 2 246 10-05-2013 08:34 AM
Last Post: HU.Junyuan
  Two UK police killed. bemore 17 854 18-09-2012 04:37 PM
Last Post: Hughsie
  Bunch of miners killed in South Africa earmuffs 14 918 22-08-2012 07:40 PM
Last Post: Hughsie
Thumbs Up Top jihadist leader killed, followers say GassyKitten 3 363 05-06-2011 09:48 PM
Last Post: gaglamesh731