1950s and 1960s (1800's?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2014, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 09:50 AM by thespiritualanarchist.)
1950s and 1960s (1800's?)
Please help me with my preface that I am writing for my book.

I am trying to show that the 1950's was painted nostalgically based on the values that would later lead to the religious right. Also I am trying to show that thanks to these values civilization did not progress much past the 1800's and the times of slavery. But at the same time I am trying to show how I saw my parents values (50's) affected me growing up and how the culture wars today are related to all this.

I need to make this more clear and concise and of course correct for any ambiguity or historical errors.

Any help comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(The full preface can be read by clicking the link above)

In 1970 The Creation Science Research Center was set up by Henry M. Morris, along with Nell and Kelly Segraves, at the Christian Heritage College

And just the year prior to that another organization was forming. The Union of Concerned Scientist was founded in by scientists and students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

That year, the Vietnam War was at its height and Cleveland’s heavily polluted Cuyahoga River had caught fire.

Appalled at how the U.S. government was misusing science, the UCS founders drafted a statement calling for scientific research to be directed away from military technologies and toward solving pressing environmental and social problems.

So let us begin with some events leading up to 1970 because I want to establish that the culture war between the Liberal Left and the Religious Right was just starting to really heat up by 1970 the year that I entered this plane of existence on Earth.
And I want to give my observations on what my perspective was of this clash of ideologies and how this shaped my perspective on the importance of philosophy to the progress of civilization.

My parents both grew up in the 50's. In their time everyone knew their place. Women were domesticated and were not good for anything beyond making babies and cleaning house. Black people stayed on their side of the street out of the schools with white children and the back of the bus. Gays were ostracized and persecuted and even beaten. As were women and children.

By the time I was 8 or 9 Feminism was a big movement as was the Civil Rights Movement.

The Civil Rights movement began to gain its first victory with Rosa Parks in 1955. In 1956 Martin Luther King was bombed and Alabama was fighting hard for Segregation. Wife abuse was rampant both sexual and violent. But nothing in the Bible contradicted this treatment of minorities.

In fact the Bible never has a bad word to say about slavery though it does have a few things to say about marriage and obeying your husband. Both wives and black people were treated as property since the 1800's and by the 1950's not much had changed.
For over a hundred years Christianity has opposed freedom and dignity for minorities every step of the way.

It is only as the 1950s come to a close does the Civil Rights Movement truly gain momentum.

In 1957 under President Dwight D. Eisenhower the U.S. federal government passes the first civil rights bill since 1875.

It is not until 1961 that Desegregation is truly allowed in response to the "Freedom Rides" organized by the Congress of Racial Equality, the Interstate Commerce Commission orders the desegregation of all buses, trains, and terminals.

In 1963, 7 years before I was born President John F. Kennedy appeared on national television to announce a new bill that will ban discrimination in all public places.
And Civil rights leaders meet with President John F. Kennedy to discuss planning for the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.

The Voting Rights Act was passed in August of 1965 and was considered to be the most successful piece of civil rights legislation ever adopted by Congress. It states that no person could be denied the right to vote on account of race or color. Making great strides in voters’ rights, the act abolished literacy tests and poll taxes imposed soon after the 15th Amendment of 1870 were ratified, granting blacks the vote.

This was the beginning of the Culture Wars that I would experience the backlashes of during the 70's growing up.

During the 70's many former protesters had become apathetic. But growing up in the 70's introduced me to my parent’s ideas and to the way of thinking of those who grew up in the 50's. And what would pave the way for the Moral Majority and Family Values.
Watching the Televangelists Scandals I realized what religion was all about, Political Power. And I anticipated the Republican Party being hijacked by the Religious Right. Here is an idea of the news stories going on in that time.

…”When Mario Cuomo stressed the words family and values in his speech to the 1984 Democratic convention, he used them in a warmly positive sense. But this year, packaged in a single phrase, the terms are an assertion of moral traditionalism that carries an implicit charge: the other side seeks to undermine the institution of the family by taking a permissive line on (a) abortion rights, (b) homosexual rights and © the "character issue," code words for marital infidelity.

Sometimes pot smoking is included, but sex is most often the common denominator, and the pointing finger includes women who do not center their lives inside the home: the defeated candidate Pat Buchanan includes "radical feminist" in his angry denunciation of those who lack what he considers to be family values.

The use of family as an attributive noun in its modern sense can be traced back to the 18th century, as in Samuel Johnson's 1781 sales pitch for his dictionary: "This Lexicon . . . might become a concomitant to the Family Bible." In that decade, family man was coined, followed a generation later by family circle.

The word family is based on the Latin famulus , "servant"; in 1400, a man's servants included his wife, children and domestic help.”
New York Times ON LANGUAGE; Family Values
By William Safire
Published: September 6, 1992

And so it keeps going back to the 1800s.

Family Values actually translates to the values of slavery. To understand this you must understand what is the basis of our capitalist system and that is the value of and definition of property. And in the 1800’s this included women, children, and slaves.
There is a reason that women take the name of their husband and children take the name of their father. And that reason is the Bible and the values of the slave mentality that it encourages and supports.

When my mom brought me to church I found nothing taught there made sense or felt right. By age 11 I was already reading about mythology and I began to connect the dots. And I was reading Philosophy books by the time I was 13.

The stories told to me like Noah's Ark seemed nonsensical and no more believable than the Greek Mythology I was currently reading.

In fact the story of Eden seemed very familiar to what I read about in the Greek Myth of Pandora.

The more I studied mythology the more I found things in it that had things in common with religion like the virgin birth.

That is right ideas like Virgin Birth and Savior Deities are actually common in Mythology. So common that the Churches had to provide a glib explanation on the devil must have planted stories in the past to mock the Bible.

Yet by the time of higher biblical criticism was being established the church switched tactics and tried to claim there were no similarities between ancient cultures mythology and their own.
I was told by everyone I knew that I was going to go to hell for not believing the Biblical stories were not somehow true. I denied having a soul that could go to hell. In fact I denied anything supernatural.

To me once you proved one supernatural phenomenon you proved them all. So I rejected the soul because it was supernatural.

But this went against my intuition and after several spiritual experiences I turned once again to philosophy. And I found that the only difference between the soul and the mind was that one was immortal. I also delved into what the word supernatural actually meant.

To many people the word Supernatural means not material or matter. By that definition sunlight would be supernatural.

I think it was about 1984 that I first declared myself an Atheist.

And by 1986 when I was only 16 I was reading both Sartre’s “Being and Nothingness” and Richard Dawkins “The Blind Watch Maker”.

By this time I had my heart set on studying Anthropology. I found in my studies that besides Richard Dawkins Scientist had little or nothing to say about what philosophers have been asking for centuries. Such as how did we get here? Is there a God or some Ultimate Nature to Reality?

It was about that time that I took an interest in Quantum Physics starting with Einstein’s Theory of Relativity and going from there.

From there I would move on to Theories of the Mind by Stephen Priest. And I would discover Daniel C Dennet with a birthday present from my mom the book The Mind's I Fantasies And Reflections On Self & Soul.

My interest in Consciousness and the nature of the Soul was sparked and wanted to look even deeper. So the turning point was when I started reading The Dreaming Universe a little shortly after I read Theories of the Mind.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply