1984 - best book ever

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2016, 08:59 AM
RE: 1984 - best book ever
I remember that in 1983 we sold a lot of T-Shirts that said "Beware 1984 is almost here!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2016, 11:29 AM
I really like those infographics, DLJ. I wish I had liked Brave New World more than I did, though. It just didn't touch me the way 1984 did. In fact, I don't know that I was even able to make it all the way through Brave New World. Confused

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
15-05-2016, 11:36 AM
(15-05-2016 08:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."
- George Orwell

So 'The West' didn't let it happen. They got a Brave New World instead.

Lucky, huh?

[Image: orwell-huxley-world.png]

[Image: 2H8gZq5.jpg]

Not sure if examples from Egypt, Turkey and Iran are representative of the world today though.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
16-05-2016, 11:40 PM
(14-05-2016 10:40 AM)Leela Wrote:  Yes at the title.

Trying to not spoil anything (plot etc because maybe someone else wants to read it)

For many years I was told to read 1984 and I remember that when I was little there was a film on TV with this title as well and I was like "wow amazing, that's my birth year!" and I watched it, couldn't follow the plot at all because I was too young and ended up not remembering a thing.
Then I bought the book at some point as a young adult and red 2 sentences. Couldn't focus and put it aside. Moved a few times and lost the book.
Then I played Viscera Cleanup on the computer and needed to listen to something while doing so, so I found 1984 as a audiobook on youtube.

I could not stop listening. It is so well told and the guy who reads it does very well too and in the end (trying not to spoil for those who wanna read it) I was like "whoa fuck!"

Loved it!
Was always wondering where the "big brother is watching you" is coming from. Well now I know. Also now I understand why people throughout the ages always kept saying that this is a book that is always contemporary (if that makes sense).

Anyway, the one sentence from the book that stayed with me, was "Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" (it is even in my signature...)

I have a good friend with who I always wanted to run a LARP. So I proposed that we create a LARP based on the novel 1984. She took that idea very positively so I have been working on that for a while now. Maybe I can write a short LARP or an RPG for one of the conventions around here and run it then. Might be fun too.

If anybody wants to listen to the audiobook as well. Here is the youtube link:
https://youtu.be/auwRj4Yru-E

cheers

bot that I've read your post.. will do so here in a minute... just wanted to point out that tha's the year I was born... lol.... so the book was foretelling of me....XD...

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
17-05-2016, 12:13 PM
It's a good book no doubt about it. Best book ever though? I don't think so.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-05-2016, 12:47 PM
double post
17-05-2016, 12:48 PM
That book is extremely fucking boring. It's so preachy, the entire thing is just an allegorical critique of government. I got through like 25% of it and it just wore me out. Not exciting, it's just this guy describing how bad the world he lives in sucks, and how it's all the government's fault. It's like, yeah we get it, after you read this book you're supposed to be well equipped to understand the problems of the government. I really don't give one single fuck. I would rather read Story Of The Eye, with endless chapters about guys and girls pissing on each other.
17-05-2016, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2016 02:43 PM by undergroundp.)
(17-05-2016 12:48 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  That book is extremely fucking boring. It's so preachy, the entire thing is just an allegorical critique of government. I got through like 25% of it and it just wore me out. Not exciting, it's just this guy describing how bad the world he lives in sucks, and how it's all the government's fault. It's like, yeah we get it, after you read this book you're supposed to be well equipped to understand the problems of the government. I really don't give one single fuck. I would rather read Story Of The Eye, with endless chapters about guys and girls pissing on each other.

Actually, it's a critique of communism, at least the version the USSR supposedly had. But it's also so much more than that. It's really not 100% about governments. I assume you were told before reading it that it's a critique of governments and that that's what it's all about. It's a pity.

If you found it boring, perhaps it's not your thing. I found every single sentence fascinating. If you can't perceive the minor figures of speech and implications hidden in it, I'm sure it sounds very, very boring though.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
17-05-2016, 02:37 PM
(17-05-2016 12:48 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  That book is extremely fucking boring. It's so preachy, the entire thing is just an allegorical critique of government. I got through like 25% of it and it just wore me out. Not exciting, it's just this guy describing how bad the world he lives in sucks, and how it's all the government's fault. It's like, yeah we get it, after you read this book you're supposed to be well equipped to understand the problems of the government. I really don't give one single fuck. I would rather read Story Of The Eye, with endless chapters about guys and girls pissing on each other.

Sigh. Barbarians at the gates. Again. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
17-05-2016, 02:44 PM
I also love this book. I read it for class in high school and then on my own during college. I think a reread is in order soon. I remember being completely lost by the middle part where Winston reads the book (at least my first time) so maybe it'll be clearer now that I'm a bit older and more well-read.